Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

God.  Who gets that job?

If they want to hire from within, Hubert Davis would be an option. Former NBA player  and alum - following the Juwan Howard model. That's also the route that Indiana went.

18 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

God.  Who gets that job?

Wes Miller is from the "UNC family" and has done well at UNC-Greensboro.

Jerod Haase from Stanford is also from the "family" having coached at UNC.

Jerry Stackhouse has experience at Vandy, but his record isn't very good (at a tough school to coach).

7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I am going to go with Brad Stevens, who just turned down Indiana. Calipari? Anyone would jump on this one. This would be funny: Mick Cronin.

Hubert Davis or Scott Williams.  They stay in the UNC family for this hire.

Just now, thatskablamo said:

Worked out for Matt Dougherty. 

Worked out with Roy.  

Every coach UNC has ever hired post Frank McGuire has either been a current UNC assistant coach or a former UNC player (Roy played on the JV team).  That is 60 years of keeping it in the family.  

thatskablamo likes this

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Assuming this is not an April Fool's Joke (today is the worst day on social media):

Not a joke they waited until today to interview because his buyout dropped by $1mil.  Interviewed and hired,  Texas AD Chris Del Conte aka CDC is pretty damn good.  Texas hired him away from TCU and in the last year he's hired a new FB coach, Women's BB Coach (whose been amazing this year), and now BB coach.  He's also raised money for a $383mil new Arena and practice facility.   If you go to Baseball or Football you'll see him in a Burnt Orange Blazer engaging anyone that approaches.

There's been some rumbling in this thread regarding Texas bumbling other coaching hires that was under previous AD Steve Patterson who everyone hated because he was just hatable and turrible.  For some reason he was hired from the Portland Trailblazers.   Only good thing he did was start alcohol sales at FB games which earned about $6mil that season. 

There were also other  assertions of why someone would leave a TTU or Arkansas for Texas.   To quote Waylon Jenning's lyrics from "Bob Wills is Still the King"......"if you've never been there,  I guess you ain't been told."  Austin and Lubbock are very different places.   Lubbock is a nice town 5 hour drive from anywhere.  Austin is central and has a lot to offer.  Recruiting two metroplexes of 6.5mil people just 3 hours away in either direction loaded with talent.  Texas has 2 teams in the Final 4.  UT is the flagship, it is King Kong and Godzilla put together in both political pull and money. It is a challenge because that brings expectations.  Beard has the cache.

I'm pumped, I think Beard can do some waiver magic and have this thing righted fairly quickly.

slufanskip likes this

15 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Not a joke they waited until today to interview because his buyout dropped by $1mil.  Interviewed and hired,  Texas AD Chris Del Conte aka CDC is pretty damn good.  Texas hired him away from TCU and in the last year he's hired a new FB coach, Women's BB Coach (whose been amazing this year), and now BB coach.  He's also raised money for a $383mil new Arena and practice facility.   If you go to Baseball or Football you'll see him in a Burnt Orange Blazer engaging anyone that approaches.

There's been some rumbling in this thread regarding Texas bumbling other coaching hires that was under previous AD Steve Patterson who everyone hated because he was just hatable and turrible.  For some reason he was hired from the Portland Trailblazers.   Only good thing he did was start alcohol sales at FB games which earned about $6mil that season. 

There were also other  assertions of why someone would leave a TTU or Arkansas for Texas.   To quote Waylon Jenning's lyrics from "Bob Wills is Still the King"......"if you've never been there,  I guess you ain't been told."  Austin and Lubbock are very different places.   Lubbock is a nice town 5 hour drive from anywhere.  Austin is central and has a lot to offer.  Recruiting two metroplexes of 6.5mil people just 3 hours away in either direction loaded with talent.  Texas has 2 teams in the Final 4.  UT is the flagship, it is King Kong and Godzilla put together in both political pull and money. It is a challenge because that brings expectations.  Beard has the cache.

I'm pumped, I think Beard can do some waiver magic and have this thing righted fairly quickly.

Good Post. I also chuckled at the TTU and Ark are better job posts. My brother told me a few days ago Beard was looking like a done deal. I thought about PM'ing you but I figured you had the same info. I'm not the UT fan you are but I can appreciate who they are and it's been a long time since I've been there but Austin has always been a crazy cool city and honestly even living in So Cal for 8-11th grades the sights in Austin are unreal. 

47 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I've been to Austin, you don't need to convince me. It would suuuuuck to live in Lubbock. I have a friend who lived in Fayetteville for a couple years (his wife works for P&G and was assigned to Walmart) and he was miserable. The quality of life between Texas and the other two schools is not even close. That's part of what surprises me sometimes when coaches jump to higher-level jobs in smaller, more remote places, especially when they have families.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I've been to Austin, you don't need to convince me. It would suuuuuck to live in Lubbock. I have a friend who lived in Fayetteville for a couple years (his wife works for P&G and was assigned to Walmart) and he was miserable. The quality of life between Texas and the other two schools is not even close. That's part of what surprises me sometimes when coaches jump to higher-level jobs in smaller, more remote places, especially when they have families.

There's so many factors with family dynamics,  work dynamics relationship with the AD fans, boosters on and on.   But on the whole, there's just some places that will win out over others. 

Got 2 SLU degrees and 1 Texas.   My kids asked if they played vs each other who I'm cheering for, no hesitation it's SLU.  But I haven't had to make that choice.

Interesting Beard story, is that TTU AD liked him so much he watched the UNLV Board interview video feed and correctly inferred that Beard did not appreciate the line of questions implying he wasn't good enough for the job.  So he calls Beard and asks to meet the next day.  Beard says let's meet tonight.   Beard goes to TTU and they get to NCAA finals, UNLV still talking about Tark the Shark.

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Money talks.

If you look at the last 4 or 5 years of results, Beard is arguably a top 5 college coach and for sure top 10.  I'd be really surprised if he doesn't have Texas in top 25 & 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney on an almost annual basis.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Money talks.

If you look at the last 4 or 5 years of results, Beard is arguably a top 5 college coach and for sure top 10.  I'd be really surprised if he doesn't have Texas in top 25 & 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney on an almost annual basis.

I guess, but I'm thinking about how much money would make it worth it for me to move to Lubbock and haven't figured it out yet. I guess some people like a 10,000 square foot house and nowhere else to go.

If I told my wife, "Hey, good news is I'm going to get $2 million per year. Bad news is we're moving to Lubbock" I'm pretty sure I'd have divorce papers the next day.

Lubbock isn't that bad.  It is a pretty good sized college town with some outdoor activities.  With a lot of these coaches, I don't know how much big city life appeals to them.  It isn't like they are in their 20's when they get these jobs.  College towns can be pretty attractive to parents in their mid to late 30's and 40's when they are raising kids.

36 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I guess, but I'm thinking about how much money would make it worth it for me to move to Lubbock and haven't figured it out yet. I guess some people like a 10,000 square foot house and nowhere else to go.

If I told my wife, "Hey, good news is I'm going to get $2 million per year. Bad news is we're moving to Lubbock" I'm pretty sure I'd have divorce papers the next day.

Are you trying to say the American Windmill Museum isn't a super fun place?  (I've never been - I just Googled Lubbock)  🤣

These guys travel a bunch anyways.  I guess your kids are stuck going to school in a certain town, but not living in a big city with a bunch of stuff to do isn't really the same kind of problem it would be for "normal" people.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Lubbock isn't that bad.  Some people prefer it, I work with people that raise cattle.  It can be in your blood to love the wide open spaces. I've been there and had fun even watched a game in their arena, similar to Chaifetz but concourses are open so you can get food and still see the game.

Me I'm going to pregame with a local microbrew from Jester King then head over to the new $383mil basketball  facility decorated by our Minister of Culture Matthew Mcconaughey.  If I can't do that I'll just watch on the Longhorn Network.  But that's just me. 

To each their own. "Lubbock isn't that bad" is the nicest thing I've heard said about it. I've been to West Texas and Big Bend is in the top 2-3 of national parks I've visted. Marfa was cool. I appreciate the wide open spaces. But man, I don't want to live in a town out there, and I say that as a father of two swiftly approaching 40. These kids need options and they need culture.

@TheA_Bomb, Jester King is one of my favorites. Had a perfect afternoon there back in late 2012. I have a case of mixed JK stuff in the basement right now.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Lubbock isn't that bad.  It is a pretty good sized college town with some outdoor activities.  With a lot of these coaches, I don't know how much big city life appeals to them.  It isn't like they are in their 20's when they get these jobs.  College towns can be pretty attractive to parents in their mid to late 30's and 40's when they are raising kids.

Buddy Holly fans would agree. 

4 hours ago, courtside said:

In the past, Wes Miller has been considered as a possibility for UNC when Roy retired. There will be lots of names in and outside of UNC.

This seems to be the correct hire. He has been hanging out at Greensboro several years and turning down a lot of offers to leave. 

Moser and UNT coach finalists at OU... I tell you one thing, hard to win in the Big 12.... on an average year that conference has max 3 teams that aren’t tournament teams. That means 70% of the games you play is against top competition. Plus filling this shoes of Lon Kruger isn’t ideal. If I was Porter, I would be very hesitant to go to Norman. 

9 minutes ago, almaman said:

As opposed to Chicago too.

yup... Chicago/Midwest guy going down to Norman doesn't make too much sense to me... There's no Nebraska, Northwestern, Wake Forest, or BC in that league. Yes Iowa State and KState were garbage this year, but both of those programs are traditionally pretty darn good. The only team with no winning history is TCU with a coach that has coached in 24 NCAA tournament games at exactly .500. So when playing TCU and Jaime Dixon is your off night - good luck.