Coaching Carousel

11 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Similar to Martelli helping Juwan

It depends on how they can work it out (or not). 

A healthy Matta was easily (in my opinion) one of the best available coaches out there for anyone. But his back and health issues are legit. He was a total gym rat too. He was at lots and lots of games on the recruiting trail, often arriving early and staying late compared to some. (That would not be part of his job this time.) But he could be a strong talent evaluator etc...

Matta's kids go to Butler. If he was going to get back in, many thought it would be Butler or IU.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Courtside who I happen to enjoy as a poster. 

He's clearly a Marquette fan and has plenty of knowledge about the school and their athletics. So what.

He didn't talk Marquette until Shaka going there was the talk in the thread. It was a thread about coaching changes so yes he chimed in. 

He didn't start threads regarding Marquette nor did he even lead the conversation there with no reason. I don't remember the last time he discussed Marquette on the board. When we played them all the time he chimed in regarding them more often and it apparently still rubs some wrong. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Re: Courtside who I happen to enjoy as a poster. 

He's clearly a Marquette fan and has plenty of knowledge about the school and their athletics. So what.

He didn't talk Marquette until Shaka going there was the talk in the thread. It was a thread about coaching changes so yes he chimed in. 

He didn't start threads regarding Marquette nor did he even lead the conversation there with no reason. I don't remember the last time he discussed Marquette on the board. When we played them all the time he chimed in regarding them more often and it apparently still rubs some wrong. 

I thought courtside was a Vanderbilt guy. 

Woodson is a terrible hire.

He was a laughingstock in the NBA as a head coach.

Juwan Howard is the only former NBA player/coach to do well.  He's relatively young in his coaching tenure.  When he gets 4 or 5 years in he may be getting fired as well.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Woodson is a terrible hire.

He was a laughingstock in the NBA as a head coach.

Juwan Howard is the only former NBA player/coach to do well.  He's relatively young in his coaching tenure.  When he gets 4 or 5 years in he may be getting fired as well.

If they were going to hire an Indiana guy they should have hired Alford. He probably wouldn’t have won a NCAA championship there, but nobody is going to be doing that at Indiana anytime soon.  He would have got them to tournament almost every year and to the Sweet 16 regularly and if the ball bounces their way deeper.

Honestly, they made a mistake when they fired Crean.  The expectations for that come with that job are unreal.

47 minutes ago, courtside said:

A few generally reliable people mentioned to me that Moser could be in play at Creighton along with Darian DeVries. But I haven't heard anything yet that would indicate that. 

Are you indicating McDermott could be fired at Creighton?

31 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Are you indicating McDermott could be fired at Creighton?

What I am saying is that a few reliable people I know mentioned that it is a possibility being discussed at Creighton, yes. Definite? No. They are saying McDermott isn’t 100% certain to be retained, and, those two coaches have been discussed as possibilities if he’s not. I was a little (not a lot) surprised to hear it.  

1 hour ago, courtside said:

What I am saying is that a few reliable people I know mentioned that it is a possibility being discussed at Creighton, yes. Definite? No. They are saying McDermott isn’t 100% certain to be retained, and, those two coaches have been discussed as possibilities if he’s not. I was a little (not a lot) surprised to hear it.  

If I was McDermott, I'd probably be looking for an escape hatch there too. 

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Stubblefield was part of that Brian Bowen mess a few years ago.

well in chicago i guess you need a little hanky panky willingness to be a success?