Coaching Carousel

1 hour ago, courtside said:

I was just having a conversation with someone about this hire. My first reaction is good hire, theirs was bad hire. We'll see. It may or may not work out, byt I think it is worth a try. Miller isn't the only future UNC candidate, so it may not ever be a future possibility for him. 

Miller clearly waited for the UNC position. He didn't get it, so he wisely is leaving to elevate his profile as well as the perks that go with that. UC is a good basketball job. 

Mick Cronin did well there except one thing, albeit an important thing. Cronin didn't mix in deeper NCAA Tourney runs with his annual consistent success there. (And that matters)

You say that UNC may not ever be a future possibility for him.  I disagree.  If he has the type of success the UC is hoping for then I'd certainly think that he'll be a top candidate for the UNC job in the future and UNC will go after him.  That is why I think it is curious, if it ends up being a good hire, it drastically increases the chances you lose him to UNC.  UC obviously hopes Miller to has a wild amount of success, so they also must hope that Hubert Davis has a ton of success at UNC & sticks around well past retirement age and/or another possible UNC candidate like Stackhouse is more successful than Miller.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You say that UNC may not ever be a future possibility for him.  I disagree.  If he has the type of success the UC is hoping for then I'd certainly think that he'll be a top candidate for the UNC job in the future and UNC will go after him.  That is why I think it is curious, if it ends up being a good hire, it drastically increases the chances you lose him to UNC.  UC obviously hopes Miller to has a wild amount of success, so they also must hope that Hubert Davis has a ton of success at UNC & sticks around well past retirement age and/or another possible UNC candidate like Stackhouse is more successful than Miller.

May" as in may or may not.

Miller waited for the UNC position. He didn't get it. So he is doing two things, one going to a higher profile job, with more money, resources etc...as many coaches do. And he gets a chance to elevate his profile for future Power 5 type jobs that may or may not include UNC. I never said either way whether or not he would be considered at UNC in the future. If he has a lot of success before the next time it opens, he would very well likely get considered, if not get the job. 

Hubert Davis gets hired. UNC is not likely to be open any time soon. It's a good time for him to make a move, and he has a pretty decent landing spot.

I believe some people over think some situations. UC needs a coach now. Miller would be one of several future UNC candidates who knows when. It would appear to be a good situation for both him and UC. (Doesn't mean he'll succeed there or stay) But, it means it's a solid move for both today.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

This is awesome.

I watched the culture montagefrom a good YouTube basketball guru who breaks down offenses and defenses,  Hoopvision68.  I bought the book he recommended on how to analyze basketball, "Basketball on Paper" by Dean Oliver.  It's the Sabermetrics of basketball. 

Meant to post this last week...Recruiting analyst Brian Snow joined Micah Shrewsbury's staff at Penn St. to help with recruiting. The NBA has hired some college recruiting analysts for scouting. (Corey Evans etc...) Vandy did it for football with Barton Simmons. Been a bit of a trend to gain an edge in recruiting and scouting.

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Not a troll; a serious question.  Danny Manning just signed on with Maryland as an assistant.  Important?  I think not but am open to wizened discussion.

Orlando Antigua is probably the top recruiter at Illinois. And has played a big role in them getting Curbelo, Kofi, Feliz, Plummer, Melendez (21 commit), Bass (22 commit). Those recruits aren’t really ones we compete with them on directly but it would be a big blow to a local program. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

50 minutes ago, courtside said:

Try not to troll every thread. Maybe take a break from the board if this is how you regularly post. 

man, taj didnt even say anything bad about soccer, marquette, vanderbilt or desmet and you still go off on him.   you must have taj derangement syndrome.

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

man, taj didnt even say anything bad about soccer, marquette, vanderbilt or desmet and you still go off on him.   you must have taj derangement syndrome.

You are projecting Roy. He’s just adding to your trolling of various SLU sports teams. This is the Coaching Carousel thread. 

2 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Orlando Antigua is probably the top recruiter at Illinois. And has played a big role in them getting Curbelo, Kofi, Feliz, Plummer, Melendez (21 commit), Bass (22 commit). Those recruits aren’t really ones we compete with them on directly but it would be a big blow to a local program. 

Chin Coleman is also leaving Illinois for Kentucky. Joel Justus is leaving Kentucky to be the top assistant nat Arizona St. (After Rashon Burno left to be N. llinois HC)

My initial reaction was WTF cares (Who instead of What).  Now, that might be trolling but please accept my plea for ignorance.  I am all ears (and eyes):  explain to me why Saint Louis U. fans care about Coleman, Justus, Bruno, and anyone else you spit out there and what does their movement matter in Billiken circles.  Please feel free to answer and then reply to yourself five or six more times.  Remember: Lloyd has it in writing that he’ll take over for Few so you can leave that explanation out.

billiken_roy and bauman like this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

My initial reaction was WTF cares (Who instead of What).  Now, that might be trolling but please accept my plea for ignorance.  I am all ears (and eyes):  explain to me why Saint Louis U. fans care about Coleman, Justus, Bruno, and anyone else you spit out there and what does their movement matter in Billiken circles.  Please feel free to answer and then reply to yourself five or six more times.  Remember: Lloyd has it in writing that he’ll take over for Few so you can leave that explanation out.

Why does it have to matter in Billiken circles? This isn't the Billiken Coaching Carousel Thread. (Feel free to start that thread) It's the Coaching Carousel Thread. There's a big world out there beyond what you may or may not find interesting. (and yet, here you are). This is also the 2nd time you have mentioned a Gonzaga assistant coach as well as previously mentioning an Arizona Head Coaching position. No one was bothered by it. 

27 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Aside from @courtside's point about the title of the thread (which is a great point), the movement of assistant coaches to-and-from area D1 schools is extremely relevant to SLU. Most of the recruiting legwork is done by assistants. We've been in direct competition with Illinois for a variety of recruits recently, so it's noteworthy their two top assistants are leaving for another school.

12 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Aside from @courtside's point about the title of the thread (which is a great point), the movement of assistant coaches to-and-from area D1 schools is extremely relevant to SLU. Most of the recruiting legwork is done by assistants. We've been in direct competition with Illinois for a variety of recruits recently, so it's noteworthy their two top assistants are leaving for another school.

You are right, it is vitally important. I think it deserves a new thread. We can call it the “Assistant Coaches Carousel.” Or, how about the “Coaching Merry-Go-round.” Makes sense because it is smaller. If not, maybe “Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel, a Coaches we will Spin!”?

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

In addition, Illinois has countered Kentucky’s offer to keep Antigua. Either way, there’s a good chance Antigua becomes the highest paid college assistant, at either Kentucky or Illinois. 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

You are right, it is vitally important. I think it deserves a new thread. We can call it the “Assistant Coaches Carousel.” Or, how about the “Coaching Merry-Go-round.” Makes sense because it is smaller. If not, maybe “Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel, a Coaches we will Spin!”?

Also the assistants include head guys who have been "relegated". not talking about them is kind of like not talking about Gordon and the like, guys might not actually be playing but are still eligible and not part of the portal.

seems anyone that has time to read this humble fan site shouldn't mind wading thru stuff that doesn't interest them. odds r I will never post on the merch threads but don't mind reading them. I wish we had more postings and O.T. threads of interest.

I will continue to disagree.  Unless the movement affects SLU directly, I don't really see the meaning of the fact that School X has done this to its coaching bench or who is getting paid what.  My concern would be how that affects SLU.  It doesn't.  That is for the assistants.  I always thought the 'Coaching Carousel' was centered on head coaches getting fired, hired and moving on and how that might affect Travis Ford, Corey Tate, Ford Stuen, Will Bailey, Alex Jensen, and so on.  In addition, what new coaches would be entering the A10 at Fordham, Mason and so on.   National news counts too, like the Pitinos, which started this thread to begin with.  

My dual post on Lloyd was simple ---- the information provided by courtside was wrong.  That's all.

Courtside please start a Director Of Basketball Operations Carousel.  I specifically need to know the latest DOBO staffing updates on Marquette, Valpo, Vanderbilt, Penn St, Tennessee, St. Mary's and Pepperdine.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Courtside please start a Director Of Basketball Operations Carousel.  I specifically need to know the latest DOBO staffing updates on Marquette, Valpo, Vanderbilt, Penn St, Tennessee, St. Mary's and Pepperdine.

Thanks in advance.

That might necessitate a supplemental "Graduate Assistant Carousel" thread. 

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Thanks in advance.

Sure. Since this is the Coaching Carousel thread:

John Impelman Pepperdine

Dominic Lippi St. Mary’s

Mary Carter Eggert Tennessee

Nick Colella Penn St. (His title changed to Chief of Staff for next season)

Shasha Brown Vandy

Jason Karys Valpo

Noreen Walsh Marquette

Some of these school have additional personnel in overlapping positions. 👍

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Thanks in advance.

Now we are at “pinwheel” level, FYI. Maybe even getting to the term “swirl”.