KMOV - Hasahn French Interview

He should evaluate his options of going pro. Keeping options open the smart thing to do. And I’m guessing Has is confident in his ability and feels he can be an NBA player (whether scouts, GMs or us MBMs feel the same way is a different question). That said, I can’t imagine there’s any world in which he would get drafted, and I have confidence that he’ll be back next year to make the case that he’s ready for the next level.

I expect Jordan Goodwin is also evaluating his options, but will ultimately be back as well. So don’t be surprised if you see a similar interview from him over the coming months.

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Thank you for sharing Steve, the wife and really like that young man.

When French is on the court he looks like a man but in the interview just looking at his face I forget how young he is, great post.

Both he and Goodwin should go and declare or whatever the formal step is just so they can get into a pre-draft camp and get evaluated by the pros as to their next steps.  Personally, I can't see either coming out of the camp with the evaluation that their games are ready for the next level.  Obi Toppin declared, went to the camps, got feedback and then came back and developed into a likely lottery pick.  We have all watched our two stars grow but I, for one, don't see either as a draft selection.  This time last year I said Jordan Goodwin's game needed work.  Took a slightbit of heat for that but that still stands.  Goodwin got better .... but NBA good?  I don't think so.  Goodwin still needs a better shooting game.  We have all lamented Hasahn's inability to shoot free throws and i still think he needs some sort of offensive game from 10 feet in.  He reminds me a lot of Juvonte Reddic from VCU who got increasingly better his senior year at VCU.  Reddic was never drafted and has spent the last six years bouncing around teams in Europe with a short stint in Canton with the G League.  He also reminds me of another VCU product, Mo Alie-Cox, who finished last year as a tight end with the Indy Colts.

I'm all for our guys exploring all their options.  But ultimately returning.  Given our team's play over our last five games, i saw Brooklyn evolving as an exciting time for Billiken basketball.   They were robbed of that but next year is even brighter.

The Rational Side of My Brain is Saying: This is more than a perfectly reasonable response. You always have to be forward thinking and understanding your options. Evolve or die, just because you have a great thing going does that mean that you aren't prepping for the next step? 

The Billiken Side of My Brain is Saying: HASAHN. YOU NEED TO SAY FOREVER. NEVER LEAVE. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK OF LEAVING. WHY AREN'T YOU THINKING ABOUT MAKING A FINAL FOUR RUN NEXT YEAR??? 

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle there. 

Bizziken likes this

4 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

It is the smart approach for any junior with NBA aspirations. Declare and be evaluated. Find out what they think of you and what they want you to work on. He will be back assuming he doesn’t get a first round grade. If he does, good for him.

Exactly, but who sees that happening at this time? I love Has and his career at SLU. However, NBA material? Not w/o some kind of mid game. Develop that, and he's got a chance. I didn't see anything in this that should scare us, although, it's in our DNA to be Chicken Littles. I'm one of the worst. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Both he and Goodwin should go and declare or whatever the formal step is just so they can get into a pre-draft camp and get evaluated by the pros as to their next steps.  Personally, I can't see either coming out of the camp with the evaluation that their games are ready for the next level.  Obi Toppin declared, went to the camps, got feedback and then came back and developed into a likely lottery pick.  We have all watched our two stars grow but I, for one, don't see either as a draft selection.  This time last year I said Jordan Goodwin's game needed work.  Took a slightbit of heat for that but that still stands.  Goodwin got better .... but NBA good?  I don't think so.  Goodwin still needs a better shooting game.  We have all lamented Hasahn's inability to shoot free throws and i still think he needs some sort of offensive game from 10 feet in.  He reminds me a lot of Juvonte Reddic from VCU who got increasingly better his senior year at VCU.  Reddic was never drafted and has spent the last six years bouncing around teams in Europe with a short stint in Canton with the G League.  He also reminds me of another VCU product, Mo Alie-Cox, who finished last year as a tight end with the Indy Colts.

I'm all for our guys exploring all their options.  But ultimately returning.  Given our team's play over our last five games, i saw Brooklyn evolving as an exciting time for Billiken basketball.   They were robbed of that but next year is even brighter.

Taj, I think what you say is correct but there is a problem here and that is the generalized shut down of all kinds of venues that is currently going on because of the virus. Now, I do not have the faintest idea about where the pre-draft camp is or are located, but it does look like a lot of kids and evaluators usually attend these camps. Are they still open for business, or will they be open for business. This is not a season like every other season, it is different. Can we assume the camps are and or will continue being open this season? I really do not know, anyone knows the answer to this question?

1 hour ago, Billboy1 said:

Let's not start people thinking he is not coming back. Always thinking the worst is not the way to go. There is too much to look forward to next year.

How's that worked out for us in the past, especially before going into highly-anticipated seasons?

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Exactly, but who sees that happening at this time? I love Has and his career at SLU. However, NBA material? Not w/o some kind of mid game. Develop that, and he's got a chance. I didn't see anything in this that should scare us, although, it's in our DNA to be Chicken Littles. I'm one of the worst. 

Agreed, but I don’t think Has OR Goodwin are THAT far off. They’re both absolute warriors and athletic freaks. They both could hang on the defensive/rebounding end. For J-Good, he has to develop a 3-point shot. These days, it’s damn near impossible for a guard to play in the league and not consistently hit 3’s, and especially not a guard that’s 6’3. Has has to find some sort of jump shot. In the League, every team has multiple 7-footers he’s gonna gave to shoot over. But I see no reason why they shouldn’t declare and see how scouts evaluate them. Add Perkins to the mix too. His game translates to the league at least as well as Has or J-Good. But all 3 will be back next year, if for no other reason than another year of work gives them their best chance to stick in the NBA. 

@Old guy:  The NBA has operated on a standard cycle for the last few years.  Without getting into it too deeply, it is usually schedule based so kids can declare, go to the pre-draft workouts and get evaluated..  At that point, they can decide to return to school providing they didn't sign with an agent.  Or stay in the draft.  Everything is now skewed what with COVID-19 so who knows what will happen, if it will happen and when.  That is essentially what Hasahn said ---- all we can do is wait and see.

With the NBA shut down, travel shut down, groups of ten shut down, this ain't happening any time in what used to be normal.  And i agree with R310 ---- Perkins should go too.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Bizziken said:

Thanks for posting. In all likelihood it was nothing, but I did NOT like the answer to the 'have you decided if you're coming back to SLU for your senior season' question. 

I did NOT like the question. The reporter lost all credibility when she asked it.

I think the reporter asking French if he intends to come back for his senior season and his answer were both reasonable.

I also thini it is in his best interest to return for his senior season.
He will get the opportunity to improve he areas he needs to work on, FT shooting under pressure and adding attitional feet to his scoring range.
He will also get a great opportunity to show case his skills.  The Billikens will start the season with 2 proven, high volume outside shooters in Perkins and Jimmmmerson, making It more difficult for teams to automatically double team him.  We should also see improvement in other outside shooters and possibly new additions.  That will open up the inside and giving French more opportunities to take players one on one, and increase his per game scoring and rebounding numbers. 
We also have a more mature and very confident Yuri providing slick passes, that end in French highlight video dunks. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, Bizziken said:

Thanks for posting. In all likelihood it was nothing, but I did NOT like the answer to the 'have you decided if you're coming back to SLU for your senior season' question. 

Relax, his response appeared to address the NBA portion of the question more than the SLU portion.

2010andBeyond likes this