Obi Toppin GoingPro (DUH)

Taj79

As expected.  This decimates Dayton's front line as Mikesell and Landers graduate.  Only Jordy Tshimanga is left on the bench or starts.  This leaves Dayton with two "forwards" on their entire roster, both of which redshirted this year ......6'7" four-star small forward Zimite Nwokeji and 6'8' three-star Moulaye Sissoko .... as it.  The only other player over 6'6" is two-star commit RJ Blakney.

There may be academic complications involved. The process as it was done in prior years was well defined and allowed the kids that found out their chances were not great to return in time to complete the academic requirements for the year. Depending on what is done, or how it is done, or if it is done, and when it is done, there may be problems with returning to  the school in time to complete the academic requirements. Or so it looks like to me.

As I understood it, you could go to the draft evaluation and get your grade. As long as you didn't sign w/ an agent, you were fine to return. Now if Obi has stopped all classwork and basically dropped out, I guess Old Guy would be correct. I don't think they're holding this eval camp anytime soon, however. A lot of kids future's are up in the air. 

there is no reason/scenario i can think of that makes sense for obi to go back to dayton for his junior year.   take the money and run obi.   has anyone been college player of the year multiple times?   alcindor?  walton?  oscar?   i dont know. but one has to believe obi's value will never be higher. 

bauman and rgbilliken like this

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

If the NBA cancels the draft, highly unlikely, and Obi Won has signed with an agent, can he get out of it and return to SVU? Or is he done? 

54 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As I understood it, you could go to the draft evaluation and get your grade. As long as you didn't sign w/ an agent, you were fine to return. Now if Obi has stopped all classwork and basically dropped out, I guess Old Guy would be correct. I don't think they're holding this eval camp anytime soon, however. A lot of kids future's are up in the air. 

I think we'll still see a lot of moving parts in terms of rules being flexible to accommodate extraordinary circumstances.

Even the NCAA knows they can't just screw players over in a very public way because of this unusual year.

In Obi's case, Roy is right. He's a lottery pick. He's not coming back.

For someone like Daly, who doesn't exactly possess what scouts call "upside" in large quantities, he would be wise to see his online classes through for the rest of the semester.

Old guy and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

there is no reason/scenario i can think of that makes sense for obi to go back to dayton for his junior year.   take the money and run obi.   has anyone been college player of the year multiple times?   alcindor?  walton?  oscar?   i dont know. but one has to believe obi's value will never be higher. 

Archie Griffin.  Oh wait...😀

almaman likes this

2 minutes ago, philliken said:

Archie Griffin.  Oh wait...😀

i looked it up, bill walton and ralph sampson are the only muti year winners of college player of the year in college basketball.   surprised that alcindor wasnt.   but if i remember correctly elvin hayes might have won it one of the great years alcindor had and likely his sophomore year he was still too new to garner the award. 

I was under the impression that declaring for the draft and then returning to school was doable only without hiring an agent and also was a one-and-done thing ---- in  other words, you can do it once.  Am I wrong with that assumption?

16 hours ago, slu72 said:

If the NBA cancels the draft, highly unlikely, and Obi Won has signed with an agent, can he get out of it and return to SVU? Or is he done? 

If NBA cancels the draft, that would only be due to no 2020-21 NBA season, and if that is the issue, there won't be an NCAA 2020-21 season.