Goodwin & French put names in draft

38 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Nark thanks for the list...I always follow my wife's UT Vols. Yves Pons who also goes by Air France also declared for the draft. He's and OK college player who led the SEC in blocked shots, but at 6'5" he is a tweeter as he played forward. Like Goodwin and French I expect to see Pons playing hoops in college next season.

Grant Williams from UT went in the 1st round last year.  He's a 6'6 Power Forward.  He plays for the Celtics.

But...say Goodwin and French both come back to a better balanced team next year.  Can they duplicate or better their stats from this year to get on NBA radars?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

Grant Williams from UT went in the 1st round last year.  He's a 6'6 Power Forward.  He plays for the Celtics.

But...say Goodwin and French both come back to a better balanced team next year.  Can they duplicate or better their stats from this year to get on NBA radars?

I don't know if it's so much of the stats as it is the skill level for French and Goodwin

Clock_Tower likes this

Just now, slufanskip said:

I don't know if it's so much of the stats as it is the skill level for French and Goodwin

Agreed. NBA teams already know how French and Goodwin can defend and rebound. They about their heart and effort and athleticism. It’s gonna be about can Goodwin develop any sort of reliable perimeter shooting. Can French develop a jumper consistently? How are they going to contribute to an NBA team?

wgstl and slufanskip like this

I have come around somewhat on Goodwin's NBA potential. While he doesn't a traditional point guard or shooting guard offensive skill set, he does have an NBA-level wingspan and defensive versatility. As some others have commented, I think NBA teams could be intrigued by his unique profile. That said, I think Jordan has a unique opportunity to improve his draft stock by returning to SLU, since he has so much room for improvement with respect to his 3-point shooting and free-throw shooting. 

39 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

If Godwin’s numbers go down a bit but his percentages go up it will be a positive.

I think French needs to put up numbers and have better percentages.

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Grant Williams had a much more complete offensive game at that point than French does right now.  He could consistently hit a jump shot from inside the three point line and had improved his shooting from the arc.  

Counting stats won’t be the issue with either Goodwin or French now or in the future. What they could really benefit from in another college season is showing an ability to expand their offensive game.  That even holds true when it comes to playing overseas, especially for Goodwin.  I think right now a lot of the top European teams would have a hard time fitting Goodwin into the offenses they like to run over there.  They have never been big into bully ball offense.

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Grant Williams had a much more complete offensive game at that point than French does right now.  He could consistently hit a jump shot from inside the three point line and had improved his shooting from the arc.  

Counting stats won’t be the issue with either Goodwin or French now or in the future. What they could really benefit from in another college season is showing an ability to expand their offensive game.  That even holds true when it comes to playing overseas, especially for Goodwin.  I think right now a lot of the top European teams would have a hard time fitting Goodwin into the offenses they like to run over there.  They have never been big into bully ball offense.

French would have a better chance of getting paid in an Asian league than a European one.  They play a below the rim style of game over there and French's combination of power and athleticism would be very hard to deal with. Ricardo Ratliffe, formerly of Mizzou, has developed into a superstar in South Korea.  He makes over a half million dollars a year.

BilliesBy40 likes this

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

French would have a better chance of getting paid in an Asian league than a European one.  They play a below the rim style of game over there and French's combination of power and athleticism would be very hard to deal with. Ricardo Ratliffe, formerly of Mizzou, has developed into a superstar in South Korea.  He makes over a half million dollars a year.

Wow, that’s wild. I had no idea how much $ he was making over there, I had seen the video game stats he was putting up though.

French is too tall to play in Korea. No foreign player over 6'6 is allowed in the league, hence why players like Radcliffe can dominate. Goodwin would be better off playing there. It is a league full of undersized power forwards.

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

French is too tall to play in Korea. No foreign player over 6'6 is allowed in the league, hence why players like Radcliffe can dominate. Goodwin would be better off playing there. It is a league full of undersized power forwards.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  French is listed on the SLU roster at 6'7".  But is he?  Do college rosters ever tend to stretch a player?  I don't know. 

billiken_roy and Zink like this

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

French would be fine.  The limitation is 6'6 without shoes.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, Coach314 said:

Coach, you're scaring me a little bit.  I hope the local basketball community is not giving Jordan bad advice about his future.  He needs another year of improvement to get fully on the radar of NBA teams.  I also have no doubt that he will match or exceed his stats from last year.  I don't see who is going to be taking away points from him next season.  I really hope he doesn't have people in his ear that are toying with his future based upon what they'd like to see happen rather than what is realistic and best for Jordan.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I assume the June 3 withdrawal date will be pushed back also, but that is a NCAA date, not an NBA date.

I asked this question once before and didn’t get a satisfactory answer. If the Bills have summer workouts can a French and Goodwin participate if they are technically still in the draft? 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:40 PM, kshoe said:

No surprise but Jeff Goodman lists Jordan and Hasahn in the "Unlikely to Be Drafted (aka Should Absolutely Return)" category.

https://watchstadium.com/stay-or-go-advice-for-the-2020-nba-drafts-early-entrants-04-29-2020/

Following up to another link from the Jeff Goodman story is his list of his top 50 teams.  He has Richmond at 14 and SLU at 41 .  At #14, URI is ahead of a lot of CBB blue bloods!

2 hours ago, willie said:

I asked this question once before and didn’t get a satisfactory answer. If the Bills have summer workouts can a French and Goodwin participate if they are technically still in the draft? 

Good question, but probably best if you call, email or text the Athletic Department.  This is new territory, with the delay, so no one on this board would know unless they have communicated with the AD already.  Normally the combine is in May, so this wouldn't be an issue.  My guess, and I underline guess, is that they would be allowed, if the school facilities are open for summer workouts, and if the date for the Combine remains undetermined or well down the road.  The lads are still students so they should be allowed to participate in student athlete activities.

• 2 weeks later...

We will see how Richmond fares.  They are a five-man team but granted they are all seniors. Their bench is suspect at best.  The lost to Auburn and Alabama last year, beating Wisconsin and Vandy and a bunch of the local southern Virginia teams year (Hampton, Old Dominion, etc.).  One injury will hurt them badly, two will be catastrophic.

I suspect their two big D1 games right now ----- @ Kentucky and @ Cincinnati ---- will likely be losses.

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

We will see how Richmond fares.  They are a five-man team but granted they are all seniors. Their bench is suspect at best.  The lost to Auburn and Alabama last year, beating Wisconsin and Vandy and a bunch of the local southern Virginia teams year (Hampton, Old Dominion, etc.).  One injury will hurt them badly, two will be catastrophic.

I suspect their two big D1 games right now ----- @ Kentucky and @ Cincinnati ---- will likely be losses.

Cincinnati lost their do-everything player Jarron Cumberland and double-double big Tre Scott to graduation.  That game is a toss-up.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Wisconsin game was funny. When they played, Wisconsin was struggling, it didnt look like a good win at the time. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:57 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Coach, you're scaring me a little bit.  I hope the local basketball community is not giving Jordan bad advice about his future.  He needs another year of improvement to get fully on the radar of NBA teams.  I also have no doubt that he will match or exceed his stats from last year.  I don't see who is going to be taking away points from him next season.  I really hope he doesn't have people in his ear that are toying with his future based upon what they'd like to see happen rather than what is realistic and best for Jordan.

Not trying to scare anyone.  If you know his Dad...no one's in Goodwin's ear telling him anything 🤣.