Jump to content

Goodwin & French put names in draft


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Teams in the NBA are now pushing the league to delay draft to no sooner than August 1.  That ought to push things well out for kids that will eventually return to school (hopefully both Goodwin and French).  Could leave college recruiting and rosters in disarray.

So if they do this will the players stay in school and be apart of the teams summer program? I would hope so but don’t know for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/11/2020 at 8:01 PM, willie said:

So if they do this will the players stay in school and be apart of the teams summer program? I would hope so but don’t know for sure. 

Willie

In 2019, guys had until the end of May to return to college - and therefore could not be part of the summer program and still be able to return to school. If the draft does not take place until August 1st, I don't think there will be ANY summer program this year because usually the guys need to be drafted/signed/paid before they play.

French and Goodwin (along with Perkins) would do well to get evaluated, to get feedback and to get more comfortable with the process they will go through next year.   But IMO, this is a bad year to get drafted - and an even worse to leave college early.  Obi is a lock and will get his money - assuming a full 20-21 season and assuming no cut backs due this year's shortened season.  If no finish to this year's season and if money is diverted to veterans and caps are put onto new/rookie player salaries, then even Obi might want to stay another year -- worse things have happened than staying in college with your friends, pursuing the NCAA Championship you were denied this year and making your millions next year.  And taking the chance that no career impacting injury occurs and playing another year in college in exchange for passing on 1/2 to 3/4 of your millions would not be criticized by me. 

But to leave early for guys like French and Goodwin would be reckless and foolish.   Neither will be drafted and neither are as far along as Javon Bess was (though he unfortunately was not healthy)and their ability to make an NBA roster is based upon performance in the summer league/multiple workouts - which this year will be shortened or non-existent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Willie

In 2019, guys had until the end of May to return to college - and therefore could not be part of the summer program and still be able to return to school. If the draft does not take place until August 1st, I don't think there will be ANY summer program this year because usually the guys need to be drafted/signed/paid before they play.

French and Goodwin (along with Perkins) would do well to get evaluated, to get feedback and to get more comfortable with the process they will go through next year.   But IMO, this is a bad year to get drafted - and an even worse to leave college early.  Obi is a lock and will get his money - assuming a full 20-21 season and assuming no cut backs due this year's shortened season.  If no finish to this year's season and if money is diverted to veterans and caps are put onto new/rookie player salaries, then even Obi might want to stay another year -- worse things have happened than staying in college with your friends, pursuing the NCAA Championship you were denied this year and making your millions next year.  And taking the chance that no career impacting injury occurs and playing another year in college in exchange for passing on 1/2 to 3/4 of your millions would not be criticized by me. 

But to leave early for guys like French and Goodwin would be reckless and foolish.   Neither will be drafted and neither are as far along as Javon Bess was (though he unfortunately was not healthy)and their ability to make an NBA roster is based upon performance in the summer league/multiple workouts - which this year will be shortened or non-existent.

Clock,

I can't speak for Willie, but I think he was asking is can players stay in school and still participate in the college's summer programs. Not NBA summer programs. In 2019 if you declared and then came back in May you could definitely participate in your school's summer programs. In 2020, the question is can you participate in SLU activities if you are still declared and potentially waiting for a draft on August 1? Part of that will depend on if the NCAA changes their deadline for withdrawal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Clock,

I can't speak for Willie, but I think he was asking is can players stay in school and still participate in the college's summer programs. Not NBA summer programs. In 2019 if you declared and then came back in May you could definitely participate in your school's summer programs. In 2020, the question is can you participate in SLU activities if you are still declared and potentially waiting for a draft on August 1? Part of that will depend on if the NCAA changes their deadline for withdrawal.

You spoke for me very well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, willie said:

You spoke for me very well. 

Thanks for the clarification but why would a player not be allowed to play and practice with his college teammates over the summer?  Its the NCAA which puts restrictions on being a pro rather than the NBA puttings restrictions on being a college player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks for the clarification but why would a player not be allowed to play and practice with his college teammates over the summer?  Its the NCAA which puts restrictions on being a pro rather than the NBA puttings restrictions on being a college player. 

Hey we are talking the NCAA here. If a player was going to summer workouts run by the league I could see how they would not let you be with your team . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey we are talking the NCAA here. If a player was going to summer workouts run by the league I could see how they would not let you be with your team . 

Funny!  You’re probably right!

Do you or anyone else know where/with whom Bess worked out to get ready last year?  Do most coaches (Ford) work their guys out at school after their season is over?  Do teammates usually volunteer to practice with guys like Bess?  Bess had to finish school/complete exams (or I assume most want to graduate/complete their courses) and not all guys have $ and transportation for private sessions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

What is interesting to me is that it appears the NBA feedback has been flowing.  I wonder if Goodwin and French have heard anything?

-yes, become much better shooters, it has to be, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen any sports for the longest time since JFK was doing MM so maybe I am delirious but unless the NBA has suddenly gotten sh**tier there's no way they have any real need for any of our guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No way does any NBA team take a flier on French until he proves he can shoot at least 60% from FT line.   This summer, I believe French will really work on his FT shot and his midrange shot - and we will be pleasantly surprised this Fall. And next Spring, the NBA will truly give French a chance to make a roster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

What is interesting to me is that it appears the NBA feedback has been flowing.  I wonder if Goodwin and French have heard anything?

Wonder if the NBA suggested he play a different position, play a different role, develop a different skill... and Rhoades said No?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Before people freak out and think one or more of them are gone, note the breakdown of the analytics.

It’s not a prospects ranking, or a draft projection. Jeremiah Tillman was ranked #2. Obi Toppin was #90.

I’m freaking out, man!

well, that certainly is a major difference from the previous post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Before people freak out and think one or more of them are gone, note the breakdown of the analytics.

It’s not a prospects ranking, or a draft projection. Jeremiah Tillman was ranked #2. Obi Toppin was #90.

mi$$ouri is/was so terrible, would think pretty much all of tillman's time was garbage time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking at the stuff from pivot analytics up above and all I can say is that these are based upon statistical analysis of results and perhaps viewing videos of specific games. These are not to be taken seriously at this time, it is like a preliminary screen to see who they the NBA might want to see in more detail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Fred has an article today on this very subject. Basically, he’s warning against area players entering this year’s draft. 
I went to 3 mock draft sites and neither of our guys were listed as a 1st or 2nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a typical year, they would withdraw before the draft in June.  I think this year is June 25th.  But the league is trying to push the draft to August 1.  So do the old rules apply and it's June 25th to some date now corresponding to an unknown draft date?  Blame the Chinese virus.  But kids can opt out whenever --- the freshman from Villanova renounced his drat intentions already and is returning to school.  Seems to me the handwriting is on the wall for all seven locals as far as the draft is concerned.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

In a typical year, they would withdraw before the draft in June.  I think this year is June 25th.  But the league is trying to push the draft to August 1.  So do the old rules apply and it's June 25th to some date now corresponding to an unknown draft date?  Blame the Chinese virus.  But kids can opt out whenever --- the freshman from Villanova renounced his drat intentions already and is returning to school.  Seems to me the handwriting is on the wall for all seven locals as far as the draft is concerned.  

Yes. And it will depend as well, I assume, on what playing opportunities exist.  If French and Goodwin can and are able to scrimmage with draft eligible players, no need to return to SLU yet. Keep at it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not happening.  Read the BenFred article.  Contact by the NBA with draft-declared kids (and even those who are graduated seniors) is prohibited right now.  Social distancing and the current unknowns have caused the NBA to limit in-person contacts with players and have limited tape reviews.  No one is scrimmaging with anyone.  Foreign draft-eligibles have also been negatively impacted due to international travel restrictions.  SLU is working out individually in vacuums from what I understand.  So nothing of traditional value is happening anywhere.  I think all you can expect is the paper review of your skills from the NBA Advisory committee.  And as most have said, none of those reviews show any of the local seven as locks and only the Illinois kid shows up on like 33% of the draft boards and that might be late second round.

The question to me, with Goodwin and French, is do you want to p*ss away three years of college work and forgo the degree and one expected great year of college ball to bounce around the nomadic realms of professional basketball?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...