Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oklahoma is a nice gig.

Not a blue blood so removes the pressure of coaching UK, KU, UNC, Indiana and the like.  Program has a solid history of success, was in the final 4 just 5 years ago.  Willing to pay huge amounts of money in salary.  Facilities are second to none.  Awesome basketball conference.  Underrated program.  Not many schools have been to 5 final 4s.

one has to provide for your family.   he obviously got a big payday so i dont blame him.  heck he lasts 4 years and he's set for life.   yes, i agree it likely wont turn out good to go to big football school that treats basketball like a secondary citizen, but the money.....

i thought he might be different and follow the mark few example of becoming a legend at loyola.   oh well.  it's his life.   

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

one has to provide for your family.   he obviously got a big payday so i dont blame him.  heck he lasts 4 years and he's set for life.   yes, i agree it likely wont turn out good to go to big football school that treats basketball like a secondary citizen, but the money.....

i thought he might be different and follow the mark few example of becoming a legend at loyola.   oh well.  it's his life.   

Agreed but it was reported Loyola offered him a 10 year deal worth $2.2M+ per year. He was set for life regardless.

Moser's family is independently wealthy away from basketball. Going to OU isn't about providing for his family. Loyola paid him seven figures annually, and, Loyola offered him a 10 year deal to stay worth $2.2 Million.

OU is in a Power 5 League where schools receive roughly $40 Million annually.

He gets to work with a good AD.

OU has had a lot of good hoops history. 

He wants a chance, and, the challenge, to compete at the highest levels.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

My hope as well. 

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Agreed but it was reported Loyola offered him a 10 year deal worth $2.2M+ per year. He was set for life regardless.

This. Most anyone I know provides for their family quite handsomely at 8-10% of $2.2M a year. I liked Porter at SLU and hoped the admin. would go with Rick’s suggestion to have him take over when Rick retired. Porter’s the kind of guy you want to pull for and, 99.9% of the time, I want Oklahoma to lose.

31 minutes ago, courtside said:

Moser's family is independently wealthy away from basketball. Going to OU isn't about providing for his family. Loyola paid him seven figures annually, and, Loyola offered him a 10 year deal to stay worth $2.2 Million.

OU is in a Power 5 League where schools receive roughly $40 Million annually.

He gets to work with a good AD.

OU has had a lot of good hoops history. 

He wants a chance, and, the challenge, to compete at the highest levels.

yeah but the flip side, he was building a program, which could have become a midwestern Gonzaga. Suspect that is why he had a difficult time making this decision.  

11 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

yeah but the flip side, he was building a program, which could have become a midwestern Gonzaga. Suspect that is why he had a difficult time making this decision.  

Sure. But he didn't leave for money. He has money. He would have had plenty of money.

The discussion of choosing between dominating a mid major league vs leaving for a hoops friendly Power 5 League is more relevant than money discussions.

50 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Even without a coaching change, it's hard for a mid-major program to sustain this kind of success.  Have to strike while the iron is hot if you are ever going to cash in.........and honestly the door will always be open at a program like Loyola.....

1 hour ago, Basketbill said:

The odds of Loyola becoming the next Gonzaga is 1/934,327. There hasn't been a non P6 school to sustain this level of success for this long besides Gonzaga. 

21 years under Few with an NCAA tourney. They have never missed a tourney. Only 3 years without at least 1 win, 8 years with just 1 win. 6 sweet 16's, 2 elite 8's, and 2 final 4's including this year with one of those being a final 2.  Including this year 6 straight sweet 16's. 

I'd guess the next best example is Xavier. 

Porter had a great year then 2 good but non NCAA tourney years, then another very good year. Of their top 7 players, 5 were Sr's. They weren't going to be back next year and possibly not the next. 

I'm not sold on him being good at OU. There's a difference between playing 3 top 50 games a year compared to 15. The question is can he recruit better athletes and then turn them into skilled, disciplined, basketball players. We'll see. I'm a Porter and an OU fan so I hope so. 

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The Mark Fews and Bob McKIllops of the world are few and far between, B'roy. Coaches are human. Dangle more $$'s, more perks, brighter lights, etc most are gonna jump. My question is, is his magic talisman, Sr. Jean, gonna become a bible toting Baptist and join him? Also, Loyola offering him $2.2 mil for 10 years with incentives was pretty surprising. Makes me wonder if we'd ever belly up to the bar to keep Travis if he got us into a couple of sweet 16's or elite eights or Final Four la la land. 

billiken_roy likes this

23 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Wherever he got an offer he could not refuse.

My question was in response to this statement. Disappointed to hear Moser to Oklahoma. Seems like he would've had higher standards

Follow along. 

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The odds of Loyola becoming the next Gonzaga is 1/934,327. There hasn't been a non P6 school to sustain this level of success for this long besides Gonzaga. 

21 years under Few with an NCAA tourney. They have never missed a tourney. Only 3 years without at least 1 win, 8 years with just 1 win. 6 sweet 16's, 2 elite 8's, and 2 final 4's including this year with one of those being a final 2.  Including this year 6 straight sweet 16's. 

I'd guess the next best example is Xavier. 

Porter had a great year then 2 good but non NCAA tourney years, then another very good year. Of their top 7 players, 5 were Sr's. They weren't going to be back next year and possibly not the next. 

I'm not sold on him being good at OU. There's a difference between playing 3 top 50 games a year compared to 15. The question is can he recruit better athletes and then turn them into skilled, disciplined, basketball players. We'll see. I'm a Porter and an OU fan so I hope so. 

Mark Few's tenure has long been interesting to me because every time he needed a result in a certain way, he has seemed to have gotten it.

Early in his tenure at Gonzaga, he made a couple of Sweet 16's as a Cinderella double digit seed.

Then skip ahead five years and he gets another Sweet 16 defeating a 14 and 16 seed. Then skip ahead three years and he gets another Sweet 16 defeating a 13 and 12. 

So that's 15 years, four Sweet 16's. 2 as Cinderella, 2 only defeating Cinderella. 12 of 15 first round wins. Consistent, steady, dominate league and league tourney. Finding ways to get results when needed.

It was year 16 that the current Gonzaga level of NCAA Tourney results began, Elite 8, Runner Up, Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four Four.

Zink likes this

12 minutes ago, courtside said:

Mark Few's tenure has long been interesting to me because every time he needed a result in a certain way, he has seemed to have gotten it.

Early in his tenure at Gonzaga, he made a couple of Sweet 16's as a Cinderella double digit seed.

Then skip ahead five years and he gets another Sweet 16 defeating a 14 and 16 seed. Then skip ahead three years and he gets another Sweet 16 defeating a 13 and 12. 

So that's 15 years, four Sweet 16's. 2 as Cinderella, 2 only defeating Cinderella. 12 of 15 first round wins. Consistent, steady, dominate league and league tourney. Finding ways to get results when needed.

It was year 16 that the current Gonzaga level of NCAA Tourney results began, Elite 8, Runner Up, Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four Four.

Good post. Also no surprise their current run of elite play started around the time they were able to consistently recruit at a higher level. They earned it, though, so no shade.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

what did he get at oklahoma?

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

My hope as well. 

This. Most anyone I know provides for their family quite handsomely at 8-10% of $2.2M a year. I liked Porter at SLU and hoped the admin. would go with Rick’s suggestion to have him take over when Rick retired. Porter’s the kind of guy you want to pull for and, 99.9% of the time, I want Oklahoma to lose.

i dont think that rickma ever said he wanted moser to be his successor.

I don't know if the Big 12 sees itself as solely a powerhouse FB conference these days. Clearly they've had more success in hoops than FB. When they lost Colorado and Nebraska they lost tow old time powerhouses. Losing Mizzery didn't help either. Texas has been down in recent years, so that hasn't helped either. Granted, OU loves 'em some FB and that will likely never change, but they'd be supportive of a successful hoops program too. 

You look at their BB lineup and from top to bottom it more of a powerhouse conference than FB. Baylor, KU, and WVU are always found in the tip 25. Usually, in top 15. ISU's been down but they've had some solid teams in the recent past as well. TK, KSU, OSU, and OU all have had their shining moments recently. Not saying BB is dominant, but it's not a sideline sport either that's only their to fill the time until FB season. 

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think that rickma ever said he wanted moser to be his successor.

I’m sure I heard him say this on an interview on 101 ESPN, probably one of those long-winded ones he occasionally did with Bernie.