Coaching Carousel

1 hour ago, someoneelse said:

Sean Miller out at Arizona.  A little surprised.  

-I am too, I took from a story from some months ago that administration was backing him in a big way, times change

-that's a great job in need of coach

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I am too, I took from a story from some months ago that administration was backing him in a big way, times change

Maybe the university sees the hammer coming. 

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Maybe they bring Dan Hurley to Tucson and ignite the U of A / ASU rivalry even more?

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Long shot (bc too close to Miller and CBI Championships don't mean much to AZ), but one can hope: Lorenzo Romar. 

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

My guess is they have a belief that the guy they want to coach the team would take the job if they axed Miller.  This has the feel of being set up to bring Luke Walton in and wouldn’t have happened at this point unless they were certain Walton would take the job.

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is they have a belief that the guy they want to coach the team would take the job if they axed Miller.  This has the feel of being set up to bring Luke Walton in and wouldn’t have happened at this point unless they were certain Walton would take the job.

You may be right on the motive, but it appears Walton isn’t interested. They could be targeting another former player.

5 hours ago, Bizziken said:

Miles Simon should get serious consideration for the Zona job. 

Hero of the ‘97 Natty team. Good call on that one! That team was so good. Jason Terry, Bibby, Michael Dickerson. Three eventual first-round draft picks. 
Josh Pastner was on that squad, too.

And Sweet Lute on the bench... what a field general he was! 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Hero of the ‘97 Natty team. Good call on that one! That team was so good. Jason Terry, Bibby, Michael Dickerson. Three eventual first-round draft picks. 
Josh Pastner was on that squad, too.

And Sweet Lute on the bench... what a field general he was! 

Another heart breaker! It is a wonder I still have a heart left 😐

https://slubillikens.com/news/2003/12/6/205256713.aspx

thatskablamo likes this

11 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

They are probably looking at the HC’s for SDSU, Utah state, Colorado state, and BYU. Lot to choose from in that Western region.

Forgot Boise State.

Utah State's coach already got scooped by Utah. But yeah, those are good guesses if Walton's out. 

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I don't understand why schools are so adamant about hiring alums. The success stories are few and far between. You wind up alienating a chunk of the fan base when you inevitably have to fire them. 

Because big schools need alignment of fans/boosters, big donors, AD and the coach.   It's like Clauswitz trinity of war you need the alignment of political, will of the people and military to be successful.   Hiring an alumni in theory brings in someone familiar with the school,  to the boosters and helps align them.  Plus you love your guy more than someone else's guy.

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I don't understand why schools are so adamant about hiring alums. The success stories are few and far between. You wind up alienating a chunk of the fan base when you inevitably have to fire them. 

UNC has this unique situation where they had a Hall of Fame Coach (Frank McGuire) succeeded by his assistant who became an even greater Hall of Fame coach (Dean Smith) and was eventually able to hire away his former assistant from Kansas (Roy Williams) who already had Hall of Fame credentials.  Dean's assistant Bill Guthridge had a lot of success in his short run as coach.  Matt Doherty did not.  It's been an amazing run of consistency.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Hearing the top recruiter for Mark Few is the target right now, Tommy Lloyd.

Tommy Lloyd's son is a Grand Canyon U, Phoenix, AZ (Bryce Drew) hoops player. (Few and the Drew family are close). An additional Zags assistant, Roger Powell Jr. has been a long time close friend and assistant with Bryce Drew. 

Lloyd has a written agreement to be Gonzaga's coach in the future when Few retires.

Speaking of Matt Doherty, I once ran into him at a Tex Mex Restaurant in Dallas when he coached SMU.  I implored him to call Majerus to schedule a game.   He said Majerus was too busy out commenting on abortion (Majerus had just hit the news for this).

Doherty did not follow through on my request and he was fired by SMU not long after.   Coincidence?  I think not. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

21 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Cincy's Athletic department is a train wreck.

Seems like they were rolling along pretty well not too long ago - maybe 4-5 years? - with top 25 teams in both football and basketball. 

Just looking at it more closely. They finished 24th, 21st, and 8th in football the last 3 years. They won the American in basketball two seasons ago and finished 22nd in the country the year before that. What's the problem?