Hankton Gone

SLU_Nick

13 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I'm hearing the staff wants another big next year.  Playing Hargrove and Perkins at PF was only done out of necessity.

Hello coach, my concern is depth at the guard position because Fred Thatch’s condition.

I would really like for coach Ford and staff to convince Russell to commit to SLU to replace Weaver’s minutes and if someone gets injured or punished.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sure there is.   Hankton is a student athlete.   His student portion could have been mentioned -- his grades, his major.   He was/is a good teammate - and that could have been mentioned.   His injuries and current health/physical status could have been mentioned.   Either lazy reporting or limited resources/space appears to be present... but if you are going to write a story, then make it more detailed than a 5th grader's article.

Stu’s write-up told me everything I needed to know.  It’s not an obituary.

dlarry and TheA_Bomb like this

37 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sure there is.   Hankton is a student athlete.   His student portion could have been mentioned -- his grades, his major.   He was/is a good teammate - and that could have been mentioned.   His injuries and current health/physical status could have been mentioned.   Either lazy reporting or limited resources/space appears to be present... but if you are going to write a story, then make it more detailed than a 5th grader's article.

We don’t need the KC Hankton 30 for 30

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He wasn’t writing a story he was passing along information.

there is no reason to write a story about a kid leaving school.

Its none of our business why he is leaving.

His grades are none of our business.

Who cares if he was a good teammate he’s gone. If he wasn’t are you going to roast him on his way out?

The guy barely played. This is all that was needed.

Agree with you 100%.  Some posters just need to B and M.  Hankton has yet to make a statement on his transferrrig.  There is no story, yet. 

12 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Hello coach, my concern is depth at the guard position because Fred Thatch’s condition.

I would really like for coach Ford and staff to convince Russell to commit to SLU to replace Weaver’s minutes and if someone gets injured or punished.

Depth?  We have 3 legitimate bigs returning and one played less than 15 minutes the whole season.   If we need depth reinforcement anywhere, its in the paint.

Clock_Tower likes this

15 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Did they offer Phil...I thought they were just showing interest

40 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

With the university closed for Coronavirus, how exactly do you propose Stu get ahold of Hankton’s academic records...especially since it wasn’t confirmed that he was transferring until around 6  yesterday evening? Or maybe, while acceptable to keep him eligible, his grades weren’t worth mentioning. Or maybe this story is simply a place holder under deadline until Stu is able to gather more details for a more in-depth article. There’s a lot more that goes into journalism than “calling a source.” Calling media members lazy every time you don’t like what they have to say, is, quite frankly...lazy.

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He wasn’t writing a story he was passing along information.

there is no reason to write a story about a kid leaving school.

Its none of our business why he is leaving.

His grades are none of our business.

Who cares if he was a good teammate he’s gone. If he wasn’t are you going to roast him on his way out?

The guy barely played. This is all that was needed.

Sorry Dad.  So says you.  Quite bitter again today I see.

The guy barely played so therefore a few more sentences is not warranted?   So that's your test for who deserves more lengthy/quality of articles?

And I guess you didn't read the story b/c the reason why he is leaving WAS given -- to be closer to home...  

And when have I "roasted" anyone on their way out?  On the contrary, I am suggesting a nicer, more detailed article be written for a student athlete who gave all he had for 2 years here at SLU, who WAS a good teammate, who did not break school/team rules, laws....  Being a good teammate DOES matter.

Just saying the article could have been a little more informative - and nicer.   And no, I am not looking for his grade in Biology class but that Hankton is an honor roll student major in _____ and is looking to complete his degree closer to home.";   or that he "was a top ___forward out of high school but things did not work out due to injuries to his foot OR to his back …. but that he has fully recovered and is looked to play healthy elsewhere.

Adman likes this

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I think frank said SLU had to offer quickly/soon it they wanted Phil otherwise he was going somewhere else. At the time there was no scholarship to “offer” but obviously that has changed now 

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Depth?  We have 3 legitimate bigs returning and one played less than 15 minutes the whole season.   If we need depth reinforcement anywhere, its in the paint.

With the same players returning SLU led the A10 in rebounding because of have an incredible guard that can rebound and score in the paint.

Points in the paint is not an issue in my opinion but I do trust your opinion over mine about the biggest need on the team.  As the team stands today how do you see the guard position?

27 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I checked Pistols list of offers so not currently but I am hoping SLU moves quickly on him.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I checked Pistols list of offers so not currently but I am hoping SLU moves quickly on him.

At this time of year and with everything going on it wouldn't blow my mind that an official offer from Ford and Co. wouldn't even be talked about until after Phil makes his decision. 

I know I saw him at quite a few games this year. He's a player I'd be very excited to see stay home. 

58 minutes ago, CBFan said:

the way the we're recruting players leads me to believe coaches know something in regards to Thatch, and not just a guess. Seems to me they have good reason to think he'll be back, regarldess of what some mbm think

CBFan and JohnnyJumpUp like this

48 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sorry Dad.  So says you.  Quite bitter again today I see.

The guy barely played so therefore a few more sentences is not warranted?   So that's your test for who deserves more lengthy/quality of articles?

And I guess you didn't read the story b/c the reason why he is leaving WAS given -- to be closer to home...  

And when have I "roasted" anyone on their way out?  On the contrary, I am suggesting a nicer, more detailed article be written for a student athlete who gave all he had for 2 years here at SLU, who WAS a good teammate, who did not break school/team rules, laws....  Being a good teammate DOES matter.

Just saying the article could have been a little more informative - and nicer.   And no, I am not looking for his grade in Biology class but that Hankton is an honor roll student major in _____ and is looking to complete his degree closer to home.";   or that he "was a top ___forward out of high school but things did not work out due to injuries to his foot OR to his back …. but that he has fully recovered and is looked to play healthy elsewhere.

I’m not bitter at all. I just disagree with you. I don’t think we need a more detailed article and I stated why.

55 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I think frank said SLU had to offer quickly/soon it they wanted Phil otherwise he was going somewhere else. At the time there was no scholarship to “offer” but obviously that has changed now 

Sorry but I really am not up on Phil Russell - I googled him and so now I know he is a Vashon point guard who is 5'10" 165lbs.  So, can he shoot? how does he compare with Yuri? and why is he still unsigned at this late date if he is good?  Thanks for the info in advance.  Nevermind - I got the info from another thread - sorry.

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m not bitter at all. I just disagree with you. I don’t think we need a more detailed article and I stated why.

Agreed. Journalism isn’t about being nice and making sure nobody’s feelings get hurt. There are editors and word counts and deadlines to contend with. 

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Sorry but I really am not up on Phil Russell - I googled him and so now I know he is a Vashon point guard who is 5'10" 165lbs.  So, can he shoot? how does he compare with Yuri? and why is he still unsigned at this late date if he is good?  Thanks for the info in advance.

Signed with SEMO in the fall.  Decommitted 3 weeks ago after their coach was fired. Very good three point shooter who is a good enough ball-handler to back up the point.  While Yuri was a dominant scorer in the the paint in high school, Russell struggles there.  A 5'10 guard who shoots well from three and can handle ballhandling responsibilities is the kind of backup point you'd want on any team.  

cheeseman likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Signed with SEMO in the fall.  Decommitted 3 weeks ago after their coach was fired. Very good three point shooter who is a good enough ball-handler to back up the point.  While Yuri was a dominant scorer in the the paint in high school, Russell struggles there.  A 5'10 guard who shoots well from three and can handle ballhandling responsibilities is the kind of backup point you'd want on any team.  

Hey 3star, do you think Russell could develop into scoring more inside...at least enough to keep defenders honest so they’re not sitting on him just firing up 3s? I know it’s just a highlight video, but he seemed to show good touch on floaters and also seemed to possess some creativity and body control when he did drive. Do you think with SLU’s strength and conditioning program, he could get to the point where scoring inside is at least an option for him if defenders are overplaying him on the perimeter?

51 minutes ago, CBFan said:

With the same players returning SLU led the A10 in rebounding because of have an incredible guard that can rebound and score in the paint.

Points in the paint is not an issue in my opinion but I do trust your opinion over mine about the biggest need on the team.  As the team stands today how do you see the guard position?

We are fine.   Very capable point in Yuri who will only get better.   Proven he can play big minutes and if need be goodwin and Jacobs can fill in just fine.   

On the wings we are loaded with depth.   There is no reason to even go through that.

In the paint we have one future billiken hof'er a currently developing center and a totally unproven center that is still likely recovering from a devastating knee injury.   

I think its obvious where we need depth.

Zink and CBFan like this

Just now, Reinert310 said:

Hey 3star, do you think Russell could develop into scoring more inside...at least enough to keep defenders honest so they’re not sitting on him just firing up 3s? I know it’s just a highlight video, but he seemed to show good touch on floaters and also seemed to possess some creativity and body control when he did drive. Do you think with SLU’s strength and conditioning program, he could get to the point where scoring inside is at least an option for him if defenders are overplaying him on the perimeter?

Sure, increased strength can make him a more effective driver.  But there's absolutely nothing wrong with a small guard scoring almost exclusively from three-point range.  Duquesne's Tavian Dunn-Martin has been eating our lunch playing that way.  From the Billiken perspective, we would actually prefer Dunn-Martin drive more.  

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sure, increased strength can make him a more effective driver.  But there's absolutely nothing wrong with a small guard scoring almost exclusively from three-point range.  Duquesne's Tavian Dunn-Martin has been eating our lunch playing that way.  From the Billiken perspective, we would actually prefer Dunn-Martin drive more.  

For sure. I was really just talking about in terms of keeping teams honest in terms of guarding him. Even getting into the lane and kicking back out, so defenders can’t overplay him at the 3-point line.