Coaching Carousel

28 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

During his playing career Kim English always stuck me as a guy who would go into broadcasting.  I feel like that was always mentioned during games by the broadcasters.  He seemed to be affable and articulate.  Those qualities help with coaching & recruiting as well, but obviously a lot more goes into coaching.

Kudos to George Mason for taking a chance like this instead of going with a guy who has had marginal success at a lower level (Paulsen) or a Power 5 re-tread (Hewitt) since neither of those worked out for them.

English always came across to me as a good guy.  I think he will end up doing a good job at Mason.  It makes sense for them to hire someone that actually came up through the high school and AAU programs in the region.  

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Kruger is one of the best coaches of the last 40 years. Took four different programs to the the Sweet 16, 3 of those to the Elite 8 and two to the Final Four.  As a player he won BIg 8 conference player of the year and played in two Elite Eights.

-and seems like a good guy

On 3/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, courtside said:

Alex Jensen is interviewing for the Utah Head Coaching position. They also have interest in Craig Smith and Johnnie Bryant.

Alex Jensen pulled his name out of the running on Thursday. Johnnie Bryant is still a serious candidate.

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

Pat Kelsey to Charleston? Just a slight move up, although I'm seeing his salary will about double with the move. He's also moving from the outskirts of Charlotte on the SC side to Charleston, which is a much better place to live.

Will Gregg Marshall reemerge at Winthrop?

Everybody loves Shaka the dude but that guy really underachieved at Texas.  You guys realize he went 11-22 with Jarret Allen?  Has a losing conference record, 0-3 in the NCAA. Blew 14 point lead vs Nevada got beat by UNI and embarrassed by Abilene Christian who only shot 29% but still won?  3 NBA caliber players on this year's team couldn't beat ACU.

I'm hoping for Beard but rumor is he has a huge buy out clause that is higher specifically for Texas.  But Marquette hiring Smart saves $7.5mil

Other names:

Altman (current UT AD is a west coast guy prior to his time at TCU) Altman wins in March 

Musselman (buy out again as he is only a year in at Arkansas)

Another from left field is Royal Ivey, Texas alum, former NBA current NBA assistant but no HC experience 

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Everybody loves Shaka the dude but that guy really underachieved at Texas.  You guys realize he went 11-22 with Jarret Allen?  Has a losing conference record, 0-3 in the NCAA. Blew 14 point lead vs Nevada got beat by UNI and embarrassed by Abilene Christian who only shot 29% but still won?  3 NBA caliber players on this year's team couldn't beat ACU.

I'm hoping for Beard but rumor is he has a huge buy out clause that is higher specifically for Texas.  But Marquette hiring Smart saves $7.5mil

Other names:

Altman (current UT AD is a west coast guy prior to his time at TCU) Altman wins in March 

Musselman (buy out again as he is only a year in at Arkansas)

Another from left field is Royal Ivey, Texas alum, former NBA current NBA assistant but no HC experience 

Good points about Smart. Would you trade him for Travis Ford as a head coach? 

Shaka is an interesting case study. His supporters will point out their stats that would make a change of scenery appealing. Can he win at high levels? Maybe yes maybe no. 

Gates, Moser, Beilein were the other names most discussed there.

Pros for Shaka were 6 different top 20 recruiting classes at Texas, many top 10. Top 40 defense every year. Played various styles and tempos. Hired Luke Yaklich. His NCAA losses were by very small margins, OT, etc...very tough league. 

The flip side of course, no regular season league titles, NCAA Tourney Results were not there. He didn’t do enough at Texas. But he has appeal for some who think he can put it together in a different fit.  It’s more of a “safe” hire than Gates. Moser was a serious candidate there as well.

As for Texas, I don’t see Musselman or Altman as realistic candidates. Beard maybe.

15 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Good points about Smart. Would you trade him for Travis Ford as a head coach? 

11 minutes ago, courtside said:

As for Texas, I don’t see Musselman or Altman as realistic candidates. Beard maybe.

Texas and SLU this year were very similar in many ways. Both had very athletic rosters both started hot then were different after a COVID pause.  In both cases it's hard to put your finger on just what is wrong with the team.  But to answer the question,  I'd take Smart over Ford.  Smart has a final 4 at VCU,  better win % in B12 and B12 tournament championship. 

As for who's a fit at Texas...AD Chris Del Conte has made some good moves.  The new women's coach is great so far, Sarkisian is doing all the right things so far too.  Beard is a Texas graduate.   But I wouldn't rule out some one not on the radar.  I was just passing on names from Texas Rivals board. 

3 high level programs looking for coaches UT, IU and OU.  All have good resources and UT will have a new arena in 2 years.   It's going to be interesting. 

One of the things that may help Smart Marquette has 3 core young players coming back. Shaka would have a better chance than some selling them/keeping them, instead of losing them and having a bigger rebuild. 

Smart clearly recruits at very high levels, has USA basketball connections, coaches defense well. Two third place finishes and a 4th place finish in six years in Big 12 isn't awful. He didn't close games in NCAA's. He's only 43 with a lot of experience. If a few things go his way, he can have some success there. Expectations will be high but reasonable. The admin was pressured to fire Wojo, who was well liked but didn't win enough. And his coaching wasn't considered great. Recruiting was good. So they figure Shaka can recruit just as well but perhaps coach a bit better. 

Texas will get plenty of interest. But I don't see a Musselman, Oats, Altman types etc...leaving their situations. 

3 hours ago, courtside said:

Shaka is an interesting case study. His supporters will point out their stats that would make a change of scenery appealing. Can he win at high levels? Maybe yes maybe no. 

Gates, Moser, Beilein were the other names most discussed there.

Pros for Shaka were 6 different top 20 recruiting classes at Texas, many top 10. Top 40 defense every year. Played various styles and tempos. Hired Luke Yaklich. His NCAA losses were by very small margins, OT, etc...very tough league. 

The flip side of course, no regular season league titles, NCAA Tourney Results were not there. He didn’t do enough at Texas. But he has appeal for some who think he can put it together in a different fit.  It’s more of a “safe” hire than Gates. Moser was a serious candidate there as well.

Rick Barnes had his share of excellent recruiting classes at Texas and never cut down the nets either. There were a few Vols fans unhappy with their record this year with 3 5 Stars on the roster. They were an up and down team, but I think CRB will retire as UT HC.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Texas will get plenty of interest. But I don't see a Musselman, Oats, Altman types etc...leaving their situations. 

Texas can pay more, new arena opening up, biggest Nike contract of any school (by a lot), In between 2 huge metroplexes (DFW, Houston), its' own TV channel and all in the coolest city on the planet.  Lots of reasons to jump to Texas. 

Shaka was making $3.5mil/year

I'm reading from reliable UT media types that Beard is #1 target his buy out will be $4mil on 1 April and he makes $5mil/yr at TTU.  So he'd make more at Texas and be paid more than the football coach.

Same journalist, Chip Brown, Horns247 says don't sleep on Altman.  He makes $3.4mil/yr at Oregon.

Brown also says K. Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge are pushing Royal Ivey to be Texas' Juwon Howard.

Just now, Schasz said:

Rick Barnes had his share of excellent recruiting classes at Texas and never cut down the nets either. There were a few Vols fans unhappy with their record this year with 3 5 Stars on the roster. They were an up and down team, but I think CRB will retire as UT HC.

Barnes was inconsistent but at least he had a Final Four in 2003.  He did have Tenn ranked #1 for a stretch but this year was a disappointment. 

Problem with Texas is they have become Big Man U.  Their guards are always second rate.  They have tons of Center and PF talent but you can't win in the NCAAs with big men.  Jarrett Allen is going to take you to the final four?  C'mon, he's a shot blocking, rim runner who can't handle or shoot.  How does that win you games in the tournament.

Shaka's Havoc would never play at a big time school.  The top level personnel would get in the way.  He can go to marquette and recruit top 150 guys who will play his system and win vs top 50 guys who he has to cater to.

I'd take Smart over Ford in a heartbeat.

billiken_roy and Schasz like this

Shaka was an awesome mid-major coach. Until this season, he was horrible at Texas.

He took over a perennial NCAA program and and damn near drove it into the ditch.  It's hard to finish below .500 in the Big 12 when over half of your rotation consists of top 50 players but somehow he managed it three seasons in a row.  Then he pulled a rabbit out of the hat this year and appeared to save his job.  Unfortunately, Shaka put himself right back on the hot seat with a tournament loss to an in-state team that did not have one player who would even make the roster at Texas.

The Big East is not what it was.  Maybe he can make it work there.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Shaka was an awesome mid-major coach. Until this season, he was horrible at Texas.

He took over a perennial NCAA program and and damn near drove it into the ditch.  It's hard to finish below .500 when over half of your rotation consists of top 50 players but somehow he managed it three seasons in a row.  Then he pulled a rabbit out of the hat this year and appeared to save his job.  Unfortunately, Shaka put himself right back on the hot seat with a tournament loss to an in-state team that did not have one player who would even make make the roster at Texas.

The Big East is not what it was.  Maybe he can make it work there.

The Big East had a down year but I wouldn’t degrade it too much. 

I just remember VCU had a 4 point lead, only seconds remaining, against S.F. Austin, guy puts up a 3 pointer for SFA, VCU fouls him , makes the 3 then the free throw , tie game.  SFA wins in OT

13 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

I just remember VCU had a 4 point lead, only seconds remaining, against S.F. Austin, guy puts up a 3 pointer for SFA, VCU fouls him , makes the 3 then the free throw , tie game.  SFA wins in OT

Yep. And that win helped propel Brad Underwood onto the national stage. Funny how things work out. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

The Big East had a down year but I wouldn’t degrade it too much. 

Don’t believe he did.   But X, Butler, Marquette., Seton Hall... have been only average. Not seeing the old Jim Calhoun UConn, Lou C Johnnies, old man John Thompson Hoyas... 

Never thought I’d ever say it, but the SEC is a better basketball conference than the Big XII. KU and Texas were usually the best. Oklahoma also was really good.  Then Mizzou and K-State had their turn. In contrast, Kentucky dominated the SEC - except for some Florida teams.  Not anymore.
LSU, UT, Auburnn, Arkansas, Mizzou and now Alabama have stepped up. Why would Oats leave Bama for Texas and the Big XII?  Answer:  he wouldn’t