Coaching Carousel

32 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

yup... Chicago/Midwest guy going down to Norman doesn't make too much sense to me... There's no Nebraska, Northwestern, Wake Forest, or BC in that league. Yes Iowa State and KState were garbage this year, but both of those programs are traditionally pretty darn good. The only team with no winning history is TCU with a coach that has coached in 24 NCAA tournament games at exactly .500. So when playing TCU and Jaime Dixon is your off night - good luck.

I could see Moser at Notre Dame. Not sure how much longer Brey wants to coach though.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking like UTEP and UT-Arlington may both open up,  rumors the HC will be hired as assistants at Texas.  They're opening up that check book.  

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What’s up with Marquette’s assistants?

I don't know calling Courtside 

12 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't know calling Courtside 

What’s the question?

Ogden and Terry are very close friends. And both are close friends with Beard. Both also worked for Rick Barnes. That covers Beard and Texas.

Shaka hasn’t announced his staff yet because he is 1) Trying to keep 3 incoming recruits 2) Working the transfer portal. Been a few names floated. And Yaklich is at IUC, Horn is at N. Kentucky. Not sure yet about Turner, Berry. Hatt is going with Shaka to Marquette. 

Wojo’s assistants, Dwayne Killings is the new Head Coach at Albany. Justin Gainey may he retained by Shaka. (He recruited the top 50 big from North Carolina (Aidoo) now in the portal. They kept one and also trying to keep another. Johnson went to LMU HC last year and Nelson to Holy Cross HC year before.

12 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Why not Porter at UNC?

Because they're one of the top 4 programs in college basketball and they can pull a winning coach from another top/very good program with experience in a like conference with big time boosters.   Plus they want one of their guys (if possible).  Also Porter is not a East Coast guy with no ties to the area.

4 hours ago, shempie said:

I could see Moser at Notre Dame. Not sure how much longer Brey wants to coach though.

Not to bring up old Dukie assistants, but would you put Brey, Quinn Snyder or Tommy Amaker first on the list of most successful leafs on the Coach K tree? Maybe Dawkins?

UNC:  Stephen A. Smith is screaming for Levelle Moton from NC Central to get the job.  Mike WIlbon is screaming that it should be Hubert Davis.  Kornheiser threw in Jerry Stackhouse.  Larry Brown says Williams should name his own successor.  Others say form a panel that includes Jordan and Mitch Kupchak.

north carolina has always picked from the family, and i seriously doubt that is changing.   i would think that makes davis, robinson and frederick the top choices.  robinson's bio reads like the obvious "it's my turn" choice.   many think the nba name of davis gives him the edge, frederick is the hard working come up the hard way over achiever choice.   

regardless should be interesting to see who the blue blood picks 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

north carolina has always picked from the family, and i seriously doubt that is changing.   i would think that makes davis, robinson and frederick the top choices.  robinson's bio reads like the obvious "it's my turn" choice.   many think the nba name of davis gives him the edge, frederick is the hard working come up the hard way over achiever choice.   

regardless should be interesting to see who the blue blood picks 

Robinson would be the Bill Guthridge type of pick.  He's 63 already and you have to assume wouldn't be there very long before retiring.  UNC is in a very different spot right now than when Dean Smith retired & Guthridge took over.  Smith left Guthridge a team that was coming off a Final 4 appearance and was completely loaded with 5 future NBA players (Jamison, Carter, Haywood, N'Diaye, and Williams) plus a guy who finished his career with the most assists in school history (Ed Cota).  Roy Williams is leaving some talent behind, but considerably less than that and more could potentially transfer.  Robinson has been at UNC for Roy's entire tenure, but he had no previous ties to UNC.  I really don't think they'll go with Robinson unless they decide they want to minimize any upset with the current program & kick the can of finding a long term coach down the road (for example, maybe they want to see UNC alum Wes Miller get some more seasoning at UNC-G before handing the reigns over to him or see if Stackhouse can get things going at Vandy).

Davis seems like the most logical in house option.  He's been there for 10 years and is a UNC alum.  He's "only" 50, so he could have a decently long career there before retiring.

I doubt they go with Frederick because he'd presumably need to jump both Davis & Robinson and isn't really a "name" guy, but who knows.

They could also look outside the current program, but stay "inside" the UNC "family".  As previously mentioned Wes Miller  seems like the most logical choice if they do that.  He's only 38, but has done a really good job at UNC-G.  Whereas a guy like Stackhouse doesn't really have much success to show at Vandy.

46 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Will be fascinating to watch him coach in the Big 12... best of luck to him!

There may not be a better Athletic Director in the country for a coach to work under than Joe Castiglione.  Porter chose wisely.

Moser to OU is terrible.   I like Moser now I can't anymore.   Though I did really like Sherri Coale (former OU women's coach not your typical women's coach Google it).

Beard and Moser both coached at UALR.

40 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Moser to OU is terrible.   I like Moser now I can't anymore.   Though I did really like Sherri Coale (former OU women's coach not your typical women's coach Google it).

Silver lining. Our last coach came after being bounced out of a school in Oklahoma. Maybe our next coach will be too in 7 years...

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

CBBBF3BE-EEE9-4240-9541-89ECF14AE94A.jpe

dlarry likes this