Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

They already did. Drew Valentine isn’t going to be an extension of Porter Moser in any sense.

Continuity is a good thing and he will do a good job in a low-risk move for LUC. I’m sure he will bring some tenants of the Moser theology to the sidelines.

Billies: where do you think the differences lie? 

20 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Continuity is a good thing and he will do a good job in a low-risk move for LUC. I’m sure he will bring some tenants of the Moser theology to the sidelines.

Billies: where do you think the differences lie? 

It’s clear some posters, including you, are more concerned about the success of Loyola than SLU. For that reason, I won’t explain the very obvious reasons why someone who has never coached a D1 game isn’t comparable to Porter Moser.

51 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s clear some posters, including you, are more concerned about the success of Loyola than SLU. For that reason, I won’t explain the very obvious reasons why someone who has never coached a D1 game isn’t comparable to Porter Moser.

I’m concerned a program like Loyola, once a middle of the pack Horizon League team, has made two incredibly deep NCAA Tournament runs with a former Majerus disciple at the helm. All with a budget, facilities and fan base a fraction of ours. I’m not looking to post about Loyola’s success - I’m wondering when our time is going to come and what we need to do to ensure it happens. And how did we let Porter out of our grasp? I understand how the Saint Louis U’s of the world got passed by Creighton and Gonzaga and Marquette. But when Loyola plays Ignatian Leapfrog with us, that’s cause for major concern.

thetorch likes this

Wanting SLU to do better and be better annually in basketball, is about SLU. Have to recruit better, develop players better, game prep better, in game adjustments better, x'o's better, etc...other schools aren't going to do those things for SLU. 

Thus far Ford has been able to take SLU from near the A-10 bottom back to the top 5 ish A-10 Team. Expectations moving forward are for SLU to take another jump into the top 3, winning the league here and there etc...making the NCAA Tourney more often, etc...

Hopefully Ford can do that. If not, SLU will need to find someone that can. 

None of it us about other teams doing well or not. You root for the league and non league opponents to help your power rating when you play those teams. It doesn't matter for SLU if anyone else is good or not outside of that.

13 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

You’ve heard my answer from 3star. With Porter they were a legit threat in recruiting. Now they aren’t. It’s that simple. 

So 3 Star speaks for you?  Okay, that’s fine. But I don’t agree with Moser being a threat to SLU recruiting. Maybe you can answer my question of who the last player was who had SLU and Loyola as the two finalists. I don’t care where the player went. Just looking for information on this ‘threat’. Maybe I am Missing something that you have info on. 

I wish the Ramblers success. I hope they do make in roads into St. Louis area recruiting. I trust Ford won’t be out recruited by a Valley team, if he truly wants a player. 

Well there are some programs geographically close that we do compete against for recruits.   Loyola hasn't been one of those, but other schools I want to lose that will make it better for SLU  include: SPUMAC, ILL, KSU, SMS, SIUC.

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So 3 Star speaks for you?  Okay, that’s fine. But I don’t agree with Moser being a threat to SLU recruiting. Maybe you can answer my question of who the last player was who had SLU and Loyola as the two finalists. I don’t care where the player went. Just looking for information on this ‘threat’. Maybe I am Missing something that you have info on. 

I wish the Ramblers success. I hope they do make in roads into St. Louis area recruiting. I trust Ford won’t be out recruited by a Valley team, if he truly wants a player. 

Why?

On 4/3/2021 at 12:27 PM, thetorch said:

TCU shouldn't be in that conference. They have no pedigree nationally. Oklahoma does. 

I more perplexed why after offering Porter the moon, Loyola didn't go after another high profile coach. Promoting a super you g assistant could be a big mistake when you could throw a million at Archie Miller.

Archie Miller has not fallen so low he needs to lap up the Loyola job .  
Why Moser’s assistant?  Because the RM system works and maybe they hope and expect that he will continue the RM system  Why more coaches don’t realize is beyond me   

8 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why?

Is this a serious question?  Why not?  Loyola costs around $65k per year and is a fantastic university.  There are maybe 100 high schools that play ball in the greater St. Louis area.  We have room for two to four new high school players per year. If Loyola awards one $65K schollie to a local hoopster, I say that is great. I want our local high school athletes, and students, to succeed wherever they may go.

No names on who we lost a one on one recruiting battle to Loyola yet? 

Neither you nor BillsBy40 have stated why it is obviously a good thing Moser is gone.

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Is this a serious question?  Why not?  Loyola costs around $65k per year and is a fantastic university.  There are maybe 100 high schools that play ball in the greater St. Louis area.  We have room for two to four new high school players per year. If Loyola awards one $65K schollie to a local hoopster, I say that is great. I want our local high school athletes, and students, to succeed wherever they may go.

Neither you nor BillsBy40 have stated why it is obviously a good thing Moser is gone.

Did we lose a recruiting battle for the services of one Porter Moser himself?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Sure I did, you just don't accept my reasoning.  BTW, Moser offered Javon Pickett and Luke Kasubke out of high school.  So Loyola has already dabbled in St. Louis metro.  Not sure why you think it's so unbelievable Moser would have expanded his footprint just a few hours south, but OK.

RUBillsFan likes this

On 4/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, courtside said:

What’s the question?

Ogden and Terry are very close friends. And both are close friends with Beard. Both also worked for Rick Barnes. That covers Beard and Texas.

Shaka hasn’t announced his staff yet because he is 1) Trying to keep 3 incoming recruits 2) Working the transfer portal. Been a few names floated. And Yaklich is at IUC, Horn is at N. Kentucky. Not sure yet about Turner, Berry. Hatt is going with Shaka to Marquette. 

Wojo’s assistants, Dwayne Killings is the new Head Coach at Albany. Justin Gainey may he retained by Shaka. (He recruited the top 50 big from North Carolina (Aidoo) now in the portal. They kept one and also trying to keep another. Johnson went to LMU HC last year and Nelson to Holy Cross HC year before.

Porter Moser has hired KT Turner as an assistant.

He was previously an assistant at Texas with Shaka Smart. Prior to that, he was an assistant at SMU for 7 years under Larry Brown and Tim Jankovich. (He also played for Jankovich). He was also an assistant under Gregg Marshall at Wichita St. He has coached and played in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and he has lot of juco experience too.

We should root for all the mid majors to do well once they get in the dance. If they start getting bounced out in the first round, the Majors will have a valid argument for saying who needs them in the dance? It's good to see Zaga in the final game, as well as Loyola and ORU in the Sweet 16. That means they had to eliminate some P5's along the way, so the P7's can't argue they're just fodder clogging up the tournament. Now some may argue Zaga is no longer a true Mid Major, but until they get in the PAC 12 or the Big 12, which isn't going to happen, they play in a mid major conference and are a mid major. 

45 minutes ago, courtside said:

Inside Carolina is reporting that the Carolina Board of trustees meeting to discuss Hubert Davis for its Head Coaching position. C.L. Brown and others confirm its a done deal formality for Hubert Davis.

No surprise there.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Inside Carolina is reporting that the Carolina Board of trustees meeting to discuss Hubert Davis for its Head Coaching position. C.L. Brown and others confirm its a done deal formality for Hubert Davis.

-will be interesting to see if Hubert has 'it' 

Mike Wilbon reported that Davis left ESPN to go back to UNC as an assistant with the eventual HC position as his ultimate goal.  He got it.  Here's to him doing well.

On 4/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, courtside said:

What’s the question?

Ogden and Terry are very close friends. And both are close friends with Beard. Both also worked for Rick Barnes. That covers Beard and Texas.

Shaka hasn’t announced his staff yet because he is 1) Trying to keep 3 incoming recruits 2) Working the transfer portal. Been a few names floated. And Yaklich is at IUC, Horn is at N. Kentucky. Not sure yet about Turner, Berry. Hatt is going with Shaka to Marquette. 

Wojo’s assistants, Dwayne Killings is the new Head Coach at Albany. Justin Gainey may he retained by Shaka. (He recruited the top 50 big from North Carolina (Aidoo) now in the portal. They kept one and also trying to keep another. Johnson went to LMU HC last year and Nelson to Holy Cross HC year before.

It appears Justin Gainey may be headed to Xavier as an assistant. He has a long term connection to Sean Miller, having played at N.C. State for Herb Sendek when Miller was an assistant. And, he was an assistant at Arizona prior to Marquette.

Texas is hiring KU assistant Jerrance Howard. Joining Terry, Maligi, Ogden. 

Moser hired Texas assistant KT Turner last week.