Goodwin & French put names in draft

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think Jacobs defense is pretty solid and he is better than Fred offensively.  Here are their career stats per 40 mins which are pretty small samples, but Jacobs is generally better in every category:

Name - FG% - 2pt FG% - 3pt FG% - FT% - Asts - TOs - Pts

Jacobs - 40.2% - 43.9% - 36.6% - 67.3% - 1.9 - 1.9 - 10.6

Thatch - 35.5% - 44.4% - 25.3% - 62.7% - 1.6 - 1.7 - 4.8

Thatch was a great defender, but still has a lot to prove on offense.  Jacobs  has been inconsistent on offense, but has shown a spark at times and is a way better shooter than Thatch.

Gibby on the other hand has an even smaller sample.  I'm willing to concede he's a better shooter, but I think Jacobs is likely better on D.

This is of course an excellent problem to have.  All 3 guys would start on many past Billiken teams.

I envision us running a lot more this season and being more successful with it as long as we avoid injuries.  Remember that we started last year playing more uptempo before injuries.  This season we'll arguably have even more depth plus a more experienced PG Yuri to run the whole thing.  Obviously there is a fixed amount of minutes, but if we play faster there are more possessions to go around.  

Out of reactions, but good post. I’d be interested to see if/how much Thatch’s offense/shooting improves his sophomore year (assuming he gets a redshirt) considering Jacobs overall game improved a lot from year 1 to year 2. Have we heard anything on redshirts for Thatch and Gibson? If not, does anybody know when they usually make those determinations?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think Jacobs defense is pretty solid and he is better than Fred offensively.  Here are their career stats per 40 mins which are pretty small samples, but Jacobs is generally better in every category:

Name - FG% - 2pt FG% - 3pt FG% - FT% - Asts - TOs - Pts

Jacobs - 40.2% - 43.9% - 36.6% - 67.3% - 1.9 - 1.9 - 10.6

Thatch - 35.5% - 44.4% - 25.3% - 62.7% - 1.6 - 1.7 - 4.8

Thatch was a great defender, but still has a lot to prove on offense.  Jacobs  has been inconsistent on offense, but has shown a spark at times and is a way better shooter than Thatch.

Gibby on the other hand has an even smaller sample.  I'm willing to concede he's a better shooter, but I think Jacobs is likely better on D.

This is of course an excellent problem to have.  All 3 guys would start on many past Billiken teams.

I envision us running a lot more this season and being more successful with it as long as we avoid injuries.  Remember that we started last year playing more uptempo before injuries.  This season we'll arguably have even more depth plus a more experienced PG Yuri to run the whole thing.  Obviously there is a fixed amount of minutes, but if we play faster there are more possessions to go around.  

You accidentally transposed Thatch's PF per 40 min into the points column.  He actually averaged 9.2 ppg per 40 min.  Jacobs is a better distance shooter and passer, Thatch is a better rebounder and defender.  Basketball is about matchups.  Thatch's standout defense would have helped us a lot more against Duquesne and Davidson, two teams that Jacobs struggled against offensively.

RUBillsFan likes this

Re: Thatch, prior to his illness grounding him, Ford said he was looking like one of our best offensive threats. All I know is everyone better be bringing their A game to every practice if they want to get minutes with this group. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Re: Thatch, prior to his illness grounding him, Ford said he was looking like one of our best offensive threats. All I know is everyone better be bringing their A game to every practice if they want to get minutes with this group. 

Competition is never a bad thing. 

I’m a bit confused what people are seeing in this Jacobs vs. Thatch debate. We haven’t seen much out of Fred offensively. Jacobs, while streaky, is a good shooter and ball handler while also being no slouch defensively. I love Thatch, but Jacobs brings a ton to the table and will be a massive x-factor next season. 

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

33 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I’m a bit confused what people are seeing in this Jacobs vs. Thatch debate. We haven’t seen much out of Fred offensively. Jacobs, while streaky, is a good shooter and ball handler while also being no slouch defensively. I love Thatch, but Jacobs brings a ton to the table and will be a massive x-factor next season. 

I agree on Jacobs talent. But u have to admit he doesn't bring it every night. Attitude. There are no nights off at this level. 

bauman likes this

55 minutes ago, almaman said:

Is Fred better health wise? that would be great if he really is back I think he'll get more minutes than Jacobs.

The word is that Fred is doing very well and he feels good as he works out at home. If he is healthy as reported, I believe he will be a big factor against some of our better opponents because of his great defense and pure strong athleticism.

Box and Won likes this

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I agree on Jacobs talent. But u have to admit he doesn't bring it every night. Attitude. There are no nights off at this level. 

Im with you 72, but Jacobs brought it for a lot of big games, even if he didn’t bring it every night. And his attitude on the court was night and day from freshman to sophomore year. If he makes a similar leap this season, he could flirt with all-conference upside. We don’t know what we’ll get from him, but we know the upside is really high.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Im still going with a minutes order of:

1) Jgood

2) Has

3) Yuri

4) Perkins

5) Gibby

6) Fred- if healthy

7) Bell

8 )Linssen

9)TJ

10) Jacobs

11) Strickland

I just have a hard time seeing Jacobs get a lot of minutes.  Fred is a better defender and about even offensively, and Gibby has WAY more offense to his game to being on the bench long. 

Jacobs is much better defensively than Gibby, and a much better ball handler than Fred. I’m not sure he’ll get more minutes than either of them, but I’m confident he’ll play at least 15 minutes a game.

I don’t know how to post/link Instagram stories to here, but just Has just posted a clip on Instagram of him draining a nice little pick n pop 3 from the top of the key. It was pretty. 

15 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

This. 2019 Thatch > 2019 Jacobs; 2020 Jacobs > 2019 Thatch. Unless something happens, I can't see Ford going with the 2020 lineup next year, with Thatch subbing for Jacobs, unless something transformative happens with outside shooting. You can't start a lineup with 5 guys below average from three-point range. I see Thatch as first guard off the bench, who spells Jacobs, then Collins, then J-Good. I don't see him playing more than 15mpg. Big minute guys (30+) are the Core 4. Everyone else below 20, and will depend on matchups. 

Zink likes this

11 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

This. 2019 Thatch > 2019 Jacobs; 2020 Jacobs > 2019 Thatch. Unless something happens, I can't see Ford going with the 2020 lineup next year, with Thatch subbing for Jacobs, unless something transformative happens with outside shooting. You can't start a lineup with 5 guys below average from three-point range. I see Thatch as first guard off the bench, who spells Jacobs, then Collins, then J-Good. I don't see him playing more than 15mpg. Big minute guys (30+) are the Core 4. Everyone else below 20, and will depend on matchups. 

For what its worth, I think Perkins will start in that spot.If he doesn't he will be the first guard off the bench - not DJ or FT

Crewsorlose likes this

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t know how to post/link Instagram stories to here, but just Has just posted a clip on Instagram of him draining a nice little pick n pop 3 from the top of the key. It was pretty. 

Do you believe in miracles?

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I firmly believe that French with an at all credible mid-range game is an NBA player.

4 minutes ago, Fraz42 said:

Do you believe in miracles?

If he can do that, and he was probably told by his NBA advisors to add a mid range and/or 3 pt shot to his repertoire or make sure his passport is up to date, which is a big IF that will be awe inspiring. 

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I firmly believe that French with an at all credible mid-range game is an NBA player.

And Aaron Hines is an NBA player with a foot more height. 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Although I would love to see Hasahn expand his game, that is asking a lot for someone who shoots 33% from FT.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Although I would love to see Hasahn expand his game, that is asking a lot for someone who shoots 33% from FT.

I honestly think French’s free throw shooting is a mental thing. He may not shoot 80% in practice like Ford says, but I bet it’s significantly better. And I’m not saying French is going to turn into Steph Curry, but there’s something to be said about catching and shooting, when you don’t have time to think about every moving piece of your shooting stroke. I think it’s something he could develop with work.

33 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

A jump shot and a FT are different animals. 

4 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Correct. One is more challenging. Hasahn shoots 33% at the least challenging of the two.

Again, if you watch him warm up before the game or at halftime, he regular hits 4 or 5 free throws in a row. It’s a mental block...like getting the yips in golf. Like how Ankiel became incapable of throwing strikes. There’s very little thinking when shooting a jump shot in the heat of the moment of the game.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Again, if you watch him warm up before the game or at halftime, he regular hits 4 or 5 free throws in a row. It’s a mental block...like getting the yips in golf. Like how Ankiel became incapable of throwing strikes. There’s very little thinking when shooting a jump shot in the heat of the moment of the game.

When you are that bad of a shooter there is a mental component no matter where you are on the floor. Add in a defender during the run of play, and the odds of him developing a reliable jumpier for next season are incredibly low. You’re fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. 

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

When you are that bad of a shooter there is a mental component no matter where you are on the floor. Add in a defender during the run of play, and the odds of him developing a reliable jumpier for next season are incredibly low. You’re fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. 

Even with a defender, how often do you stand around for. 30 seconds or a minute thinking about everything that could go wrong with your shot, all the moving parts that have to go right if the shot is going to go in, right before you shoot? Basically never. It’s not that Has can’t hit free throws. If you watch him warmup, he’s more than capable of hitting 60+%. Nobody is claiming Has is gonna turn into Reggie Miller, but there’s huge difference in taking the 2 shots.