Favorite All Time Billiken Memory

My Top 5 Favorite Billiken Memories:

1) Columbus. 3 days of pure happiness. Enough said. 

2) SLU Wins 2019 A10 Tournament. An up and down year ends up exactly where we wanted to be: NCAA Tourney

3) SLU Beating Butler at Hinkle. Spent the whole weekend in Indy watching SLU dominate and getting rip roaring drunk.

4) Kwamain Beats Dayton on Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras games are always the best.

5) SLU Comeback vs NC State. I actually probably hated 90% of this game but the good parts were oh so good. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

My Top 5 Favorite Billiken Memories:

1) Columbus. 3 days of pure happiness. Enough said. 

2) SLU Wins 2019 A10 Tournament. An up and down year ends up exactly where we wanted to be: NCAA Tourney

3) SLU Beating Butler at Hinkle. Spent the whole weekend in Indy watching SLU dominate and getting rip roaring drunk.

4) Kwamain Beats Dayton on Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras games are always the best.

5) SLU Comeback vs NC State. I actually probably hated 90% of this game but the good parts were oh so good. 

Due to my age, I’d probably say the same about those 5 

1 minute ago, NextYearBill said:

Columbus. Specifically Kwam's parking lot 3... I'll chase that rush for the rest of my life

No doubt. 

That whole weekend was perfect. It started out the Sunday before. I'm at a buddy's house watching the Selection Show. We find out we're going to Columbus, slam some beers, and book our hotel rooms immediately. We then get on the horn with the rest of our crew and we got plans to drive to Columbus in a big ass Yukon.  Roll up Thursday night ...party in Columbus... go to the Pregame Friday...watching Mizzou lose in the Arena lobby....SLU playing great...Kwamain 3.... after game party..... Going out in Columbus for St. Paddy's Day Saturday and scalping Tickets for Sunday. I wasn't even that mad when SLU lost on Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

No doubt. 

That whole weekend was perfect. It started out the Sunday before. I'm at a buddy's house watching the Selection Show. We find out we're going to Columbus, slam some beers, and book our hotel rooms immediately. We then get on the horn with the rest of our crew and we got plans to drive to Columbus in a big ass Yukon.  Roll up Thursday night ...party in Columbus... go to the Pregame Friday...watching Mizzou lose in the Arena lobby....SLU playing great...Kwamain 3.... after game party..... Going out in Columbus for St. Paddy's Day Saturday and scalping Tickets for Sunday. I wasn't even that mad when SLU lost on Sunday. 

Too lazy to look it up, Sunday was the close loss to draymond green and state right, not Louisville? 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Too lazy to look it up, Sunday was the close loss to draymond green and state right, not Louisville? 

Right. Damn Keith Appling hit a 3 in the corner as the shot clock expired and that was the dagger. 

Guy shot like 31% for his career from 3. Thems the breaks in the tourney.

Of course that was right after Draymond put an elbow right in Cody's chest. 

Here is the box score: I didn't realize Kwamain only shot 2-9 from 3 in that game. Yikes. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2012-03-18-michigan-state.html

1. tie conference tourney champs -  miracle in memphis 2000.    brooklyn 2019.   i was there for both.   awesome.   

3. larry hughes entire season.   highlight every night.    took a mediocre team to the ncaa tourney.  dont care what anyone says, he was the greatest billiken player of all time.

4.  siu game at the old arena where the walk up crowd was so large they ended up having to take down the upper deck tarps covering seats.   at that point, waldman, highmark and claggett deemed for real.  that was one hell of a fun team.  spoonball!!! 

5. game in 1980 vs Louisville.   i was in our huge student section (probably 10 of us at most).   we lost by 25 points, but more importantly, when wiley "thumbs up" brown shooting a free throw, one of my fellow students picked his chair up over his head as wiley was handed the ball, sprinted towards the end line screaming like a banschee and wiley airballed the free throw.   i.e. i declare our 1980 student section the most effective student section in billiken history.  dont believe me?   bay area billiken was there.   he can confirm it.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

1. tie conference tourney champs -  miracle in memphis 2000.    brooklyn 2019.   i was there for both.   awesome.   

3. larry hughes entire season.   highlight every night.    took a mediocre team to the ncaa tourney.  dont care what anyone says, he was the greatest billiken player of all time.

4.  siu game at the old arena where the walk up crowd was so large they ended up having to take down the upper deck tarps covering seats.   at that point, waldman, highmark and claggett deemed for real.  that was one hell of a fun team.  spoonball!!! 

5. game in 1980 vs Louisville.   i was in our huge student section (probably 10 of us at most).   we lost by 25 points, but more importantly, when wiley "thumbs up" brown shooting a free throw, one of my fellow students picked his chair up over his head as wiley was handed the ball, sprinted towards the end line screaming like a banschee and wiley airballed the free throw.   i.e. i declare our 1980 student section the most effective student section in billiken history.  dont believe me?   bay area billiken was there.   he can confirm it.  

Insanely jealous of anyone who went to Brooklyn. I was too big of a wimp to pull the trigger on tix.

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

Insanely jealous of anyone who went to Brooklyn. I was too big of a wimp to pull the trigger on tix.

some of my best friends on this message board were going to go earlier in the year.   as the season went along and we began to squander games we should have won, one by one they dropped out.   i probably would have as well, but all the prep work for a week long trip with wife and daughter were already made, we had all put in for vacation already, and of course there were trip plans beyond basketball.   so went and figured we'd watch a game then be the NYC tourists.    instead we only got to do limited tourist stuff as we ended up planning each day around the billikens.   as of now, i will revisit brooklyn in 2021.   everyone should start planning now.  

TheDude likes this

Coaching legend Rick Majerus is hired as the SLU coach.  Bob Ramsey said things will really change at SLU and it did.

Successful coach Charlie Spoonhour was hired as the SLU coach.

Larry Hughes stays home for his brother and signs with SLU.

Watching H Walkman play point guard for 2 years.

Watching Clagget and Highmark score.

Coming back at the pit in New Mexico after being 20 points down at half in the NIT.

My first Billiken game at Kiel auditorium and the seats were on the floor and SLU played Loyola of Chicago.  Pee Wee, Roder, Mimlitz, Ranken, Hudson, Gray and Douglas were on that team.

Beating UMass in the NCAA tournament.

Beating Memphis in the NCAA tournament.

Winning the 2019 A10 conference tournament.

Anthony Bonner signs with SLU, I had hoped for it and it happened.

Winning the last 5 in 2020 and surpassing what was accomplished last season.  

Watching Yuri grow into a terrific guard accomplishing what other posters said he would be.

The play of French and Goodwin 2019 / 2020 these guys were good all season but really special down the stretch.

Jimmy Bell in the Rhode Island game had 13 points disrupted shots and subbed for French the last 6 minutes of the game.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

My favorite all time memory of the Bills is the Clip showing Conklin standing in the middle of the court like a wall while the opponent player bounced off him and fell down like a rag. That is a great image of the Bills in my mind.

That entire Washington game was great. The Bills just throttled the Huskies in that game.

I knew they were going to be good before that game but by halftime I knew we were going to be special.

RiseAndGrind likes this

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

All that have been listed are great so I’ll add a new one.

Marque Perry game winner vs #2 Louisville. I think it’s the only game I’ve been at when the students have rushed the floor.

this louisville game was great.   is on my almost made the list.   i have a framed picture of the floor after the game and after the students flooded the floor with the scoreboard showing the score.   will hang in my mancave as long as i am alive.  

also on that wall is every ticket for the 2000 miracle in memphis season as well as the tickets from memphis along with pictures of justin love with my then 13 year old son and pictures with our family with justin and his parents.    another treasure.    i need to do a framed tickets and pictures for 2019 as well.  

I don't have a specific moment from the era, but the Claggett-Highmark-Waldman teams were the first time I really got into SLU as a kid.

The whole Larry Hughes season for sure.

Losing a heartbreaker to #2 Mizzou the last time we played them, my freshman year. It was gut-wrenching but it was electric until the end and we played like we belonged. We also really felt like a closer team after that. I think this was the best atmosphere until the Dayton game at home this season, and both games ended the same way.

Shocking #2 Louisville at the buzzer at home in February 2003. It was Soderberg's first year and had been a tough one, but that kicked off an 8-game winning streak that lasted into the CUSA tournament in Freedom Hall.

New Year's Eve trip to Dayton at the end of 2003. Great win, crazy trip.

Erasing a 9-point margin in 47 seconds on Senior Day in 2004 to take Houston to OT and win. Fisher airball, Phil Hunt tip.

Seeing a game at Cameron Indoor.

The first half against Washington in 2011. 50-25, absolute dismantling and the crowd was into it. I think that was also the famous Conk screen game. The second half wasn't great but it didn't matter.

Columbus 2012 vs. Memphis and Michigan State.

Sweeping Butler in their one A10 season. The game at Butler was a blast.

The 19-game win streak in 2013-2014. Jordair Jett putting us on his back.

2019 Conference Tournament, I'll never know how that last shot didn't go in. I was 100% sure it would.

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this louisville game was great.   is on my almost made the list.   i have a framed picture of the floor after the game and after the students flooded the floor with the scoreboard showing the score.   will hang in my mancave as long as i am alive.  

Off topic: I've looked for highlights of that Louisville game. Does any know where you can see some? I know the game was highlighted on sportscenter the next day

25 minutes ago, dlarry said:

All that have been listed are great so I’ll add a new one.

Marque Perry game winner vs #2 Louisville. I think it’s the only game I’ve been at when the students have rushed the floor.

This is the first great Billiken moment I can remember. I think it’s when I got hooked for life.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't have a specific moment from the era, but the Claggett-Highmark-Waldman teams were the first time I really got into SLU as a kid.

The whole Larry Hughes season for sure.

Losing a heartbreaker to #2 Mizzou the last time we played them, my freshman year. It was gut-wrenching but it was electric until the end and we played like we belonged. We also really felt like a closer team after that. I think this was the best atmosphere until the Dayton game at home this season, and both games ended the same way.

Shocking #2 Louisville at the buzzer at home in February 2003. It was Soderberg's first year and had been a tough one, but that kicked off an 8-game winning streak that lasted into the CUSA tournament in Freedom Hall.

New Year's Eve trip to Dayton at the end of 2003. Great win, crazy trip.

Erasing a 9-point margin in 47 seconds on Senior Day in 2004 to take Houston to OT and win. Fisher airball, Phil Hunt tip.

Seeing a game at Cameron Indoor.

The first half against Washington in 2011. 50-25, absolute dismantling and the crowd was into it. I think that was also the famous Conk screen game. The second half wasn't great but it didn't matter.

Columbus 2012 vs. Memphis and Michigan State.

Sweeping Butler in their one A10 season. The game at Butler was a blast.

The 19-game win streak in 2013-2014. Jordair Jett putting us on his back.

2019 Conference Tournament, I'll never know how that last shot didn't go in. I was 100% sure it would.

When I re-watched that game on lunch break yesterday the announcers had said the guy that took that shot had not played in the game until the end so I guess he was cold because he was wide open because the Billiken thought they had a steal and could not recover on defense.

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

When I re-watched that game on lunch break yesterday the announcers had said the guy that took that shot had not played in the game until the end so I guess he was cold because he was wide open because the Billiken thought they had a steal and could not recover on defense.

I don't always buy the hot/cold argument, though. I've seen us win games on shots from guys who weren't playing a ton. Ross Varner hit one against Washington at the buzzer once, and I think he came off the bench to do it.

But I'll never forget how I felt when he put that shot up last March. I just went, "Welp, there it is, season over" and then it somehow didn't go in. Everything looked perfect out of his hands.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't always buy the hot/cold argument, though. I've seen us win games on shots from guys who weren't playing a ton. Ross Varner hit one against Washington at the buzzer once, and I think he came off the bench to do it.

But I'll never forget how I felt when he put that shot up last March. I just went, "Welp, there it is, season over" and then it somehow didn't go in. Everything looked perfect out of his hands.

The scoring chance at the rim that rolled off somehow was worse.

29 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Off topic: I've looked for highlights of that Louisville game. Does any know where you can see some? I know the game was highlighted on sportscenter the next day

you only need to see that steal and last play.