A10 Early Entries & Transfer (Consolidated Listing)

Taj79

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the Richmond as consensus #1 pick. They were #46 in KenPom, we were #62. I listened to those dopes on 3 Bid League and I get it even less

• people always talk about improvement, and just because guys come back doesn't mean they're improved. Players most likely to improve are sophomores, not seniors. We had 4 frosh play significant roles. We can't count on them all making leaps, but they're much more likely to improve than the Richmond seniors. 
  • they can't play different styles. SLU can
  • they finished two games ahead of SLU, largely because of their schedule, not because they were better in league
  • SLU has better top players. Goodwin and Perkins are better than their best 
  • SLU's adding more: Thatch, Jimerson, Linssen. We roll 10-11 deep next year. Our 7th best guy starts for Richmond; our 11th best guy is in their top 7. 
  • the 3 Bid League dorks always say that teams don't always get better just because they bring everyone back. Fine. But if there's a poster-child for that theory, IT'S RICHMOND, NOT SLU! Most of their guys don't have much room for improvement. SLU, on the other hand, has obvious and realistic ways to improve (French can shoot 50% FT, and Goodwin 70%, like his fr. year; Collins can be a threat from 3, and cut down on turnovers, Hargrove can be a contributor the whole season, rather than just for 12 games, Bell can be in better shape and finish around the rim better).

I'm ready to run through a wall for this upcoming season. Come on back, Jordan and Has, and be part of the first Sweet 16 season in history!

bauman, Zink and brianstl like this

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I don't get the Richmond as consensus #1 pick. They were #46 in KenPom, we were #62. I listened to those dopes on 3 Bid League and I get it even less

• people always talk about improvement, and just because guys come back doesn't mean they're improved. Players most likely to improve are sophomores, not seniors. We had 4 frosh play significant roles. We can't count on them all making leaps, but they're much more likely to improve than the Richmond seniors. 
  • they can't play different styles. SLU can
  • they finished two games ahead of SLU, largely because of their schedule, not because they were better in league
  • SLU has better top players. Goodwin and Perkins are better than their best 
  • SLU's adding more: Thatch, Jimerson, Linssen. We roll 10-11 deep next year. Our 7th best guy starts for Richmond; our 11th best guy is in their top 7. 
  • the 3 Bid League dorks always say that teams don't always get better just because they bring everyone back. Fine. But if there's a poster-child for that theory, IT'S RICHMOND, NOT SLU! Most of their guys don't have much room for improvement. SLU, on the other hand, has obvious and realistic ways to improve (French can shoot 50% FT, and Goodwin 70%, like his fr. year; Collins can be a threat from 3, and cut down on turnovers, Hargrove can be a contributor the whole season, rather than just for 12 games, Bell can be in better shape and finish around the rim better).

I'm ready to run through a wall for this upcoming season. Come on back, Jordan and Has, and be part of the first Sweet 16 season in history!

At the end of the day, what do you expect their record to be in conference and what do you expect our record to be?  It's really that simple. 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

2019 preseason favorite - VCU, finished 9th

2018 preseason favorite - SLU, finished 6th

Both of which had major injuries/departures in the middle of the season.That doesn't mean they were bad predictions.

Littlebill likes this

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

At the end of the day, what do you expect their record to be in conference and what do you expect our record to be?  It's really that simple. 

If they play us twice, which I'd expect given they'll want the two favorites playing eachother, I think they've got two losses off the bat . :) 

As was discussed on the last House That Majerus Built, we are a terrible match-up for them. 

22 minutes ago, NH said:

Both of which had major injuries/departures in the middle of the season.That doesn't mean they were bad predictions.

im not here saying if these predictions are good or bad, simply posting that in the last 2 years, both favorites ended the regular season far from that

17 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’m not sure what the root of it is, but I don’t think Goodman’s the only one in the media with that opinion. Again, can’t explain why, but I just get that feel.

Maybe, but the Richmond pick can be justified just by looking at their record.  The analysts aren't looking at matchups.  Dayton went into last season with an unguardable player and added a three point shooter and they didn't pick Dayton first either.  

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

im not here saying if these predictions are good or bad, simply posting that in the last 2 years, both favorites ended the regular season far from that

Don't mean to put words in your mouth, apologies. I've just seen that stat posted a couple times now, and don''t really think there is anything to take away from it.  

wgstl likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe, but the Richmond pick can be justified just by looking at their record.  The analysts aren't looking at matchups.  Dayton went into last season with an unguardable player and added a three point shooter and they didn't pick Dayton first either.  

Someone like Goodman should be able to look at the context of the season, which would tell him that SLU was the better team at the end of the season (and returns every key contributor).

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Someone like Goodman should be able to look at the context of the season, which would tell him that SLU was the better team at the end of the season (and returns every key contributor).

I think we'll be better too, but Richmond had a better season last year and also returns every key contributor. We won our last 5 games, but they won 9 of their last 10, so it wasn't like they didn't also finish strong. And I hope Richmond is as good as Goodman thinks they will be. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Richmond was blowing out everybody at the end of the season just like we were.

I think we're better than Richmond head to head...but there are other teams Richmond matches up with better than we do. 

I was not impressed with Richmond when they played SLU, but SLU just beat the hell out of them in the second half. A healthy and more experienced Yuri Collins is going to be the key against Gilyard (we defended him really well last year, and Gilyard's strength is the defensive end. 

They ran UMass out of the gym late in the year, which is scary.

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Richmond was blowing out everybody at the end of the season just like we were.

All advanced metrics say we were better at the end of the season. Regardless, it is pointless to debate about, but we're more likely to make an appearance in the top 10 than end the season where Goodman places us. 

26 minutes ago, slusam said:

Elijah Weaver is transferring to Dayton

Looking at his 2 yr stats at USC, he doesn't look like anything to worry about.  He would fit right into a Billiken uni with regard to FT shooting-around 58%.  32-34% fcrom beyond the arc.

I assume he has to sit out this year and will be a junior next year.

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

Looking at his 2 yr stats at USC, he doesn't look like anything to worry about.  He would fit right into a Billiken uni with regard to FT shooting-around 58%.  32-34% fcrom beyond the arc.

I assume he has to sit out this year and will be a junior next year.

I think it’s similar to the Okoro commitment in the fact that the numbers don’t jump off the page, but he’s a former top 50 recruit

Pistol likes this

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’d like to read where JGood and Has are delaying their NBA dreams for a year. Makes me wonder what they’re hearing about their chances and from whom. 

JGood has been posting a lot of SLU stuff on his Instagram. So I think that’s a good sign. Has is in Cali right now (according to his Instagram).  He hasn’t posted an NBA or even basketball stuff, so I think he’s just having fun on vacation. Good for him. Wish I was hanging out in Southern California right about now. Lol

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

JGood has been posting a lot of SLU stuff on his Instagram. So I think that’s a good sign. Has is in Cali right now (according to his Instagram).  He hasn’t posted an NBA or even basketball stuff, so I think he’s just having fun on vacation. Good for him. Wish I was hanging out in Southern California right about now. Lol

Seems silly to be taking vacations at a time like this,so I’m not sure that’s it. In one of the pics, he’s in a nice hotel room or apartment that is overlooking Staples Center. 

24 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

Seems silly to be taking vacations at a time like this,so I’m not sure that’s it. In one of the pics, he’s in a nice hotel room or apartment that is overlooking Staples Center. 

Yeah, I dunno. Looks like he’s with other people his age. Not sure. 

16 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I think it’s similar to the Okoro commitment in the fact that the numbers don’t jump off the page, but he’s a former top 50 recruit

This. Dayton has managed to find the right mix of sit-one D-I transfers (Watson, Chatman, Tshimanga, etc.) to go with its existing core. Obviously worked wonders this past season, and heading into the season people weren't sure how well the transfer-heavy roster would come together. I wouldn't get too hung up on Weaver's numbers at USC. There will be a ton of opportunity at UD in the next couple seasons; they still have a couple scholarships to give this year, too.