Goodwin & French put names in draft

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I think his point is anything bad can happen to you at anytime so you can not live your life wrapped in bubble wrap.  Yes injury is always a possibility but so is not being injured.

All the more reason to go get paid while you can?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Littlebill said:

Could be but to make the decision only on "I might get injured"  may not be in your overall best interest.  What are chances that this would happen especially since you do not have a history of injury.  A very good senior year would up your stock but of course anything could happen - heck you could get involved with some person  who claims whatever also.,

This may be the worse year ever, to come out of school early and try to go pro.  There is greater uncertainty in the non NBA leagues, who knows what international teams and leagues will do. There would likely be a lot of already graduated players and unemployed pros looking at whatever opportunities are available.

It is a good year to finish your degree and improve your pro resume.  Could an injury happen, sure.  A career ending injury could also occur in the first or second year of a non NBA play, and the player may wish he had finished his last year of free education and had that degree in his pocket.  I don't know what the family education history is for Goodwin or French, but many division 1 players are the first ones in their families to get college degrees.  That is a great accomplishment. 

Goodwin and French both also have the opportunity to put their names way up in the record books.  Some day, 60 year old French could be at a Billiken game and say to his grandson; Do you know who holds the all time record for blocked shots?  Or better yet better yet, be at a Billiken game with his grandson where he is called out on the floor and recognized as the all time career leader in blocked shots. 

Its one thing to be a lottery pick, but there are bigger things than chasing B league money.  When I reflect on my life, it isn't the money that I count among my greatest accomplishments.

This season also has great potential to be something special.  French and Goodwin are positioned to have big seasons, the team is more talented and balanced, and defenses won't be able to just key on them like they have in the past.   They came to SLU, to turn around this program and lay the foundation for Team Blue.  This year, they can finish what they started.

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

It really depends on how much you’re being offered. If you’re being offered six figures...yeah that’s hard to pass up. If you’re being offered $45,000 to play in Lithuania (I’ve never been to Lithuania...I’m sure it’s very nice. Just saying), why not come back to school, have a chance at a special season, see if you can increase your draft stock, and last but not least, GET YOUR DEGREE?

48 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

It really depends on how much you’re being offered. If you’re being offered six figures...yeah that’s hard to pass up. If you’re being offered $45,000 to play in Lithuania (I’ve never been to Lithuania...I’m sure it’s very nice. Just saying), why not come back to school, have a chance at a special season, see if you can increase your draft stock, and last but not least, GET YOUR DEGREE?

This I agree with - that's the decision they'll be faced with most likely. It'll all depend on what offer they get. Just saying it would be hard to blame them because its easy to understand both sides of it, or at least it should be.

But I sure as hell hope I'm watching them in person in November.

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

There's getting paid and there's getting paid. I can't say I grew up poor, but even still, 6 figures is easy to turn down. I don't even make that now. But unless you have mouths to feed, it's really not that enticing to sign a 1 year deal for $150K. Your agent takes a cut, and unless you really know what you're doing financially, you're not going to have that kind of money make you much money. 

If you're getting paid (the NBA minimum salary is $890K), you can legitimately get that money working for you. And if you're guaranteed a roster spot, that's tough to pass up. Plus, even if you get cut the next season, you still have that NBA year on your resume, which opens the possibility for a bigger, multi-year contract overseas.

In terms of injury, you're much more likely to get injured playing in the Turkish league with inferior training staff and facilities than you are in a program like SLU. Yes, you could get injured "before you ever get a contract" but it's not the rational decision to pass up a senior season at a school you love with a coach you love for the Greek league. 

14 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

There's getting paid and there's getting paid. I can't say I grew up poor, but even still, 6 figures is easy to turn down. I don't even make that now. But unless you have mouths to feed, it's really not that enticing to sign a 1 year deal for $150K. Your agent takes a cut, and unless you really know what you're doing financially, you're not going to have that kind of money make you much money. 

Think you're missing some blue font here...

Littlebill likes this

I never get try to look to deep into what kids post on social media, but I do find what Has did a "tiny" bit alarming.  He did a photo shoot with a photographer who claims to be an NBA photographer.  

I know I know, im ready to have stones thrown at me. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I never get try to look to deep into what kids post on social media, but I do find what Has did a "tiny" bit alarming.  He did a photo shoot with a photographer who claims to be an NBA photographer.  

chill

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I have no stones to throw. I love Has. I wish him the best no matter what. But he can do all the photo shoots with NBA photographers that he wants, he’s not gonna get drafted this summer. If he chooses the G-League or going pro overseas over coming back for his senior year, more power to him and I’ll root for him to have success wherever he ends up. But that’s just the reality of the situation. My guess is that this is more of a publicity thing to get his name out there. I won’t have any real concern until if/when he signs an agent and any eligibility he has left is gone. Just my 2 cents.

Coach314 likes this

On 5/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, Crewsorlose said:

If you're getting paid (the NBA minimum salary is $890K), you can legitimately get that money working for you. And if you're guaranteed a roster spot, that's tough to pass up. Plus, even if you get cut the next season, you still have that NBA year on your resume, which opens the possibility for a bigger, multi-year contract overseas.

In terms of injury, you're much more likely to get injured playing in the Turkish league with inferior training staff and facilities than you are in a program like SLU. Yes, you could get injured "before you ever get a contract" but it's not the rational decision to pass up a senior season at a school you love with a coach you love for the Greek league. 

Exactly.  Going "pro" such as the Turkish league and $45,000  would mark the end of one's dream -- the NBA.  And why?   Because of possible injury?  The same risk that they faced before last year's college season?  Why even play college for "free" at all?  Instead of focusing on the likelihood of injury, how likely is it that G League and "pro" basketball will have their seasons this year and pay their players?  Anyone hear of plan to re-start the G League?  I hear of plans with the NBA with all games in Orlando Florida without no fans - butts in the seats - but nothing else. And assuming the owners and players can agree, MLB will make money due to high TV ratings/revenue (though not as much without butts in the seats due to COVID 19).   Same with the NBA.   SLU basketball has name recognition (together with the rest of the NCAA schools) and will make money from TV ratings even without butts in the seats or as many butts in the seats.  SLU will open its doors to students because it desperately needs the revenue from tuition (many will not pay full price for online learning), from housing and from basketball to subsidize the non-revenue sports - and basketball is simply a large and visible part of SLU re-opening its campus to alumni, fans and future students.  As to the NBA G league, not so sure.  How will the players make $125k without butts (or as many) in the seats?  Advertising revenue will be a bigger challenge as well -- not as much for MLB, NBA and I suspect NCAA college football/basketball, though, I suspect there will simply not be as much revenue to go around and that not all sports programs will have the revenues it had in the past.  And believe it or not, my knowledge of Turkish league basketball is not extensive but I doubt all of the overseas "pro" opportunities will not exist or not be as attractive as in the past. 

Giving up being an NBA lottery pick and guaranteed millions for Obi Toppin to stay another year in college with your friends and possibly win an NCAA Championship is what most people talk about -- not worth the risk.   

Other than Little Bill, does anyone else think the chance to end their NBA dream in order to play low level "pro" by a college player with eligibility (Has and Goodwin) during this global pandemic when guaranteed "pro" money seems far more suspect than an ACL tear is - not worth the risk?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Exactly.  Going "pro" such as the Turkish league and $45,000  would mark the end of one's dream -- the NBA.  And why?   Because of possible injury?  The same risk that they faced before last year's college season?  Why even play college for "free" at all?  Instead of focusing on the likelihood of injury, how likely is it that G League and "pro" basketball will have their seasons this year and pay their players?  Anyone hear of plan to re-start the G League?  I hear of plans with the NBA with all games in Orlando Florida without no fans - butts in the seats - but nothing else. And assuming the owners and players can agree, MLB will make money due to high TV ratings/revenue (though not as much without butts in the seats due to COVID 19).   Same with the NBA.   SLU basketball has name recognition (together with the rest of the NCAA schools) and will make money from TV ratings even without butts in the seats or as many butts in the seats.  SLU will open its doors to students because it desperately needs the revenue from tuition (many will not pay full price for online learning), from housing and from basketball to subsidize the non-revenue sports - and basketball is simply a large and visible part of SLU re-opening its campus to alumni, fans and future students.  As to the NBA G league, not so sure.  How will the players make $125k without butts (or as many) in the seats?  Advertising revenue will be a bigger challenge as well -- not as much for MLB, NBA and I suspect NCAA college football/basketball, though, I suspect there will simply not be as much revenue to go around and that not all sports programs will have the revenues it had in the past.  And believe it or not, my knowledge of Turkish league basketball is not extensive but I doubt all of the overseas "pro" opportunities will not exist or not be as attractive as in the past. 

Giving up being an NBA lottery pick and guaranteed millions for Obi Toppin to stay another year in college with your friends and possibly win an NCAA Championship is what most people talk about -- not worth the risk.   

Other than Little Bill, does anyone else think the chance to end their NBA dream in order to play low level "pro" by a college player with eligibility (Has and Goodwin) during this global pandemic when guaranteed "pro" money seems far more suspect than an ACL tear is - not worth the risk?

@ me next time

nice straw man argument

if they’re going to get paid 100k+, I said I’d understand the decision. Would I make the same decision? Probably not - but I said I understood if they did.

try being more unlikable 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Minor league baseball is almost certainly dead for the year. While the timing is different I would think the G league would also be in jeopardy. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Minor league baseball is almost certainly dead for the year. While the timing is different I would think the G league would also be in jeopardy. 

Pretty sure the G league is funded by the NBA, i.e. shortfalls are covered by the league. With the loss of revenues being incurred by the parent league, they might have to cut off the support system. 

Underclassmen have until 5 pm Eastern this Wednesday, June 3 to withdraw their names. So we will know sometime in the next 50:45.

Edit: This deadline was supposed to be extended but I'm still trying to confirm what the new date is, if so.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Underclassmen have until 5 pm Eastern this Wednesday, June 3 to withdraw their names. So we will know sometime in the next 50:45.

Now I’m nervous. I still think they are both coming back. But now that there is a deadline...I’ll be relieved when they finally announce their plans.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I thought this deadline had been pushed back. However, I have not seen anything specific. Does anyone know if June 3rd is still the deadline?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29171708/ncaa-extends-nba-draft-withdrawal-deadline-awaits-league-pre-draft-line

(P.S. I 100% trust Pistol... so I assume June 3rd is the deadline...but... for some reason thought the deadline was pushed back.)

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15

15 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I thought this deadline had been pushed back. However, I have not seen anything specific. Does anyone know if June 3rd is still the deadline?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29171708/ncaa-extends-nba-draft-withdrawal-deadline-awaits-league-pre-draft-line

(P.S. I 100% trust Pistol... so I assume June 3rd is the deadline...but... for some reason thought the deadline was pushed back.)

It was pushed back TO 6/3

NCAA Postpones Deadline for Players to Withdraw From NBA Draft

Ben Pickman
May 13, 2020

The NCAA's deadline for men's basketball players to withdraw from the NBA draft will be pushed back from the initial June 3 deadline, the organization announced Wednesday. 

The NCAA's decision comes in the wake of the NBA lottery and NBA scouting combine being postponed indefinitely amid the coronavirus pandemic.  

"Out of respect to the NBA’s process, the decision on a new withdrawal date will be made once the league has determined a timeline for the 2020 pre-draft process," NCAA senior vice president of basketball, Dan Gavitt, said in a statement. "Working in collaboration with National Association of Basketball Coaches Executive Director Jim Haney and the rest of the coaches’ leadership, the NCAA membership will ensure that any change supports a player’s decision-making process related to professional opportunities while also protecting their academic pursuits and the opportunity to play college basketball.”

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

NCAA Postpones Deadline for Players to Withdraw From NBA Draft

Ben Pickman
May 13, 2020

The NCAA's deadline for men's basketball players to withdraw from the NBA draft will be pushed back from the initial June 3 deadline, the organization announced Wednesday. 

The NCAA's decision comes in the wake of the NBA lottery and NBA scouting combine being postponed indefinitely amid the coronavirus pandemic.  

"Out of respect to the NBA’s process, the decision on a new withdrawal date will be made once the league has determined a timeline for the 2020 pre-draft process," NCAA senior vice president of basketball, Dan Gavitt, said in a statement. "Working in collaboration with National Association of Basketball Coaches Executive Director Jim Haney and the rest of the coaches’ leadership, the NCAA membership will ensure that any change supports a player’s decision-making process related to professional opportunities while also protecting their academic pursuits and the opportunity to play college basketball.”

Weird.

I'm still seeing June 3 a bunch of places - including articles published/updated in the past few days - but I'm also seeing a lot of articles like yours from May 13th and 14th saying it will be pushed back, but the date has not yet been determined.

June 15th was the withdrawal date for international players.

This is saying June 16th is the "NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline", so maybe that's for everyone now? But I can't confirm...

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Weird.

I'm still seeing June 3 a bunch of places - including articles published/updated in the past few days - but I'm also seeing a lot of articles like yours from May 13th and 14th saying it will be pushed back, but the date has not yet been determined.

June 15th was the withdrawal date for international players.

This is saying June 16th is the "NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline", so maybe that's for everyone now? But I can't confirm...

The link says the NBA draft is June 26. And we know it has been pushed back. 

The latest I read is a July 31 return to action. That would push the season and playoffs maybe into Sept or October.  The draft won’t happen until after all that. The NCAA will have to come out with something so that schools can know their roster before school starts in August. 

Let’s just hope Goodwin and French know the date they need to come back to SLU. 😀