2020-21 Preseason rankings

This fell through the cracks:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28936673/villanova-tops-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2020-21

Richmond came in at #25. ESPN makes it clear that the rankings will shift as guys declare for the draft. Disappointed that SLU wasn't even "next in line." Rankings are always good for exposure. I expect in the pre-season rankings SLU will land somewhere between 25-50 in most places. I hope they spend most of the year in the top 25.

I get that Richmond will probably be the pre-season pick to win the A-10. Billikens are more talented though, and also bigger. They've got nobody to guard Perkins. I hope we play them twice and that both teams are ranked for at least one of those matchups. 

Doesn't make much sense to me that people would pick Richmond above us. We beat them easily in our most recent match up and are returning just as much as they are (probably bringing more in, too). Arguably the best insider (or my favorite) Jon Rothstein picked us ahead of them. I think more should follow suit, but we won't won't get the hype we deserve from A10 talk and others.

Just now, A10Ref said:

Doesn't make much sense to me that people would pick Richmond above us. We beat them easily in our most recent match up and are returning just as much as they are (probably bringing more in, too). Arguably the best insider (or my favorite) Jon Rothstein picked us ahead of them. I think more should follow suit, but we won't won't get the hype we deserve from A10 talk and others.

Our Achilles heel is Duquesne and Richmond beat them by double digits.  They crushed UMass while Tre Mitchell abused us. For us to be picked ahead of Richmond, we have to win more games than them in the conference.  They've already proved they can 14 games.  Next year it could be 16.

A10Ref likes this

Richmond will go five deep again next year.  They have added no one of note this year (Tyler Burton was inconsistent) and they have another PG and center lined up for next year along with Tulane transfer 6'6" guard  Connor Crabtree who averaged 7.1 ppg in 30 games in his one year at Tulane.  But as three-star notes, they did well enough this year.

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our Achilles heel is Duquesne and Richmond beat them by double digits.  They crushed UMass while Tre Mitchell abused us. For us to be picked ahead of Richmond, we have to win more games than them in the conference.  They've already proved they can 14 games.  Next year it could be 16.

I understand this, and I understand that they have everybody coming back...but essentially, we do too. Assuming Thatch and Jimerson are both coming back (healthy) next year, I think that more than makes up for the 2 games they finished ahead of us in the standings. Take away a fluke 3 buzzer beater and an epic 2nd half meltdown and we have the same record as Richmond in conference play. Plus, we beat them. I’m sorry, I just think the inevitable growth of this team (Yuri’s hands not going numb, another year of maturation for Hargrove, etc., etc.) PLUS Jimerson and Thatch (potentially) coming back, should give us the edge. Maybe that’s just obvious bias, but that’s my two cents.

7 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I understand this, and I understand that they have everybody coming back...but essentially, we do too. Assuming Thatch and Jimerson are both coming back (healthy) next year, I think that more than makes up for the 2 games they finished ahead of us in the standings. Take away a fluke 3 buzzer beater and an epic 2nd half meltdown and we have the same record as Richmond in conference play. Plus, we beat them. I’m sorry, I just think the inevitable growth of this team (Yuri’s hands not going numb, another year of maturation for Hargrove, etc., etc.) PLUS Jimerson and Thatch (potentially) coming back, should give us the edge. Maybe that’s just obvious bias, but that’s my two cents.

I think it's reasonable to predict we'll be better. But most of the preseason pollsters don't know this team. 

2 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think it's reasonable to predict we'll be better. But most of the preseason pollsters don't know this team. 

For sure. Especially, this far out. Assuming everyone is healthy and ready to go, I’d be slightly surprised if the A10 preseason predictions don’t have us as the favorite. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and then. But there isn’t another team in the league that has our talent with 2 players at the level of Jimerson and Thatch that they claim as additions. 

SLU returns 7 proven players that won the last 5 games with 3 freshman now sophomores that have experience and will improve.

They will bring back Jimerson that teams will have to watch from the perimeter.

The top 8 players on our team should have SLU picked for second if Richmond is first in the A10.  The top 8 players alone if nobody else on the team steps up will win the A10.

The depth at the guard position is concerning if Thatch cannot return and that might be the reason SLU was not picked first.

BilliesBy40 and almaman like this

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Meh.... what's exciting about this list is we get a shot at #3 and # 9 in Orlando. 

....and # 17 at the Fetz!  Also, either/ both Xavier and Auburn , two teams that are always in the top 30-40 by the end of the year.  In addition, I would think the A 10 would schedule SLU and Richmond ( # 25) to play a home and home next year to help improve conference teams' SOS.

One advantage we will have in the Orlando tournament is that it is very early in the year and we should be as prepared as anyone early next year with a team FULL (not just the starting lineup) of returning players, who know the Ford system.  I watched the Bonnies game a couple of days ago and the team defense was the best I can ever remember seeing for SLU, even when considering the Rick M. years.

Comparisons are not really accurate if we move away from a predictable, one-dimensional, poor shooting bully ball team -- and have an Achilles heel and subject to loss disciplined teams pack the lane and officials frequently blow the whistle. 

As Perkins adapts, becomes more comfortable, and works hard this summer, I think he will improves from 3 point; if Hargrove can focus on being a wing (not a center) and continue to work hard this summer, his perimeter shooting will improve and I think he will become a "go to" guy and if Jimerson assumes the lead on perimeter shooting/takes pressure off, then Jacobs, Yuri and Goodwin will all increase their perimeter shooting percentages. And don't forget our 2 Freshman who can help as well.  If this happens, then our team will not be the one-dimensional team we have been these past 2 years - and won't be subject to the above Achilles heel.   If so, not worried about Duquesne or Richmond.

And I am NOT expecting Fred Thatch back, or back to his Freshman form/health, but we should be fine at guard with Yuri Jimerson, Hargrove, Jacobs, Perkins, Goodwin ad our 2 Frosh.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I missed SD State. Actually could get two whacks at them, since they're in Orlando as well. 

72, you appear to be mixing up schools that begin with "S."  Siena is the school that is in the Orlando event, not San Diego St.  Orlando teams are Zaga, Mich St, X, Auburn, SLU, Siena, Belmont, and Boise St.

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Comparisons are not really accurate if we move away from a predictable, one-dimensional, poor shooting bully ball team -- and have an Achilles heel and subject to loss disciplined teams pack the lane and officials frequently blow the whistle. 

As Perkins adapts, becomes more comfortable, and works hard this summer, I think he will improves from 3 point; if Hargrove can focus on being a wing (not a center) and continue to work hard this summer, his perimeter shooting will improve and I think he will become a "go to" guy and if Jimerson assumes the lead on perimeter shooting/takes pressure off, then Jacobs, Yuri and Goodwin will all increase their perimeter shooting percentages. And don't forget our 2 Freshman who can help as well.  If this happens, then our team will not be the one-dimensional team we have been these past 2 years - and won't be subject to the above Achilles heel.   If so, not worried about Duquesne or Richmond.

And I am NOT expecting Fred Thatch back, or back to his Freshman form/health, but we should be fine at guard with Yuri Jimerson, Hargrove, Jacobs, Perkins, Goodwin ad our 2 Frosh.

Clock, following up your post, a few stats that are relevant.  JP hit 41.2% of his 3 pt shots in the last 18 games (our A 10 games).  I'll take that any day.  DJ hit 41.9% -again I'd take that next year, but hope he would shoot more often.  TH Jr shot 36.4% which is higher than I thought and a good number for a guy not known for his shooting abilities.  With some work I think we could see the improvement you mention. 

All in all, the team's Conf 3 pt shooting % was 34.4%.  If you eliminate JG's 3 pt record (28.2 %) from the team Conf stats, the team would have been 35.9 % .  All of this w/o Jimerson having any impact on the preceding numbers-remember he did not play any A 10 games.  FYI, his early season numbers were 24 of 56 or 42.9%.  Obviously, we would expect him to shoot many more 3 pointers over an entire season, but if you just substitute his limited record for JG's A 10 record we would have made 97 of 259 or 37.5 %..  If Jimerson plays a full year and just doubles his attempts/ makes (i.e. 48/112) , the team % goes to 38.4%, a full 4% better than last year, and that is w/o any hoped for improvement from TH Jr, YC or either of our two incoming recruits, one of whom (AL) is a 40%+  shooter.

I think this means that JB Jr, HF and JG will have more room to maneuver in the paint and continue to dominate the boards.  Now if we could just stay healthy!

43 minutes ago, bauman said:

Clock, following up your post, a few stats that are relevant.  JP hit 41.2% of his 3 pt shots in the last 18 games (our A 10 games).  I'll take that any day.  DJ hit 41.9% -again I'd take that next year, but hope he would shoot more often.  TH Jr shot 36.4% which is higher than I thought and a good number for a guy not known for his shooting abilities.  With some work I think we could see the improvement you mention. 

All in all, the team's Conf 3 pt shooting % was 34.4%.  If you eliminate JG's 3 pt record (28.2 %) from the team Conf stats, the team would have been 35.9 % .  All of this w/o Jimerson having any impact on the preceding numbers-remember he did not play any A 10 games.  FYI, his early season numbers were 24 of 56 or 42.9%.  Obviously, we would expect him to shoot many more 3 pointers over an entire season, but if you just substitute his limited record for JG's A 10 record we would have made 97 of 259 or 37.5 %..  If Jimerson plays a full year and just doubles his attempts/ makes (i.e. 48/112) , the team % goes to 38.4%, a full 4% better than last year, and that is w/o any hoped for improvement from TH Jr, YC or either of our two incoming recruits, one of whom (AL) is a 40%+  shooter.

I think this means that JB Jr, HF and JG will have more room to maneuver in the paint and continue to dominate the boards.  Now if we could just stay healthy!

Thanks for the calculations.  Do you have the figures for Perkins's first half vs second half of the A10?  or first 1/3, second 1/3 and final 1/3?  My memory has him improving his shooting success rate (and all his stats) as the year went on.   

43 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

# 1 ;  13 ;  14 ;   and 18 as opponents,  and ranked ahead of Illinois.  This writer seems to know more about our team (mention includes GJ and JP) than most national writers.

59 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks for the calculations.  Do you have the figures for Perkins's first half vs second half of the A10?  or first 1/3, second 1/3 and final 1/3?  My memory has him improving his shooting success rate (and all his stats) as the year went on.   

CT, very astute observation regarding JP's progress during the year.  3 pt %s         1st     6 Conf games = 25.9%      

2nd    6 Conf  games  =  47.3 %

3 rd    6 Conf  games =  54.5 %

1 hour ago, bauman said:

CT, very astute observation regarding JP's progress during the year.  3 pt %s         1st     6 Conf games = 25.9%      

2nd    6 Conf  games  =  47.3 %

3 rd    6 Conf  games =  54.5 %

Thanks.   What I thought - though better than I thought.   We have our 3 point shooters for next year already:   Perkins and Jimerson.

As most all predicted, Perkins needed time to adjust to the college game.  I made a mistake by expecting too much, too soon from Perkins. I expected more from him early on (during OOC) b/c of his 2 years of prior JUCO experience as compared to all our true freshmen.   Further, I admit that I made another mistake as Perkins exceeded my expectations from conference play onward. A truly special player.  Didn't Javon Bess say he is the most talented offensive player on the team before the season?  Then we watched Perkins ride the bench or play 3 minutes? 

Again, credit to Coach Ford for teaching defense, and demanding defense/team play, from Perkins, Hargrove, Weaver, Yuri, Bell, Jacobs and Jimerson.   None were good at the start of the season.  And credit to the players for not sulking or getting angry, not quiting, not copping attitudes.    

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

45 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks.   What I thought - though better than I thought.   We have our 3 point shooters for next year already:   Perkins and Jimerson.

As most all predicted, Perkins needed time to adjust to the college game.  I made a mistake by expecting too much, too soon from Perkins. I expected more from him early on (during OOC) b/c of his 2 years of prior JUCO experience as compared to all our true freshmen.   Further, I admit that I made another mistake as Perkins exceeded my expectations from conference play onward. A truly special player.  Didn't Javon Bess say he is the most talented offensive player on the team before the season?  Then we watched Perkins ride the bench or play 3 minutes? 

Again, credit to Coach Ford for teaching defense, and demanding defense/team play, from Perkins, Hargrove, Weaver, Yuri, Bell, Jacobs and Jimerson.   None were good at the start of the season.  And credit to the players for not sulking or getting angry, not quiting, not copping attitudes.    

To Perkins and Jimerson add Jacobs and Our new Swede recruit, both of whom are over 40% from beyond the arc

6 hours ago, bauman said:

72, you appear to be mixing up schools that begin with "S."  Siena is the school that is in the Orlando event, not San Diego St.  Orlando teams are Zaga, Mich St, X, Auburn, SLU, Siena, Belmont, and Boise St.

I'm having my Biden moments no doubt. 

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

To Perkins and Jimerson add Jacobs and Our new Swede recruit, both of whom are over 40% from beyond the arc

Yep. I really like our team for next year - but again, not much of a backup for French.  An injury to him would be devastating. And even though Hankton did not develop in the backup for French, we are now less another “big”