Coaching Carousel

10 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I will continue to disagree.  Unless the movement affects SLU directly, I don't really see the meaning of the fact that School X has done this to its coaching bench or who is getting paid what.  My concern would be how that affects SLU.  It doesn't.  That is for the assistants.  I always thought the 'Coaching Carousel' was centered on head coaches getting fired, hired and moving on and how that might affect Travis Ford, Corey Tate, Ford Stuen, Will Bailey, Alex Jensen, and so on.  In addition, what new coaches would be entering the A10 at Fordham, Mason and so on.   National news counts too, like the Pitinos, which started this thread to begin with.  

My dual post on Lloyd was simple ---- the information provided by courtside was wrong.  That's all.

I bet 80% of the HC firings/hirings in this thread do not affect SLU/Ford, but you are taking umbrage with UI asst. coaching news on Page 25 which actually —does— affect us. Good job.

BilliesBy40 likes this

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, Taj79 said:

My initial reaction was WTF cares (Who instead of What).  Now, that might be trolling but please accept my plea for ignorance.  I am all ears (and eyes):  explain to me why Saint Louis U. fans care about Coleman, Justus, Bruno, and anyone else you spit out there and what does their movement matter in Billiken circles.  Please feel free to answer and then reply to yourself five or six more times.  Remember: Lloyd has it in writing that he’ll take over for Few so you can leave that explanation out.

Anybody else find it funny that 2 guys who have posted on this board over 36000 times combined have the gall to complain about what someone else posts?  Especially when Courtside's posts are actually informational and not some crackpot opinions from the couch or holier than thou posts on the way things ought to be.

@mojo -- look, I'm willing to listen.  Explain to me how the hiring/retaining of an assistant coach at Illinois "affects" us.  Because he recruits against us?  Couldn't that be said of every assistant/recruiter in the nation?  If so, I'm going to need updates on like 354 coaching staffs and their hires from here on out.  

49 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@mojo -- look, I'm willing to listen.  Explain to me how the hiring/retaining of an assistant coach at Illinois "affects" us.  Because he recruits against us?  Couldn't that be said of every assistant/recruiter in the nation?  If so, I'm going to need updates on like 354 coaching staffs and their hires from here on out.  

.....Look, I'm willing to listen. Explain to me how the hiring/retaining of Tommy Lloyd at Gonzaga vs going to Arizona, "affects" SLU. Because he recruits against SLU? Couldn't that be said of every assistant/recruiter in the nation? If so, I'm gonna need updates on like 354 coaching staffs, and their hires, from here on out. .....

What you want in your hypocritical posting, is attention. This is why a previous poster mentioned that you apparently start a new thread after SLU Men's basketball games, instead of simply posting in the existing ones. Just start a new thread saying you want and need attention if you have little to say or contribute to the existing threads. It would go a lot faster, and allow others to read and post in specific threads about specific thread topics.

This is the Coaching Carousel thread, which as you posted multiple times, is not limited to the parochial, provincial, mindset. Maybe SLU should leave the A-10 for a Simon Rec League. That would help limit geography more.

Wait until we begin discussing the NCAA Women's Coaching Carousel. Adia Barnes' new raise at Arizona (since U of A interests you), Shea Ralph on the move from UConn, as well as Marisa Moseley, to Lisa Stone's old stomping grounds,  others. 

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

If a player is a consensus 4 star recruit and lives in southern Illinois, chances are the Illini and Billikens are competing for that player.  In recent years that's included Jeremiah Tilmon, EJ Liddell and Jordan Goodwin.  That's the connection.  Otherwise, yes, I agree there's barely any overlap in Illini and Billiken recruiting.

majerus mojo likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

If a player is a consensus 4 star recruit and lives in southern Illinois, chances are the Illini and Billikens are competing for that player.  In recent years that's included Jeremiah Tilmon, EJ Liddell and Jordan Goodwin.  That's the connection.  Otherwise, yes, I agree there's barely any overlap in Illini and Billiken recruiting.

Well also Nesbitt. We were both among his finalists.

It’s really annoying to click on a thread called “Coaching Carousel” and have to read a bunch of posts about “how is this relevant to SLU?”

Its relevant because it’s the carousel. It’s relevant to every school in D1. 

Enough with the inferiority complex when someone brings up UIUC or Marquette or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I find the coaching carousel thread very interesting, even if it doesn’t relate to SLU. It’s a nice consolidated place to discuss the hirings and firings of head coaches and assistants. Do they all have a direct and immediate impact on SLU? Probably not. That doesn’t make it any less interesting. If you don’t want to read it, just keep scrolling. It’s really not that hard. But how about this, if it will help to unbunch your panties, would it help if 1 of the mods adds “OT” in front of the name of this thread, so you know when you click on it that it won’t be entirely SLU related?

billikenbill likes this

I agree 310/JMM that a 'Coaching Carousel' thread is relevant to SLU in that hirings have a domino affect that could ultimately affect us.  Mostly in a sense that it could lead to Travis Ford's departure.  Those dominoes would have to fall perfectly right now to affect us in such a way that the negative outcome is the loss of the head coach.  Ain't gonna happen right now. 

I also agree that such movement among assistant coaches could affect us providing the names are Tate, Giacoletti and/or Stuen.  We've seen that before in Harriman, Jensen, Biancardi, Bennett, Bailey, Whitesell and so on.  That's when I want to know about assistants.  The largest question facing our bench right now is Coach Stuen's health.  I hope he recovers but more so for his family and young kids than for anything Billiken.  Secondary or even tertiary or further removed from that is the fact that Coach Stuen is, I think, our primary recruiter outside of Tate's local focus.  Not important in the grand scheme of current things but truly relevant.  

As for Orlando Antigua and Illinois, I don't see the issue.  Illinois, irrespective of who their head recruiter is, will always be in competition for talented kids like Tilmon, the Liddell s, Lisch, Nesbitt, Goodwin, Hargrove and the like.  They'd be fools not to.  They are likely the most successful program local to the SLU area.  They will target talent as we do.  At one point, we listed both Dosunmu and Cockburn as recruiting targets and offered both as I recall.  Illinois offered Goodwin and Hargrove.  Win some, lose some.  For the next two classes, the only kid I see on both recruiting lists is Tarris Reed Jr.  

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I agree 310/JMM that a 'Coaching Carousel' thread is relevant to SLU in that hirings have a domino affect that could ultimately affect us.  Mostly in a sense that it could lead to Travis Ford's departure.  Those dominoes would have to fall perfectly right now to affect us in such a way that the negative outcome is the loss of the head coach.  Ain't gonna happen right now. 

I also agree that such movement among assistant coaches could affect us providing the names are Tate, Giacoletti and/or Stuen.  We've seen that before in Harriman, Jensen, Biancardi, Bennett, Bailey, Whitesell and so on.  That's when I want to know about assistants.  The largest question facing our bench right now is Coach Stuen's health.  I hope he recovers but more so for his family and young kids than for anything Billiken.  Secondary or even tertiary or further removed from that is the fact that Coach Stuen is, I think, our primary recruiter outside of Tate's local focus.  Not important in the grand scheme of current things but truly relevant.  

As for Orlando Antigua and Illinois, I don't see the issue.  Illinois, irrespective of who their head recruiter is, will always be in competition for talented kids like Tilmon, the Liddell s, Lisch, Nesbitt, Goodwin, Hargrove and the like.  They'd be fools not to.  They are likely the most successful program local to the SLU area.  They will target talent as we do.  At one point, we listed both Dosunmu and Cockburn as recruiting targets and offered both as I recall.  Illinois offered Goodwin and Hargrove.  Win some, lose some.  For the next two classes, the only kid I see on both recruiting lists is Tarris Reed Jr.  

I don’t know why you’re coming to the Coaching Carousel thread hoping to only read information that directly pertains to SLU. I never have. I consider this a college basketball thread more than a SLU Billikens thread, which is why I suggested putting OT in the name of the thread so there’s no longer any confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, courtside said:

Notre Dame is hiring Dayton Associate Head Coach Anthony Solomon to the same position. He is a former ND assistant during their recent back to back NCAA Elite 8 run. It’s his 3rd time as an ND assistant. 

Someone to cool the seat when it eventually gets too hot for Mike Brey? I don’t think there’s a hotter seat in the country than his, which I’m sure makes Billy Gillespie smile. 

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

News Flash:  Orlando Antigua to Kentucky.  As well as Ron Coleman.  Is Underwood devastated or what?

My first impression was . . . ooh, that's gonna hurt.  But if the Illinois kids they were getting don't go to Kentucky, maybe not so much locally.  Illinois is still the best program in the state.  Where it hurts them most is on the east coast   Antigua's roots were there.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

My first impression was . . . ooh, that's gonna hurt.  But if the Illinois kids they were getting don't go to Kentucky, maybe not so much locally.  Illinois is still the best program in the state.  Where it hurts them most is on the east coast   Antigua's roots were there.

And/or the Caribbean - three of Illini 2020-2021 roster had either PR or Jamaican roots. 

BO brought back Chester Frazier into the Champaign Room, so I’m sure they’ll be fine. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not for this season, but big news for next year.

The guys who replaced first ballot Hall of Famers have had missed results.  It could be a bumpy transition period at UNC and Duke.  And the Kentucky faithful are starting to turn on Cal.  This level of uncertainty at the blue bloods has not existed in our lifetimes.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Wonder if they would consider Quinn Snyder and if Snyder would considering coming back to college from the NBA?

I'm generally skeptical that NBA coaches want to do this, especially when they're finding success. It's usually less money and then you add the NCAA's weird rulebook on top of it.

Stevens would be nuts to leave an NBA front office - which we found out this morning he'd be doing - to take a high-pressure college coaching job.

billiken_roy likes this

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm generally skeptical that NBA coaches want to do this, especially when they're finding success. It's usually less money and then you add the NCAA's weird rulebook on top of it.

Stevens would be nuts to leave an NBA front office - which we found out this morning he'd be doing - to take a high-pressure college coaching job.

I disagree. You only live once. Why sit in a desk when you can be on the front line? There is some part of a career which involves actually living. I mean, when Ford retires or moves on, Stevens would make a good Billiken: the more sophisticated blue devil.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The guys who replaced first ballot Hall of Famers have had missed results.  It could be a bumpy transition period at UNC and Duke.  And the Kentucky faithful are starting to turn on Cal.  This level of uncertainty at the blue bloods has not existed in our lifetimes.

Completely agree - remember how Ray Perkins and Bill Curry were run out on a rail in Tuscaloosa because they weren’t Bear? 

Bill Gutherie probably the one exception (but he had Dean’s recruits).

Even having great W-L Records in Westwood post-Wooden for Bartow and Cunningham wasn’t enough to keep a seat on the bench.

if i had the success stevens had, and now was granted the keys to the castle of Celticworld, no way i go back to coaching.   dealing with the pro ego's or dealing with recruiting cant be high on the list of want to do's for the rest of one's life.   

brianstl likes this