Should Senior Athletes Get Extra Year?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coaches-want-the-ncaa-to-allow-senior-basketball-players-to-return-next-season-but-its-a-complicated-issue/

Spring sports athletes have been given an extra year.  Should hoopster's have the same granted?  The link is to an interesting article.  Here are some highlights.

Around 1000 basketball players might be in the scope of an extra year.  The article suggests half might be interested.

What about those players whose season was already over?  The article suggests you shouldn't discard those, let them have the year also.

Who pays for these extra scholarships.  All P5+ schools should be able to handle, but I imagine the budgets for some of the lower level schools are tighter.

What if the coach really doesn't want the senior back?  Maybe he wasn't a significant contributor, or maybe the coach just wants to move on.

Roster sizes would have to expand.  There couldn't be a cap.  

Teams like Texas (and Richmond) had no seniors.  So would they be playing with 13 while others with 15, 18, 19 rosters?  Would that be fair?

So I assume that these seniors would have to be actual students, enrolled in some form of academic program, and remain eligible.  That isn't discussed in the article.

Not discussed is the impact on incoming freshmen.  Playing time would likely be less than with no returnee's.

Would these 5th year seniors be eligible to transfer?  Immediate eligibility at their new school?  Hmmm.

Set up a new rule and see how it impacts a lot of other issues.  This isn't an easy decision.  

I do, selfishly. I really want to see weaver get a chance.  That said, I understand the counter.  Its a tough call.  Im not sure I agree with teams who already lost, that they should get their players back. 

What if seniors get a chance, IF they havent used their 5th year, and can transfer to a school like a GT. Obviously that school needs to have a spot, but there are spots open. And if you suck, so be it. 

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I do, selfishly. I really want to see weaver get a chance.  That said, I understand the counter.  Its a tough call.  Im not sure I agree with teams who already lost, that they should get their players back. 

What if seniors get a chance, IF they havent used their 5th year, and can transfer to a school like a GT. Obviously that school needs to have a spot, but there are spots open. And if you suck, so be it. 

Weave is an interesting case, one we are familiar with. Just play what if, and don't get into numerical or positional player comparisons.  But what if Ford says to Tay, sure you can come back, but your minutes are probably going to Jimerson, Jacobs and Thatch.  

Would Tay be okay with primarily sitting? 

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the season is over.   life dealt a bad break. move on and dont create precedents that the game will regret for generations.   

I agree. Its easier to chalk it up completely and evenly and move on. Players had several years to make the most out of where and how they played. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Weave is an interesting case, one we are familiar with. Just play what if, and don't get into numerical or positional player comparisons.  But what if Ford says to Tay, sure you can come back, but your minutes are probably going to Jimerson, Jacobs and Thatch.  

Would Tay be okay with primarily sitting? 

Yes.

He wanted to play for something meaningful in march. When we got Weaver,  we had a fred that we thought would log a lot of minutes. It was never about Tay and PT.

billiken_roy likes this

I say no. It sucks but if you tore your ACL in the last game of the regular season, you don't get an extra year.

I typically don't give the slightest sh.i.t about the education side of things but also not sure what these kids would do in school if they got an extra year.

Would our seniors even want an extra year? Aren't they both 23 already? Raboin already has plans in the works. Not sure what Weaver's plans are but if you've played ~90% of what you expected to be your final season all along, I understand the finish was unsatisfying but do you really want to spend another entire year chasing an unknown? Especially for guys who can play overseas - if a large chunk of a class stays behind and floods the market a year from now, your opportunities are going to be squeezed.

I wonder if this is being floated because they don't expect a super high rate of players taking them up on it.

Corona Virus Red Shirt.  If it is fair and reasonable to reinstate a year for the seniors, it would only be logical to give every class an additional year.     

I think it is indeed unfortunate, but each conference made thier decision to end the season and that should be the end of it.  

I personally think the conferences who already had their teams on location should have played their conference tournament games without fans.  But they didn't do that.

At this point I am hoping that this virus situation doesn't affect preparation for next season and I hate to even think it might affect the start this fall.

From my Billiken glasses while I appreciated Weaver it's time to move on. His minutes can best be used elsewhere. While I said this at the start of the season and turned out to be wrong ,one of Ford's biggest problems will be finding minutes to go around. 

The problem with giving seniors an extra year is that it isn't a harmless act of generosity like most who are proposing it believe.  As with most thoughts like this, people aren't considering the negatives.  Giving seniors an extra year is detrimental to last year's juniors who should have their year to shine as seniors themselves without competing against the sames guys they were competing for time with last year who are supposed to be gone.  Same with last year's sophomores and freshmen.  Then, what about the incoming freshmen.  Do you just expand rosters to 16?  Who's not getting their chance to see the court, because you gave an entire class of guys another year?

The idea sounds nice, but it's just not fair to the guys who are next up.

I would like to see the NCAA play this year.  Conferences decide if they want a tournament or not.  No games in the more infected states. If so, no fans, home games like NIT but no real concern of home court advantage bc no fans. Start NCAA up on June1st. Just Announcers and TV cameras.  Makes more sense than another year for Seniors  

if not, then no to Seniors next year. Not fair to younger athletes. 

43 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Would our seniors even want an extra year? Aren't they both 23 already? Raboin already has plans in the works. Not sure what Weaver's plans are but if you've played ~90% of what you expected to be your final season all along, I understand the finish was unsatisfying but do you really want to spend another entire year chasing an unknown? Especially for guys who can play overseas - if a large chunk of a class stays behind and floods the market a year from now, your opportunities are going to be squeezed.

I wonder if this is being floated because they don't expect a super high rate of players taking them up on it.

For some reason that was one of my initial thoughts as well. Having been around it, senioritis was a real thing when you and I were around with guys just ready to move on. I am not sure I can think of many who would have wanted another year, just off of the top of my head maybe Sloan could be one.

If this was thought to bring a lot of guys back, I can't imagine this would get much play due to some of the derivative issues this could cause. Like someone mentioned before, recruits pay a lot of attention to the roster they will be joining when making a decision and this could significantly change what they were seeing as their opportunity when they signed up.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/03/13/give-seniors-extra-eligibility-after-coronavirus-took-ncaa-tournament/5045474002/

Here is an interesting read on this subject from Greg Doyle of he Indianapolis Star.  He talks about unintended consequences.

Remember the 5 and 8 rule? 

Unintended consequence. Like the old “five-and-eight” scholarship limits for college basketball, back when jerks like Tim Floyd of Iowa State were over-recruiting every year and solving that problem by running off players already on roster, already on scholarship. To stop schools from doing that — coaches called it “the Tim Floyd rule,” but the problem was more widespread than that — the NCAA mandated in 2001 that schools could sign no more than five players in one year, and eight over a two-year period.

Unintended consequence: Thanks to injuries, transfers and other attrition, within three years almost half the schools in the country — 160 of them, according to the National Association of Basketball Coaches — were unable to use their 13 allowed scholarships because of the five-and-eight restrictions. That led to a rash of college football players being rushed into emergency double-duty. In 2004 the NCAA rescinded the “Tim Fl—” … sorry, the “five-and-eight” rule.

Not hoops, but Carter Chapley has a thoughtful article on spring sports seniors being given an extra year.  There are a lot of interrelated issues to think about.  Mr. Chapley keeps bringing it!

https://carterchapleymedia.com/2020/03/25/granting-spring-athletes-ncaa-eligibility-is-not-as-simple-as-giving-back-years/