• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, bauman said:

NCAA-Here we come 🏀😀

We will make it to the third week.

33 minutes ago, CBFan said:

We will make it to the third week.

I think that means to the Semi-Final, right?

I'm a little less optimistic - I will be happy with getting to the round of 16 and overjoyed if we got to the Elite Eight. I think we would need a few upsets in our bracket to get into the Elite Eight.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

I think that means to the Semi-Final, right?

I'm a little less optimistic - I will be happy with getting to the round of 16 and overjoyed if we got to the Elite Eight. I think we would need a few upsets in our bracket to get into the Elite Eight.

I’m gonna make a very vague, Oracles of Delphi type of prediction, so nobody can come back say I was wrong (AKA a very cowardly cop out 😉): during the ‘20-‘21 season, we will have the talent and depth to compete with any team in the country, on any given night!

cgeldmacher likes this

What would you think if our starting five next year was Jacobs, Thatch, Jimerson, Hargrove, and Linnsen? Pretty solid, I'd think. And that's our bench. We've never had depth like this.... not in my lifetime. Yes, we don't want to utter the "I" word, but it appears we're well covered. Ford has built an unreal roster. 

In a note to the above post, I'm assuming Travis is going to go with the same starting 5 that got us on that roll for our final 5 games. Plus, Jimmy Bell and Yuri, as I'd assume they are, are working hard on their games over the past 4 months. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

In a note to the above post, I'm assuming Travis is going to go with the same starting 5 that got us on that roll for our final 5 games. Plus, Jimmy Bell and Yuri, as I'd assume they are, are working hard on their games over the past 4 months. 

Hey 72, not criticizing, just clarifying, you got Perk starting and Jacobs coming of the bench, right? Either way, you’re point resonates. Those 10 plus Strickland and Lorentsson, with the promise of Okoro after next year. That’s insane depth.

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

That's assuming none of the freshman are there yet, and it isn't including Okoro.

actually 9 since I forgot about TJ.  And correct, Im going to assume the senior GT would make this list but have never seen him.  Im not sure whats more exciting- next years team and expectations or the fact there will not be much if any of a fall off after next year. 

Im still going with a minutes order of:

1) Jgood

2) Has

3) Yuri

4) Perkins

5) Gibby

6) Fred- if healthy

7) Bell

8 )Linssen

9)TJ

10) Jacobs

11) Strickland

I just have a hard time seeing Jacobs get a lot of minutes.  Fred is a better defender and about even offensively, and Gibby has WAY more offense to his game to being on the bench long. 

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

That's assuming none of the freshman are there yet, and it isn't including Okoro.

I would assume that wgstl is referring to our starting 5 for most of the the A-10 games last year-JB Jr, HF, JG, Jacobs, Yuri plus Perkins, Thatch, and Jimerson for his  8, which he later amended to add Hargrove.  If he wants to include Linssen then that would be 10 when added to our 2 incoming FR and redshirting Okoro which gives us our 13 scholarships.

Edit:  I just saw your post where you were not including Jacobs even though he started most games last year.

Edited by bauman
Correction

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im still going with a minutes order of:

1) Jgood

2) Has

3) Yuri

4) Perkins

5) Gibby

6) Fred- if healthy

7) Bell

8 )Linssen

9)TJ

10) Jacobs

11) Strickland

I just have a hard time seeing Jacobs get a lot of minutes.  Fred is a better defender and about even offensively, and Gibby has WAY more offense to his game to being on the bench long. 

But on the other side of it, if Jacobs ups the intensity of his game, he's one of our bigger contributors.

Just now, Littlebill said:

But on the other side of it, if Jacobs ups the intensity of his game, he's one of our bigger contributors.

Yep, if that happens.  Until then, I just dont see the minutes there. If Jacobs find that tho.. I feel bad for coach. 

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think Jacobs is 1 of the few unknowns going into this season. We’ve seen his floor, but I’d argue that he has as much upside (untapped potential) as anyone on our roster. I’d make the same argument for TJ (if he can start hitting even a reasonable percentage from 3...look out!) Obviously, the health of Thatch, and how much/how well Strickland and Lorentsson contribute.

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think Jacobs defense is pretty solid and he is better than Fred offensively.  Here are their career stats per 40 mins which are pretty small samples, but Jacobs is generally better in every category:

Name - FG% - 2pt FG% - 3pt FG% - FT% - Asts - TOs - Pts

Jacobs - 40.2% - 43.9% - 36.6% - 67.3% - 1.9 - 1.9 - 10.6

Thatch - 35.5% - 44.4% - 25.3% - 62.7% - 1.6 - 1.7 - 4.8

Thatch was a great defender, but still has a lot to prove on offense.  Jacobs  has been inconsistent on offense, but has shown a spark at times and is a way better shooter than Thatch.

Gibby on the other hand has an even smaller sample.  I'm willing to concede he's a better shooter, but I think Jacobs is likely better on D.

This is of course an excellent problem to have.  All 3 guys would start on many past Billiken teams.

I envision us running a lot more this season and being more successful with it as long as we avoid injuries.  Remember that we started last year playing more uptempo before injuries.  This season we'll arguably have even more depth plus a more experienced PG Yuri to run the whole thing.  Obviously there is a fixed amount of minutes, but if we play faster there are more possessions to go around.  

Littlebill likes this