A10 Early Entries & Transfer (Consolidated Listing)

Taj79

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Nice reporting of the facts.  No need to shoot the lowly messenger.  Cox needs to double the salary of whomever his compliance or eligibility officer is.  That person must know hoe to play the system.  

The situation at Rhode Island obviously got better.  The players in question all have diverse situations:  Carey could be argued as just a plain redshirt transfer as he all but sat out all last year.  But did he really?  Not in the common,usual sense. Martin is a straight up  transfer, having played in all of Charlotte's 29 games last year.  Francis Okoro is sitting out the year in his transfer situation (injured sure). The Mitchell twins were problematic at Maryland because their mom/entourage knew more than Mark Turgeon. They left Maryland at Christmas, shopped themselves around, and then chose Rhodey in March/April.  Three distinct cases, all eligible.  Yeah, nothing to see here, move along.  And none of them are going "home" to play in front of grandma, so the family excuse isn't really an option.  Carey and martin are from NYC; the Mitchells from DC.

I am surprised ----- not that it happened given the NCAA's track record, I am more surprised it happened at Rhode Island, a non-power team in a non-power conference.  

I totally share your frustration, Taj. I think a lot of college coaches do too. I remember Izzo went off last year because one of his kids didn’t get a waiver. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the kids fault, or the schools for that matter. 100% of the blame falls on the NCAA. They have this waiver rule, and NOBODY knows how it actually works. We may know how it’s SUPPOSED to work, how it’s written up in the NCAA’s laughingstock of a rule book, but when you look at which kids get waivers and which kids don’t, it appears completely arbitrary and random. And if you ask why 1 kid got a waiver and 1 kid didn’t, the NCAA collectively shrugs it’s shoulders and walks away. There is zero transparency to the point that even coaches don’t know what’s going on. And what’s worse is the NCAA doesn’t even seem to care. It’s always been “our way or the highway.” So they never feel like they owe anybody an explanation for any of their seemingly irrational rules. I guess it is what is. And good for the Rhodey kids. Why wouldn’t they apply for a waiver, with how random the selections seem? I would. Nothing against them. The whole process is just so stupid and pointless.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@Coach314:  you seem to be connected ...... what insight can you provide on the NCAA waiver process?

I have been just as confused over the years.  I don't know all the rules... but I have heard they recently simplified the process making it easier to transfer.  Not sure if it's temporary because of the pandemic or if it's a long-term change.

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@coach:  Interesting.  Thanks.  Frankly, the pandemic is a bullshite excusae ...... isn't the pandemic everywhere?

It's not a matter of where the pandemic is affecting (yes, everywhere) but how it's affecting timelines. They're also getting slammed with waiver requests from players wanting to be closer to home or to get out of a certain place. The NCAA doesn't want to be bogged down with every individual case, even if some individual arguments coming to them are questionable. There are also a number of players who transferred this season with the expectation of the sit year for first time transfers going away, which doesn't appear to be happening until at least 2021-2022 now. In short: If you're the NCAA, would you rather deal with a few thousand complaints or just be done with it?

HoosierPal and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It's not a matter of where the pandemic is affecting (yes, everywhere) but how it's affecting timelines. They're also getting slammed with waiver requests from players wanting to be closer to home or to get out of a certain place. The NCAA doesn't want to be bogged down with every individual case, even if some individual arguments coming to them are questionable. There are also a number of players who transferred this season with the expectation of the sit year for first time transfers going away, which doesn't appear to be happening until at least 2021-2022 now. In short: If you're the NCAA, would you rather deal with a few thousand complaints or just be done with it?

I think this time the NCAA has it right.  I understand why players might want to move from a hot spot to an area of the country that isn’t.  I understand players being concerned about COVID that the player and parents want them closer to home.

Even though I do not fear COVID plenty of people do and I respect their feelings so the NCAA should make an exception until COVID is brought completely in control in all 50 states.

Happy Friday

HoosierPal likes this

12 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I have been just as confused over the years.  I don't know all the rules... but I have heard they recently simplified the process making it easier to transfer.  Not sure if it's temporary because of the pandemic or if it's a long-term change.

It will be permanent.  As you recall, first in April and then in June the NCAA pushed back and then tabled a vote on a one time free transfer.  That vote was delayed due to the multiple issues already on hand with the pandemic.  They also wanted a full rule change rather than a policy statement.  The NCAA currently plans to vote on this change at their January conference.  As Pistol reported, the plan would be for it to be effective for the 21-22 academic year.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I think this time the NCAA has it right.  I understand why players might want to move from a hot spot to an area of the country that isn’t.  I understand players being concerned about COVID that the player and parents want them closer to home.

Right. And to be clear, my point is that there are some players genuinely concerned and others who are probably just using it as cover for wanting to transfer for another reason. Regardless, the NCAA does not have the ability to spend a lot of time ruling on each case. Between the pandemic and the pending rule change, there's no reason not to grant waivers for the 2020-2021 academic year.

Interesting that it doesn't really have an impact on SLU basketball this season. We have a grad transfer who's immediately eligible and a regular transfer who wants to rest for a season. It is going to impact most of the league, though, and especially Rhode Island.

I think the greatest impact likely to happen this season is likely to be the way they refashion the way the season will be played, be it using bubbles of teams playing among themselves, or the creation of small groups of teams that will play together for at least some time. This is all very confusing to me. We will see how this plays. If we are lucky enough to get into the right bubbles or small groups of teams, we just might have the best season ever for the Bills. I hope this turns out to be what happens.

Thanks to all for the insights.  I guess I'm just the Sheldon Cooper of the Billikenboard in that I believe that an institution devoid of rules and regulations or lax in the same, is doing no one a favor.  So much so that why be in existence?  

I understand Pistol's take in terms of dealing with fewer complaints but so what, isn't that your job?  Isn't that why you get the big bucks in your take off the CBS tournament dollars?  I completely understand getting closer to home in terms of the pandemic and I am glad Levi Stockard made it back to Richmond, Virginia.  Ditto all the Rhode Island kids from DC and NYC.  I understand kids assumed the waiver rule would be voided but you know what they say about "assume."  It's like Mickey Pearson of Lincoln, Al., playing in front of grandma in Texas.  

As for CB Fan .... while I understand and sanction your sentiment on getting out of a so-called pandemic 'hot spot'and would gladly accept any and all under that banner, Landers Nolley going from countryside  Blacksburg, Va., to city metro Memphis, Tn., seems a reversal at least in that case.  Not picking on Lolley, just saying.  

What I also don't get is the NCAA announcing these transfer waivers individually.  Seems like quite an addition to the sham.   If it is as you say, why the grand performance to grant these waivers individually ---- just do it.  Give it to them all as some say it is.  As is and from a distance, it gives the appearance that someone at the NCAA is looking over these individual waiver applications and weighing them against some sort of qualifying criteria and then making a pronouncement.  That adds to the 'behind the curtain' suspense that is the NCAA and just adds to the ongoing sham.  

Kids have wanted out of situations since the beginning of time.  I am all for open transfers if the coach they signed with leaves the program or is fired.  No issues with the 'grandma' clause.  No questions asked; immediate eligibility.  I'd even open the door for kids that are recruited over but I doubt any coach would ever admit that.  Otherwise, learn to choose better and more wisely.  

Now I'll let it die.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Thanks to all for the insights.  I guess I'm just the Sheldon Cooper of the Billikenboard in that I believe that an institution devoid of rules and regulations or lax in the same, is doing no one a favor.  So much so that why be in existence?  

I understand Pistol's take in terms of dealing with fewer complaints but so what, isn't that your job?  Isn't that why you get the big bucks in your take off the CBS tournament dollars?  I completely understand getting closer to home in terms of the pandemic and I am glad Levi Stockard made it back to Richmond, Virginia.  Ditto all the Rhode Island kids from DC and NYC.  I understand kids assumed the waiver rule would be voided but you know what they say about "assume."  It's like Mickey Pearson of Lincoln, Al., playing in front of grandma in Texas.  

As for CB Fan .... while I understand and sanction your sentiment on getting out of a so-called pandemic 'hot spot'and would gladly accept any and all under that banner, Landers Nolley going from countryside  Blacksburg, Va., to city metro Memphis, Tn., seems a reversal at least in that case.  Not picking on Lolley, just saying.  

What I also don't get is the NCAA announcing these transfer waivers individually.  Seems like quite an addition to the sham.   If it is as you say, why the grand performance to grant these waivers individually ---- just do it.  Give it to them all as some say it is.  As is and from a distance, it gives the appearance that someone at the NCAA is looking over these individual waiver applications and weighing them against some sort of qualifying criteria and then making a pronouncement.  That adds to the 'behind the curtain' suspense that is the NCAA and just adds to the ongoing sham.  

Kids have wanted out of situations since the beginning of time.  I am all for open transfers if the coach they signed with leaves the program or is fired.  No issues with the 'grandma' clause.  No questions asked; immediate eligibility.  I'd even open the door for kids that are recruited over but I doubt any coach would ever admit that.  Otherwise, learn to choose better and more wisely.  

Now I'll let it die.

Sheldon never lets anything die. 

On 8/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, slu72 said:

I'll say it for the 1,000th time; under the no sit out rule, which will come to pass, the P5/P6 will use it to treat the mids like farm teams. Anyone who thinks differently has their heads in the sands or the clouds. 

Yes they will treat the mids like farm teams. Should be tough for about 9/14 teams in the league.

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Yes they will treat the mids like farm teams. Should be tough for about 9/14 teams in the league.

I don't think any mid major team/conference will be immune from this infection. And I'm not talking about the plague. If you have bigs like UK, KU, Duke, UNC, et al staging raiding parties for the best additions to their roster, it will tempt a lot of kids to make the leap. On the other hand, the bigs may have to pare down their rosters for kids who didn't live up to expectations. These kids may find their comfort zone with mids, but, all in all, the elites will end up being the beneficiaries of this rule. 

30 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Taj and others make great points about what is happening with the waivers but my belief is that the pandemic has changed everything so give the players the benefit of the doubt understanding there will be others that will take advantage of the situation.

The players on the Billikens roster for P5 / P6 possibilities to use a mid as a farm team is Jimmy Bell and Yuri Collins.  

Bell and Collins have been developed by the SLU coaching staff and could be an immediate impact on another team trying to fill a need.

I'm not sure it really changes the balance of power as it stands now. Power conference teams already get transfers from smaller conferences when they can. There are also a lot of former 3- and 4-star recruits who move down a level when the fit isn't right. We're still going to end up with guys like Javon Bess and Francis Okoro.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not sure it really changes the balance of power as it stands now. Power conference teams already get transfers from smaller conferences when they can. There are also a lot of former 3- and 4-star recruits who move down a level when the fit isn't right. We're still going to end up with guys like Javon Bess and Francis Okoro.

And guys like Tramaine Isabell will transfer up

CB fan:  please explain "the benefit of the doubt" part of your statement.  I understand your statement two posts ago about vacating virus hot spots.  Levi Stockard (and I'm not picking on him just using that known example) doesn't seem to fit that mold.  Neither do the Mitchells.  LJ Figueroa might but he upgraded from St. John's (NYC = covid hot spot) to Oregon as far as basketball is concerned.  Why not give Jacob Toppin a waiver?  Why not Adam Kunkel?  Mac McClung?  If your going to give waivers out willy-nilly to avoid a massive backlog (as Pistol suggested) give it in a blanket.  Otherwise, its disingenuous at best.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

And guys like Tramaine Isabell will transfer up

Right. I just don't think it changes much except the speed at which this existing trend occurs. The balance of power won't change. Everyone still has 13 scholarships.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Right. I just don't think it changes much except the speed at which this existing trend occurs. The balance of power won't change. Everyone still has 13 scholarships.

I do think the 1 year sit out rule may well have prevented players and schools from going aggressively after transfers. If a P5 needs a spot filled, say a big, for one season they would prefer a GT to a say a Soph mid who won’t be available. But w/o the rule the Soph becomes The more attractive option. He fills the immediate need and still has a year to play. 
I don’t worry too much about losing Yuri, as I do Jimmy Bell and Jimerson. Say, Jimmy really comes on but not yet draft ready. Say Izzo has a need for a serviceable big. Jimmy’s from Lansing. That’s going to be an attractive option for him. A guy like Jimerson is going to be wanted by a lot of schools, so if a school like UVA comes after him, I think he’d be tempted. The reasons in both cases: Elite Home programs where they get to play in front of family and friends. The one year of sitting is no longer an obstacle. Call me paranoid, but this rule is a mid killer.