Goodwin & French put names in draft

If Bess didn't make a roster, I'm not sure how either of these 2 will, much less get drafted.

Goodwin doesn't have the handles to play PG at the next level, nor does he have the jump shot or explosiveness to be a SG at the next level.

French needs to learn to shoot 3s if he's going to make it. Given his inability to shoot FTs, that's a long shot. 

I'd love to see them make it, but dear God I hope they keep their options open.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

If Bess didn't make a roster, I'm not sure how either of these 2 will, much less get drafted.

Goodwin doesn't have the handles to play PG at the next level, nor does he have the jump shot or explosiveness to be a SG at the next level.

French needs to learn to shoot 3s if he's going to make it. Given his inability to shoot FTs, that's a long shot. 

I'd love to see them make it, but dear God I hope they keep their options open.

They both said in their Twitter/Instagram posts that they’re gonna keep their eligibility open. I’m going to assume they’re both coming back until they sign an agent. They’re both smart kids. They’ll make the right choice.

Duff Man likes this

10 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

They both said in their Twitter/Instagram posts that they’re gonna keep their eligibility open. I’m going to assume they’re both coming back until they sign an agent. They’re both smart kids. They’ll make the right choice.

Even if you sign an agent you can still come back, as long as it’s one of the NCAA approved agents. 

57 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

If you declare/apply do they automatically take you?  Or is there a 'cut list?'  Anyone know?

There has to be a cut list to keep thousands away.... high school guys, college guys, post college guys... even guys like us MBM’s from each giving it a go!  Why not?  

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

There has to be a cut list to keep thousands away.... high school guys, college guys, post college guys... even guys like us MBM’s from each giving it a go!  Why not?  

I hear Taj Mahal Old Retired Guy' 79's gonna give it a go. He's left his day job and is tired of painting and da couch. Good luck, Taj! 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I hear Taj Mahal Old Retired Guy' 79's gonna give it a go. He's left his day job and is tired of painting and da couch. Good luck, Taj! 

Yes!  Better story to tell than that Saturday morning he was raining 3’s at the Y! 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

When in our lifetimes have we had one ... two.... maybe even three underclassmen enter the draft process?  Larry Hughes; end of discussion.

It can't but warmth the heart of any longtime Billiken sufferer to see this happen in our lifetimes, given our history.  Having said that and offering each the best of luck, paraphrasing Aaahnold ......"they'll be baaaack."

Until then, knock them dead, guys!!!!!

Didn't it use to be once you declared you couldn't back out and go back to school and play? You had to be dead sure. I mean it's great we have 2 or 3 guys testing the waters but not sure the playing field is the same as it was back then.

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Didn't it use to be once you declared you couldn't back out and go back to school and play? You had to be dead sure. I mean it's great we have 2 or 3 guys testing the waters but not sure the playing field is the same as it was back then.

Yes. You are correct 

What is it .... 64 guys get drafted every year.  Charles Barkley estimates the turnover per year is about 40 players.  Only 40 new faces a year.  And I think guaranteed money is only for those in the first round on a sliding scale.  I have a hard time believing either is top 64 right now but I've been wrong before.  We shall see.

hand wringing over french and goodwin is not needed.   neither is going anywhere.   they are likely both just taking advantage of the system and will get invaluable input from very important 3rd parties that might actually get through to them about their shortcomings plus the needed mechanical teachings to be able to improve those short comings.   my view of this development is all great.   exactly what they need to have spectacular senior seasons.   and with their incredible motors and attitudes i would be surprised if we do not see improvements.   I am thrilled.   perkins should do the same.

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hand wringing over french and goodwin is not needed.   neither is going anywhere.   they are likely both just taking advantage of the system and will get invaluable input from very important 3rd parties that might actually get through to them about their shortcomings plus the needed mechanical teachings to be able to improve those short comings.   my view of this development is all great.   exactly what they need to have spectacular senior seasons.   and with their incredible motors and attitudes i would be surprised if we do not see improvements.   I am thrilled.   perkins should do the same.

Voice of reason. Stay calm everyone.

14 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Great marketing for them, the coach, the program. 

This is where I'm at this morning. I think it's a high probability both are back, and back relatively soon as there won't be any workouts to attend. 

I just hope they aren't getting advice and end up in some B League somewhere.

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I honestly see this as a major plus. I think that French and JGood will receive some great feedback from scouts which they will use to better themselves over the off season.

True. And anytime we get worried about the state of the program I’ll just remember the last time we had someone “leave early” it was the great Austin Gillmann just quitting basketball. 😂 

A10Ref likes this

Question, are putting your name in for the NBA Draft and putting your name into the transfer portal as a grad transfer mutually exclusive?  By this I mean do we no longer have to worry about French and Goodwin applying to be grad transfers because of this news.  Before anyone says anything, I wasn't really all that worried about either of these two, but I know it was in the back, way back, of every MBM's mind.