Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While more money is often a plus, as has been previously mentioned, Moser doesn't need the money. His dad had a lumber company, which later became a real estate development company. Their family built so much much and donated so much that there is a statue of Porter's dad in downtown Naperville, Il. Their family is wealthy outside of basketball.

This will definitely give him a shot to be great. If I was a coach, I would stay away from the big 12. Look at Jaime Dixon. He has an elite record, 424-193 all time (porter 293-241), and his seat is getting pretty warm going into next year. He’s always been able to recruit and he’s recruiting well at tcu - but it is hard to win in that conference. 

31 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

This will definitely give him a shot to be great. If I was a coach, I would stay away from the big 12. Look at Jaime Dixon. He has an elite record, 424-193 all time (porter 293-241), and his seat is getting pretty warm going into next year. He’s always been able to recruit and he’s recruiting well at tcu - but it is hard to win in that conference. 

TCU shouldn't be in that conference. They have no pedigree nationally. Oklahoma does. 

I more perplexed why after offering Porter the moon, Loyola didn't go after another high profile coach. Promoting a super you g assistant could be a big mistake when you could throw a million at Archie Miller.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

TCU shouldn't be in that conference. They have no pedigree nationally. Oklahoma does. 

I more perplexed why after offering Porter the moon, Loyola didn't go after another high profile coach. Promoting a super you g assistant could be a big mistake when you could throw a million at Archie Miller.

I thought bringing back Bryan Mullins would have made the most sense.

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Agree on the national pedigree but my goodness does tcu have money...

TCU is probably about same size as SLU.   They have one of the best coaches in college football, Gary Patterson.  Upgraded their football stadium a few years ago.   Basketball arena is alright.   Decent baseball.  They dominated mountain west in baseball and football (ever heard of LaDainian Tomlinson, Sammy Baugh, Davey O'Brian, Andy Dalton).  They're competitive in the B12.  They belong.  Natural rivalry with Baylor (though biggest rival is SMU).

Campus is in a nice area of Ft. Worth.  Kinda wish SLU and them plus SMU, Houston were all in Conference USA still so I could see games closer. 

4 hours ago, A10Ref said:

It’ll be interesting to see the recruiting side.  Moser’s teams play defense and that’s how he recruits.  So will those higher star recruits play defense? Will he recruit as high as Oklahoma fans and boosters expect despite it fits the system? 

As a Loyola fan I wish him nothing but the best and I guess glad he went to Oklahoma over some of the other choices, I can cheer for him at Oklahoma. He put the Loyola program on the map and brought them millions and millions of dollars bc of what he built.

42 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The thing that really matters for SLU is Loyola is back to a nobody program. Good result for us.

Why is Loyola possibly taking a step back good for us? Don’t think we recruit against each other all that often. Anytime a Mid is successful is a  good thing. 

HoosierPal likes this

34 minutes ago, willie said:

Why is Loyola possibly taking a step back good for us? Don’t think we recruit against each other all that often. Anytime a Mid is successful is a  good thing. 

It’s pretty obvious how the success of a mid-major in Chicago is potentially detrimental to SLU. And that’s not even considering the fact that school is a Jesuit school.

37 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s pretty obvious how the success of a mid-major in Chicago is potentially detrimental to SLU. And that’s not even considering the fact that school is a Jesuit school.

Please explain.  It isn't obvious to a lot of people, including me. 

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Says the 2011 Rose Bowl champs. TCU is some dirty, old north Texas oil money. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby couldn’t say no to them the way then-Gov Ann Richards (a Baylor alum) railroaded TCU out of the Big 8 when the SWC dissolved. 

Also: TCU baseball is an elite program that has been to Omaha and not just for a BBQ. Five appearances in the last ten years. 

3 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Says the 2011 Rose Bowl champs. TCU is some dirty, old north Texas oil money. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby couldn’t say no to them the way then-Gov Ann Richards (a Baylor alum) railroaded TCU out of the Big 8 when the SWC dissolved. 
That story is about as close to an old Texas campfire tale if you are around the right people and there’s whisky to pass around. 

Also: TCU baseball is an elite program that has been to Omaha and not just for a BBQ. Five appearances in the last ten years. 

Made an edit. Hit the wrong button. 

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It was only a matter of time before Loyola expanded its recruiting footprint to southern Illinois.

It’s not obvious to me. They have Chicago. They are not going to out recruit the Illinois  of the world in Southern Illinois. 

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It was only a matter of time before Loyola expanded its recruiting footprint to southern 

With Moser leaving that will take even longer.
I enjoy watching Loyola and hope they have success. I can’t remember the last player who had Loyola and SLU as the final two choices. Maybe you can help me there. 

I will wait for BilliesBy40’s answer  

AGB91 and willie like this

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

With Moser leaving that will take even longer.
I enjoy watching Loyola and hope they have success. I can’t remember the last player who had Loyola and SLU as the final two choices. Maybe you can help me there. 

I will wait for BilliesBy40’s answer  

You’ve heard my answer from 3star. With Porter they were a legit threat in recruiting. Now they aren’t. It’s that simple. 

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

You’ve heard my answer from 3star. With Porter they were a legit threat in recruiting. Now they aren’t. It’s that simple. 

Just looked at their current roster. Everyone appears to be from the upper Midwest Chicago extended area. Still don’t see how they were going to be a recruiting rival.