Goodwin & French put names in draft

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it is my understanding perkins if nothing else gained physically.    he was extemely skinny and physically weak coming out of high school right?  i am sure 3 star or coach314 could comment on that as i am stating off of memory of comments on this board.   

also, if Harrington at swic does anything good he knows how to get his players to have that scorer's mentality.    now maybe again 3 star and coach 314 will tell us that perkins had no trouble throwing the ball at the basket in high school.   i dont know.   but i do know he has that mentality now and i somewhat doubt he was that much of a scorer's mentality in high school   

my point is that perkins years in juco had value imo.   

That’s right. I believe I read Perkins weighed something like 140 pounds coming out of high school.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

60 players are drafted. This is a site that consolidates various draft rankings. Here is the current consensus player ranking. https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsite/mock-drafts/nba/2020/player-rankings/ There are 157 ranked players on their current list, which does not include Goodwin and French. It will be tough for them to climb these rankings with limited workouts available due to the current situation. I expect they will both be back and will have a chance to use their senior year to rise.

I saw Nark’s list a while back and was surprised not to see either of them listed. Never mentioned it, because I didn’t think either would declare. Odds seem to be against them, but will be a valuable experience for them both, if they even have a camp. 

The benefit is to get the evaluation of the very best about what to work on. Trick is, you can only go once. I also follow BC, who've lost three players to early entry. One, Jerome Robinson, was a 1st-round lock. The other, Ky Bowman, went un-drafted last year but lucked into a great situation in Golden State and got to make the team. The third, Olivier Hanlan, never sniffed the league and is overseas. 

So it only made sense for one to go, but they were miserable and sick of playing on sh##ty teams and stale home crowds. That's not the case at all with Goodwin and French, who seem to love SLU, Team Blue, and all that. 

The greatest danger is that they stop taking school seriously, and then face eligibility issues. Or without a camp, they get people talking in their ear and rely on very bad advice. Even if you're a 2nd rounder, there's no guaranteed money. It's totally unlike football. 

18 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

ESPN+ had an article yesterday with an early look at the top 25 NCAA players for next year and was hoping to see Goodwin or French sneak on there, but they weren’t. Only A-10 players were Crutcher at 15 and Fatts at 20-something

crutcher i can buy, but i dont get the love for Fatts.   he doesnt impress me a bit.   i wouldnt trade goodwin, french, yuri, perkins, jimmerson, thatch, or jacobs for him. 

AGB91 likes this

20 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

ESPN+ had an article yesterday with an early look at the top 25 NCAA players for next year and was hoping to see Goodwin or French sneak on there, but they weren’t. Only A-10 players were Crutcher at 15 and Fatts at 20-something

Yuri’s better than Phatts! 

32 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yuri’s better than Phatts! 

This may well be true but truth and reality never really bothered sports ranking commentators. A lot of these rankings are pretty similar to a Miss America contest, a beauty contest. We all know that beauty is in the  eye of the beholder, so the ranking gurus just give their audiences what they think the audience wants to hear. Everybody is happy that way. This is not sarcasm, it is cynicism. Jean Paul Sartre eat your heart out, the world is largely meaningless, a whole ball of blah, and all that.

Read Sartre's "Nausea" if you do not understand the last sentence.

27 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So then how do they get a rating for where they will go in the draft - is it a composite?

I don't know; is there really a league-wide draft rating, or are you thinking about people who do mock drafts?  Heck, maybe the league does evaluate players; but I suspect it's on the individual teams.

52 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So then how do they get a rating for where they will go in the draft - is it a composite?

I always assumed it was on the player and his "advisors" to figure out from the feedback they were getting from the camps and workouts where they might land.  but no one is telling them a specific spot they will get picked (or not).

No, the NBA has an undergraduate advisory committee that provides feedback on the anticipated draft range an athlete is expected to be taken in. In fact they’re currently accepting applications, and could probably use some good MBM talent evaluators. https://www.google.com/amp/s/therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/03/17/nbas-undergraduate-advisory-committee-accepting-applications/amp/

Similarly, the NFL has a College Advisory Committee that serves the same purpose for athletes looking at declaring early. https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/development-pipeline/college-advisory-committee/

NH likes this

I recall at least two pre-draft workout camps---- one in Portsmouth, VA, and another in Chicago.  I don't recall if they are sequential or that there is really just one that moves around.  I thought these were by invitation only.

So it would make sense to me, a non-NBA follower, that a process would likely be in place that goes something like this:

1) Undergrad declares for draft (paper process)

2) An evaluation of tape is done to down-select prospects (paper process)

3) Kid get eval and decides back to school or keep trying (paper process)

4) Remainder get invited to Portsmouth/Chicago (paper process)

5) Kid not invited, opts back to school (paper process)

6) Kids go through in-person evals (performance)

7) Kids complete performance tryouts, get secondary evals and either stay in draft or opt out (performance)

😎 Kid makes final decision; opts in or opts out (paper process)

9) Draft

I did see where Obi Toppin goes second in draft to Cleveland.

The b*tch is back!  Love owning your ass, tallywag!  So predictable.

Teams in the NBA are now pushing the league to delay draft to no sooner than August 1.  That ought to push things well out for kids that will eventually return to school (hopefully both Goodwin and French).  Could leave college recruiting and rosters in disarray.