Coaching Carousel

Those seem like better options than names previously linked to the Fordham opening. Anyone with Villanova DNA would be intriguing to me.

Grasso might be a bit of a nut, but fun to have in the conference. As someone who watches recruiting closely, Bryant offers more players than any other program. Currently, VerbalCommits shows them as having 39 open offers for 2021, 141 offers to the 2022 class, and 51 offers to 2023. Grasso throws out a big net. His philosophy is basically offer anyone he thinks is worthy. I'm not sure how he zeroes in on players from there, but maybe this approach would work at Fordham.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be leery of Fordham if I was an up and coming coach. It seems like it's a place where careers go to die. Until that school starts throwing around it's muscle, ie dollars for facility upgrades, I can't see where they're an attractive landing spot. If Fordham was really serious about their program, they would have offered the job to Pitino last year. I think he would have jumped at it, as he was desperate to return to the states. He might not have stayed after a successful run, but at least he would have brought them some respectability. Cough ...... cough.... assumes the word respectability can be used in the same sentence with the name Pitino. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Those seem like better options than names previously linked to the Fordham opening. Anyone with Villanova DNA would be intriguing to me.

Totally agree. Either would be a very encouraging hires in terms of the direction of the Fordham program.

Looks like Otzelberger will be leaving UNLV for Iowa State. Good article from the LV Sun on how schools have to also consider buyouts when considering a new coach. Interesting, Pitino has a 10 mil buyout penalty if he leaves Iona. Smart Iona move.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/mar/18/potential-otzelberger-replacements-as-unlv-begins/?fbclid=IwAR2zuBzskOcy_cpAs2ntPGIkpFy0Uf3YQRzgIwKzR473k2N9WkaruRvLOJg

55 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'd be leery of Fordham if I was an up and coming coach. It seems like it's a place where careers go to die. Until that school starts throwing around it's muscle, ie dollars for facility upgrades, I can't see where they're an attractive landing spot. If Fordham was really serious about their program, they would have offered the job to Pitino last year. I think he would have jumped at it, as he was desperate to return to the states. He might not have stayed after a successful run, but at least he would have brought them some respectability. Cough ...... cough.... assumes the word respectability can be used in the same sentence with the name Pitino. 

I think your right. I be a lttle leery on taking the Fordham job.

I always thought Dereck Whittenberg was a pretty good coach for Fordham. He probably was the last one to give Fordham a better than .500 A10 record in several seasons. Fordham fires him, now have a revolving door of failed coaches. The best Whittenberg can get is Assoc AD job at his alma mater NC State. No doubt a big hit on a HC salary.

15 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Looks like Otzelberger will be leaving UNLV for Iowa State. Good article from the LV Sun on how schools have to also consider buyouts when considering a new coach. Interesting, Pitino has a 10 mil buyout penalty if he leaves Iona. Smart Iona move.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/mar/18/potential-otzelberger-replacements-as-unlv-begins/?fbclid=IwAR2zuBzskOcy_cpAs2ntPGIkpFy0Uf3YQRzgIwKzR473k2N9WkaruRvLOJg

Iona was smart to build in penalties if Patino leaves. Of course the 10 mil is a lot but the real stickler would be the clause that states the hookers stay at Iona. Plus the no hooker at his next job clause. 

A little OT, but I wouldn't exactly object to Ford taking advantage of the coaching carousel to bolster his staff. The Ford Stuen promotion seemed OK given the circumstances (Covid), but he just doesn't bring the same experience or presence as a Van Macon or Will Bailey - guys that can fill a mentor role. Or alternatively, Michael Wilson was promoted to Head of Basketball Operations in '19-'20. Again, fine. But makes me think of Barry Hinson being head of Basketball Operations at Kansas and how that role can be used somewhat creatively to bring in additional experience/expertise. 

Not to pick on those guys or that they don't work hard or anything. Just seems like there could be an opportunity to shake things up a bit and add some resources on the staff side. 

45 minutes ago, almaman said:

wonder what % of coaching hours will now have to be devoted to the likely triple figure transfer portal prospects?

I could see some programs, especially in football, adding something similar to a general manager to sort through all these players.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I could see some programs, especially in football, adding something similar to a general manager to sort through all these players.

Vanderbilt just hired Barton Simmons as exactly that, a “general manager”. Barton Simmons previously worked as a recruiting analyst at 247 sports where his job was basically to sort through all these recruits and transfers. So I think you’re definitely on to something 

NCAA football calls the extra coaches “analysts” and they coach the coaches as they are not allowed on the field to with the players. Instead, they watch from above, from their own practice film and game film and by scouting other teams. 

8 hours ago, NH said:

Vanderbilt just hired Barton Simmons as exactly that, a “general manager”. Barton Simmons previously worked as a recruiting analyst at 247 sports where his job was basically to sort through all these recruits and transfers. So I think you’re definitely on to something 

Clark Lea's initial staff is good. It didn't hurt that he and Simmons were childhood friends. Simmons was a pretty good football player at Yale.

We have seen this in hoops too. Corey Evans was hired by the Oklahoma City Thunder from Rivals. Dave Telep was hired by San Antonio Spurs etc...