OT: African Recruting Woes on 60 Minutes

DoctorB

The charter school landscape in most states makes this possible. There's almost no regulation or oversight. The market is flooded with bad actors looking to make money in tax avoidance schemes. And when they're recruiting internationally, layers of middlemen are all trying to get a cut of getting athletes over here and paperwork done. I would love to see these schools and the people who run them face greater scrutiny. I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Even the best-known ones around the country, the ones that travel everywhere and put whole rosters in D-I, have horror stories. Look at stories from Hillcrest from a couple years before Jacobs went there. Players were overcrowded in low-rent apartments. All classes were online and low in quality. They were fed pizza delivery almost every day. They claim to have cleaned things up since then but just imagine how many of these there are around the country.

TheChosenOne likes this

10 minutes ago, willie said:

Watched last night. Anyone know Diara’s story?

Diarra went to a legit HS, St. Benedict's. I don't know the story about how he came over to the U.S., though.

Yaya Keita and Sekou Gassama, 2021 SLU recruits, go to DeSmet and live with host families. I also don't know about their initial journey here but their current situation is probably as good as what they would've expected - good education and a good school, strong basketball training and competition, a community looking out for them. Diarra had the same at St. B's.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Diarra went to a legit HS, St. Benedict's. I don't know the story about how he came over to the U.S., though.

Yaya Keita and Sekou Gassama, 2021 SLU recruits, go to DeSmet and live with host families. I also don't know about their initial journey here but their current situation is probably as good as what they would've expected - good education and a good school, strong basketball training and competition, a community looking out for them. Diarra had the same at St. B's.

Thanks