Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, willie said:

Self is dirty. He's not going to Duke. I know many on here disagree but I'm not sure he lasts at Kansas. 

-is Duke clean?

-I would enjoy Duke, UNC, KU, UK, IU all coming down in stature and remain down, probably some others I could add to that list (like the rest of the B10)

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-is Duke clean?

-I would enjoy Duke, UNC, KU, UK, IU all coming down in stature and remain down, probably some others I could add to that list (like the rest of the B10)

Probably not but they haven't been caught. 

42 minutes ago, willie said:

Self is dirty. He's not going to Duke. I know many on here disagree but I'm not sure he lasts at Kansas. 

dont disagree with you but K is dirty as well.  his alliances with the carolina big businesses giving unqualified and undeserved jobs to parents of players is well known.   and how many times did we hear pretty q snyder say in his mi$$ouri days when he would get caught with his hand in the rulebook "at duke we did it all the time".  

following K wont be a welcome job and is a loser in all likelihood for anyone.    i sure wouldnt jump at it if i was an established coach.    i am betting an assistant will get it.   i wouldnt doubt if any established coaches they would have considered has already been contacted and asked about possible interest and duke has been turned down

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Duke seems like a great spot for Bill Self, and the timing couldn't be better.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

following K wont be a welcome job and is a loser in all likelihood for anyone.    i sure wouldnt jump at it if i was an established coach.    i am betting an assistant will get it.   i wouldnt doubt if any established coaches they would have considered has already been contacted and asked about possible interest and duke has been turned down

Jon Scheyer was named the coach-in-waiting, and will become head coach upon K's retirement. @billiken_royis likely right, as it was reported Duke already explored external candidates, but landed on Scheyer.

38 minutes ago, willie said:

Probably not but they haven't been caught. 

This is the NCAA we're talking about here.  Selective enforcement has long been the order of the day.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/6/10/21286608/zion-williamson-duke-blue-devils-news-college-basketball-coach-k-business

Before attending Duke, Zion and his family lived in a rental property in South Carolina, valued at roughly $153,000, renting for about $895 per month. While attending Duke, Zion and his family lived in a property valued at roughly $950,000 and rent was $4,995.00 per month.

Ford also points to three luxury vehicles owned by Zion’s step-father and mother as means to justify discovery to “determine if these vehicles would have impacted his eligibility to be/remain a student-athlete.”

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

This is the NCAA we're talking about here.  Selective enforcement has long been the order of the day.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/6/10/21286608/zion-williamson-duke-blue-devils-news-college-basketball-coach-k-business

Before attending Duke, Zion and his family lived in a rental property in South Carolina, valued at roughly $153,000, renting for about $895 per month. While attending Duke, Zion and his family lived in a property valued at roughly $950,000 and rent was $4,995.00 per month.

Ford also points to three luxury vehicles owned by Zion’s step-father and mother as means to justify discovery to “determine if these vehicles would have impacted his eligibility to be/remain a student-athlete.”

No argument from me. 

16 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I almost came out of my shoes reading this. Almost.

someoneelse likes this

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

I almost came out of my shoes reading this. Almost.

No wonder coach K is retiring the walls are closing in on him with this type of behavior.

I believe in sportsmanship and pride in yourself of accomplishing things by not cheating.

I know it’s about money for these types of coaches.

All of us could make more money if we did not care what we did to make it.  Coach K is in this group.

what particularly irks me about K is the fact back in the 80's he was perceived to be such a coach of high integrity.  wouldnt hang banners till every player had a degree, always recruiting with integrity, etc.   now you read stories about cars, houses, crazy jobs for parents, etc.   he is no better than any of the scums that have been blackballed by the ncaa but somehow the likes of him, roy williams, bill self always seem to escape everything.  

thatskablamo and dennis_w like this

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what particularly irks me about K is the fact back in the 80's he was perceived to be such a coach of high integrity.  wouldnt hang banners till every player had a degree, always recruiting with integrity, etc.   now you read stories about cars, houses, crazy jobs for parents, etc.   he is no better than any of the scums that have been blackballed by the ncaa but somehow the likes of him, roy williams, bill self always seem to escape everything.  

He got tired of finishing second.

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

That was a different Elton Brand of basketball, Roy. 

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to understand who does what .... assume Tate is the #2 guy behind Ford with Giacoletti #3.  Stuen was #4 but the next three guys did not have "coach" in their title and neither does this guy.  So are we still short a coach in light of Stuen's untimely passing?  And where on the totem pole does this guy fall?  Is he behind Wilson, Nunez and Maruggi or inserted somewhere in between them?  I'll assume he doesn't do any recruiting, right?  Basically a trainee.

No need to assume. Tate has the Associate Head Coach title.

Teams are allowed 3 recruiting assistants - the AHC and two AC's. For us, that's Giacoletti and whoever is hired/promoted to replace Stuen.

Then we have the rest of the staff - Michael Wilson is DBO, Christian Nunez is Director of Player Development, and Eddie Maruggi is the Graduate Student Manager, which I think Ford uses as the grad assistant title. Dziagwa was just hired as another one of those.

So right now, that's a 7-man staff that could be 8 if we make another external hire. Two seasons ago, we had a 10-man staff - no AHC and Bailey, Tate, and Stuen were the assistants, Giacoletti was Assistant to the Head Coach, Wilson DBO, David Pavlakovich was Video & Analytics Coordinator, and we had three Graduate Student Managers - Nunez, Chris Lowe, and Nathan Wright.

What's interesting to me is how few external hires we've made to replace guys who have left. Bailey moved on, Giacoletti took the third AC job and Tate got the AHC title. Nunez transitioned from GSM to DPD. Pavlakovich, Lowe, and Wright left, and only Maruggi was brought on.

We had 9 the year before, when Macon was AHC and Tifft was the Assistant to the HC. Stuen was DPD and Wilson had another title. Forte and Lowe were the GSMs.

I had this conversation with @TheChosenOne offline and we were speculating what Ford's ideal staff would look like in terms of size and positions.

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I had this conversation with @TheChosenOne offline and we were speculating what Ford's ideal staff would look like in terms of size and positions.

I find this to be a really interesting topic and something I have a bit of concern with recently. Obviously, it's hard to discuss the coaching staff without first thinking of the tragedy with Ford Stuen and the emotional impact that's probably having throughout the AD.

It does concern me that for back to back years our staff will likely be smaller and less well-resourced than it was when Ford first arrived. We lost two assistant coaches to Power 5 schools and replaced them with internal hires. My guess is that our assistant coaching budget was noticeably lower before and after we lost Bailey/Macon. I hope that Travis has ample resources to hire an experienced assistant, if that's the direction he decides is best. 

It would also make me feel a little better if our support staff was a little more robust and we hired another full time member in a Director of Recruiting or Assistant to the Head Coach type role. With the transfer portal being as hectic as it is, I think it helps to have more resources on the staff to sort through that mess.

And then I was glad to see this most recent of a new grad assistant. I would love to see some recent SLU alums get back on the staff. It feels like it's been awhile since we've had a former Billiken get into college coaching and a grad assistant role would be a great way to do that and help out with player development.

I think it's most important to add an assistant with East Coast recruiting connections. We are in an East Coast league. Bailey and especially Macon opened some doors. Ford understands this. He mentioned it when he was hired and assembled his initial staff.

48 minutes ago, NH said:

I find this to be a really interesting topic and something I have a bit of concern with recently. Obviously, it's hard to discuss the coaching staff without first thinking of the tragedy with Ford Stuen and the emotional impact that's probably having throughout the AD.

It does concern me that for back to back years our staff will likely be smaller and less well-resourced than it was when Ford first arrived. We lost two assistant coaches to Power 5 schools and replaced them with internal hires. My guess is that our assistant coaching budget was noticeably lower before and after we lost Bailey/Macon. I hope that Travis has ample resources to hire an experienced assistant, if that's the direction he decides is best. 

It would also make me feel a little better if our support staff was a little more robust and we hired another full time member in a Director of Recruiting or Assistant to the Head Coach type role. With the transfer portal being as hectic as it is, I think it helps to have more resources on the staff to sort through that mess.

And then I was glad to see this most recent of a new grad assistant. I would love to see some recent SLU alums get back on the staff. It feels like it's been awhile since we've had a former Billiken get into college coaching and a grad assistant role would be a great way to do that and help out with player development.

I don't necessarily think we need 9-10 people on the staff. Usually when it was that high, we had 2-3 grad assistants, or Graduate Student Managers to use their official titles.

I do wonder about how we create a position like Video & Analytics Coordinator and then it wasn't reestablished after David Pavlakovich left. Director of Recruiting would be another one along this line, like maybe a more junior internal position for a recent grad but very useful for coordinating efforts among the staff.

Assistant to the Head Coach seems like something that has come and gone, and also strikes me as kind of an opportunistic position - we're staffed up but someone is available who Ford wants to hire and stash.

So basically I agree with your premise, and I also wonder how much of this had to do with hiring/budget freezes during the pandemic semesters, and what staff size/makeup Ford sees as optimal.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't necessarily think we need 9-10 people on the staff. Usually when it was that high, we had 2-3 grad assistants, or Graduate Student Managers to use their official titles.

I do wonder about how we create a position like Video & Analytics Coordinator and then it wasn't reestablished after David Pavlakovich left. Director of Recruiting would be another one along this line, like maybe a more junior internal position for a recent grad but very useful for coordinating efforts among the staff.

Assistant to the Head Coach seems like something that has come and gone, and also strikes me as kind of an opportunistic position - we're staffed up but someone is available who Ford wants to hire and stash.

So basically I agree with your premise, and I also wonder how much of this had to do with hiring/budget freezes during the pandemic semesters, and what staff size/makeup Ford sees as optimal.

Agreed with all of that. I don't know enough about the roles that each of the members of the staff plays to have a really strong take on what types of positions we need to be filling exactly. For instance I think it's likely that Michael Wilson already does some of what I would envision a "Director of Recruiting" does at many other schools. I just think it's a little concerning that we went from a big staff with very experienced assistants to a smaller staff with presumably a much lower assistant salary pool. I like everyone we do have on staff and I trust that Travis knows what he needs, I just hope we have the resources to compete with the program's we all think we should be on a level playing field with. 

Pistol likes this

I'm not sure why there is a feeling that we aren't paying our staff.

If anything we have a more experienced group than we had previously.

Tate makes a very high salary.  He was getting 155k at Mizzou and I would assume he is closer to 250k now.  Giacoletti as a former D-1 HC should be pushing 200k as well or higher.  They are certainly making more than Bailey and Macon were.  

As far as the video coordinator, didn't we have two managers who were pro video guys?  Couldn't we drop that position so they can do it for one year to save money.  Hopefully they hire those guys in some capacity, or hire a replacement.

I could see us cutting a position because our two top ACs are more top heavy in salary than before.

I don't if we need to hire an outsider for the last spot either.  Nunez fits the bill of an east coast recruiter.  I think Ford developing coaches makes good sense at a mid major that can't compete on sarly with BCS schools.

BilliesBy40 and Pistol like this

Video Coordinator could be a Grad Assistant, that's how Chris Beard got his start under Tom Penders.

I saw Chris Beard at the NCAA Austin Super Regionals last night.