Goodwin & French put names in draft

Yesterday, I looked at all of the recently updated major NBA draft prospect rankings that are not behind firewalls. There are 60 spots, and most rankings list 100 prospects. I found about a half dozen different rankings, and not a single one listed Goodwin or French in the top 60 or 100. I am certain there are confidential lists held by teams and scouts that may list one or both in the bottom half of their rankings, but right now it doesn't look like either player is generally considered a likely draft pick by the experts associated with the major online media outlets and blogs. Just looking at raw metrics (i.e., size, weight, and position), it appears to me that both players' biggest challenge is being undersized for their ideal position, which is further exacerbated by their shared opportunity to improve their outside shooting.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

When do their names need to be withdrawn?  When is the draft?

There are really two deadlines.  TODAY, the NCAA deadline for early entry withdrawal is June 3.  The NBA deadline is June 15, which is basically for foreign players.  The NBA Combine is scheduled for May 19-24.  But if the draft is pushed back, these dates will likely be pushed back also and/or the Combine may be canceled.

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Ben Fred has an article today on this very subject. Basically, he’s warning against area players entering this year’s draft. 
I went to 3 mock draft sites and neither of our guys were listed as a 1st or 2nd. 

Do you think that at any part of this process they tell players, "you're not NBA ready, but you could go make X amount over there".?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

That's not happening.  Read the BenFred article.  Contact by the NBA with draft-declared kids (and even those who are graduated seniors) is prohibited right now.  Social distancing and the current unknowns have caused the NBA to limit in-person contacts with players and have limited tape reviews.  No one is scrimmaging with anyone.  Foreign draft-eligibles have also been negatively impacted due to international travel restrictions.  SLU is working out individually in vacuums from what I understand.  So nothing of traditional value is happening anywhere.  I think all you can expect is the paper review of your skills from the NBA Advisory committee.  And as most have said, none of those reviews show any of the local seven as locks and only the Illinois kid shows up on like 33% of the draft boards and that might be late second round.

The question to me, with Goodwin and French, is do you want to p*ss away three years of college work and forgo the degree and one expected great year of college ball to bounce around the nomadic realms of professional basketball?  

Thanks for posting, I am really curious about what the process will look like for these guys.

I would rephrase your last paragraph considerably, but don't want to take the discussion off of the tracks.

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Do you think that at any part of this process they tell players, "you're not NBA ready, but you could go make X amount over there".?

That is an interesting question. I know back in the day they couldn't hire an agent and retain the chance to return to school, but that knowledge from a credible source would be a seemingly valuable part of the equation. I may not be NBA, but I can still make $150k in Italy or whatever (purely hypothetical).

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is an interesting question. I know back in the day they couldn't hire an agent and retain the chance to return to school, but that knowledge from a credible source would be a seemingly valuable part of the equation. I may not be NBA, but I can still make $150k in Italy or whatever (purely hypothetical).

The low 6-figure money in Europe will be there even if they wait a year. If they have a big senior year, they both increase the likelihood of making an NBA team and likely increase their earning power in Europe. Presumably, they also get a college degree. 

Leaving after your junior year to play in Europe only makes sense if you have some kind of family situation that requires immediate money and/or you have no interest in your education or the college experience. 

10 minutes ago, davidnark said:

The low 6-figure money in Europe will be there even if they wait a year. If they have a big senior year, they both increase the likelihood of making an NBA team and likely increase their earning power in Europe. Presumably, they also get a college degree. 

Leaving after your junior year to play in Europe only makes sense if you have some kind of family situation that requires immediate money and/or you have no interest in your education or the college experience. 

I think with a realistic mind set, it can he harder than that to decide.  Lets say you or I get a draft ranking of 130.  This would mean we're both good, and can make money either here or over there.  But it would mean you're still less than likely to get drafted next year, and I could go make 6 figures a year early.  

13 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Just out of curiosity, did Marque Perry ever make six figures in Europe?  Jared Terrell, a first-teamer in the A-10 two years ago, was MVP of the Ukranian SuperLeague.  Made a comfortable living, but not anywhere near six figures.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Not sure. I have heard in the NFL coaches will tell players who aren't likely to be drafted  they'll give them a shot as a UDFA. I don't know how this would sit with our guys if they were told this. 

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not sure. I have heard in the NFL coaches will tell players who aren't likely to be drafted  they'll give them a shot as a UDFA. I don't know how this would sit with our guys if they were told this. 

I hear Goodwin would take that offer.

I know that a low 6 figure salary means a lot to a lot of people, but it really is not as great a figure as you may think. Think taxes, European personal taxes tend to be a lot higher than US personal taxes, then add to it cost of living. Surely you need to  compare cost of living in places you are considering with the average cost of living in a US city. By the way, the cost of living in St. Louis is not among the highest in the US. Whatever you can clear after taxes and cost of living should be a major part of the calculations, but I doubt any college kid would understand that.  6 figures in California is not the same as the exact same salary in St. Louis. 6 figures in Brussels is not the same as 6 figures in Belgrade. They will probably need guidance from an agent to deal with issues like these, but once they hire an agent the game is off and they cannot come back to D1, or so I believe. It is a real quandary, when you have a dream and find out that you cannot get it, not yet, but you can make at least a portion of that dream come true, right now, no details provided.

Perhaps, it might be worthwhile if the team provided this information to the players, just in order for the kids to know what they may be facing some day. The kind of information provided above is necessary to reach a decision about foreign league playing, or G league playing.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Just out of curiosity, did Marque Perry ever make six figures in Europe?  Jared Terrell, a first-teamer in the A-10 two years ago, was MVP of the Ukranian SuperLeague.  Made a comfortable living, but not anywhere near six figures.

I have read that guys in Euroleague teams typically make between $60k and $100k/season but may also have housing  cost covered depending upon the team. G League guys make under $20k. If I were advising a kid, I would tell him to finish the last year of college and get the degree, which between the cost of room/board/tuition plus the value of the degree is going to greatly exceed the net money after taxes and expenses from one season in Europe. 

I take the fact that Diarra decided to transfer after we signed Okoro to mean that Ford expects both French and Goodwin to return.

In response to what Coach 314 said, I really want Goodwin to maximize his earnings while playing professional basketball.  If accomplishing that means leaving this year, then he should do it.  However, I don't think that leaving this year will accomplish that.  I think his having any shot at the NBA will mean coming back to SLU for one more year, working on his shot at a Javon Bess style level of commitment and then showing the NBA what he can do while playing for SLU next season.  I want him to stay for selfish reasons, obviously, but truly believe that it's the best move for him as well.

For most all college kids, the NBA is their dream.  Is the NBA a realty?  For nearlly all - NO.   But stayng in college through your Senior year probably allows guys to maximize their chances to reach their dream.  I doubt a guy's chance of making their dream/NBA is enhanced or realized by leaving college early and putting up stats in Italy.  For head cases (Gordon) and non-students (Willie Reed), playing basketball anywhere keeps their dream alive -- but I believe Willie would have turned out better had he been able to handle the college classrooms.

9 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

For most all college kids, the NBA is their dream.  Is the NBA a realty?  For nearlly all - NO.   But stayng in college through your Senior year probably allows guys to maximize their chances to reach their dream.  I doubt a guy's chance of making their dream/NBA is enhanced or realized by leaving college early and putting up stats in Italy.  For head cases (Gordon) and non-students (Willie Reed), playing basketball anywhere keeps their dream alive -- but I believe Willie would have turned out better had he been able to handle the college classrooms.

If Willie had gone the Kwamain route and played that 11-12 season the Bills go to Sweet 16 or higher and he’s likely a 1st rd pick. 

18 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

But at one point there was talk of him transferring to K-State, right? Sometimes I make things up in my head, so this could be one of those cases.

The way I remember it, after his aborted attempt to transfer to K-State, he returned to SLU but didn't manage to finish the spring semester.

TheChosenOne likes this

6 hours ago, davidnark said:

Nark thanks for the list...I always follow my wife's UT Vols. Yves Pons who also goes by Air France also declared for the draft. He's and OK college player who led the SEC in blocked shots, but at 6'5" he is a tweeter as he played forward. Like Goodwin and French I expect to see Pons playing hoops in college next season.