Coaching Carousel

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not sure your basis for this,  he's been mentioned but there's at least 1 report that Beard is the 1st choice (Mav's beat reporter Brad Townsend).  Horns247 reporting that Beard will be interviewed. They have to wait until 1 April when Beard's buy out drops $1mil. If I were going to pull another B12 coach besides Beard,  I'd go for Drew over Boynton.

It would be pretty interesting to see the Drew Bros Rivalry in the BigXII as three Old SWC teams look to advance to the Elite 8. 

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Indiana went after Stevens and Holtman. Both turned them down. They put Beilien on the back burner. Beard and Musselman won't take the job. The booster who paid off Miller apparently wants an Indiana native son. So Keith Smart & Chesney are being mentioned but I think Mike Woodson takes the job.  

Carl Cook is a billionaire that has devoted a lot of his fortune to the university of indiana and other mid-states schools (my  daughter got her engineering degree at Rose Hulman, a school that has been the benefactor of tons of cook medical money and then hired many many Rose Graduates.  My daughter works for him as a biomedical engineer)   he regularly gives to a few schools bigtime.    a few years back indiana came to him and asked he save the old hotels and golf courses in french lick.   gave the money managed the project and eventually actually took over the properties because no one else would.   he is all about the state.   i believe when crean lived in bloomington, he actually "bought a previous residence of Carl Cook to live while he was the indiana coach.

so it wouldnt surprise me carl is asking for an indiana product to be the coach. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm not sure your basis for this,  he's been mentioned but there's at least 1 report that Beard is the 1st choice (Mav's beat reporter Brad Townsend).  Horns247 reporting that Beard will be interviewed. They have to wait until 1 April when Beard's buy out drops $1mil. If I were going to pull another B12 coach besides Beard,  I'd go for Drew over Boynton.

Consensus is Baylor is by far a better gig than Texas and TT will be once their practice facility is built. I've also seen Calipari's name floated for the gig.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Consensus is Baylor is by far a better gig than Texas and TT will be once their practice facility is built. I've also seen Calipari's name floated for the gig.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Was traveling yesterday and was listening to ESPN radio. They spent about 15 minutes talking about Calipari to Texas. Their conclusion. Maybe. Money and a new challenge. 

29 minutes ago, willie said:

Was traveling yesterday and was listening to ESPN radio. They spent about 15 minutes talking about Calipari to Texas. Their conclusion. Maybe. Money and a new challenge. 

I don't see that happening at all. Calipari may not be the most loyal guy in the world, but it's doubtful he's going to leave UK after that dumpster fire of a season. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't see that happening at all. Calipari may not be the most loyal guy in the world, but it's doubtful he's going to leave UK after that dumpster fire of a season. 

it would happen if he has no choice.  remember, kentucky fans are arrogant enough to beleive it is their birthright to be the national champions every year and god forbid they not only dont win the championship, they dont even finish 500 or play in the tourney.   patience is not kentucky's strong point and the rich boosters are selfish enough to think they can find better all the time.    so  the pressure might be so high that calipari just takes the lesser path and moves on.   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it would happen if he has no choice.  remember, kentucky fans are arrogant enough to beleive it is their birthright to be the national champions every year and god forbid they not only dont win the championship, they dont even finish 500 or play in the tourney.   patience is not kentucky's strong point and the rich boosters are selfish enough to think they can find better all the time.    so  the pressure might be so high that calipari just takes the lesser path and moves on.   

The talking heads,and one was a Kentucky based reporter felt it was more of a new challenge. What more can I do at UK. I agree he can’t be thrilled at last season.  Again their conclusion was Maybe. 

Calipari is going to leave sooner rather than later.  

I think the microscope gets tiresome for him and this year he made a lot of high profile mistakes not having to do with on court play.  His Booster base also has very different views from the media that fawn over him and his prospective players.  The two sides were very at odds this season.  Also the ongoing one and done fatigue of the fan base.

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) Moser does. Word on the street is he wanted the Marquette job, and, he thought he'd get it. He may just stay now. 

One particular Marquette booster, and small group there, have long been fascinated with Shaka Smart, whom they thought they were hiring in 2014. Many signs pointed to Moser there, but once they knew they could get Shaka, they went that direction.

I'm also interested if Dennis Gates gets scooped up this time, or if it takes another year for him to go Power 5/Big East. Marquette was pretty determined to get someone with Head Coaching experience, especially higher levels, because Wojo didn't have that. They want as quick of a build as possible.

We'll see.

I agree with Torch and others who believe that Calipari is tiring. And will be gone sooner than later.  Also agree that the Kentucky fan base and boosters are unique and demanding as BRoy points out. Even when they were on top and winning, their boosters were complaining about their  turnover of their roster and having to learn new names. I don’t believe 6 or 7 will be first round NBA picks this year. When he goes, though, I see him stepping down and taking time off rather than going immediately to another job  

And I am reminded, because the school at issue is Texas, that their boosters were certain that they could and would lure Nick Saban to Austin 4 years ago by throwing around their ridiculous booster money. Money can buy everything and who would ever turn them down?  Well, 2 National  Championships later since then, Nick is still at Alabama with his eyes set on another this year. 

26 minutes ago, courtside said:

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) Moser does. Word on the street is he wanted the Marquette job, and, he thought he'd get it. He may just stay now. 

One particular Marquette booster, and small group there, have long been fascinated with Shaka Smart, whom they thought they were hiring in 2014. Many signs pointed to Moser there, but once they knew they could get Shaka, they went that direction.

I'm also interested if Dennis Gates gets scooped up this time, or if it takes another year for him to go Power 5/Big East. Marquette was pretty determined to get someone with Head Coaching experience, especially higher levels, because Wojo didn't have that. They want as quick of a build as possible.

We'll see.

Speaking of arrogant boosters with high demands and unreasonable expectations,  Marquette got what they deserve: Shaka Smart.  Enjoy. 

40 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

If only there was a Marquette message board 

You could just post a list of things that trigger you. 

Loyola doesn’t. Moser doesn’t. Texas doesn’t. Utah doesn’t. Oklahoma doesn’t etc...and many of these are ex SLU assistants, Jensen, Moser, and ex SLU opponents, Smart (That Blue Out game was probably the loudest Chaifetz game I have been to)...in the Coaching Carousel thread. Wait until we discuss other schools, Women’s Coaches etc...

CBFan likes this

what triggers me is fans of other programs coming here and boring us with their program "highlights" when we couldnt care less to hear about them

18 minutes ago, courtside said:

Loyola doesn’t. Moser doesn’t. Texas doesn’t. Utah doesn’t. Oklahoma doesn’t etc...and many of these are ex SLU assistants, Jensen, Moser, and ex SLU opponents, Smart (That Blue Out game was probably the loudest Chaifetz game I have been to)...in the Coaching Carousel thread. Wait until we discuss other schools, Women’s Coaches etc...

I put that clown on ignore years ago I suggest you do the same.

Your rebuttal to his comment was fair and a good point I guess that is why he rated it as a troll.

You are a very good poster on this site and I encourage you to post as you always have.

I play golf with a big time UK fan. He's not a big dollar booster but does send them donations. He's been tired of Calipari for the last 3-4 years. It's due to the constant rotating door of players. He considers himself like most UK fans that are tired of not knowing who the players are without a program in hand. He wants a return to the old days where players STAY and grow. Both UK and Duke are proving the one and done formula isn't really the magic potion everyone thought back in the day. You've basically got talented children playing against experienced grown men. It's really only worked for UK one time, the Davis team, but they had a SR who kept the kiddies focused. 

Wouldn't surprise me if a couple of big time UK supporters stepped up and paid Cal's exit fee. Although, it would be a big amount, as he had a long term contract extension just two or three seasons ago. I seem to recall where Calimari said the extension would take him to the end of his career, which implies he expected to retire at UK. This train wreck of a season, however, may have Big Blue Nation rethinking the program's direction. 

27 minutes ago, courtside said:

16 of your last 20 posts have to do with Marquette. Like I said you are on the wrong message board. 

thetorch likes this

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I play golf with a big time UK fan. He's not a big dollar booster but does send them donations. He's been tired of Calipari for the last 3-4 years. It's due to the constant rotating door of players. He considers himself like most UK fans that are tired of not knowing who the players are without a program in hand. He wants a return to the old days where players STAY and grow. Both UK and Duke are proving the one and done formula isn't really the magic potion everyone thought back in the day. You've basically got talented children playing against experienced grown men. It's really only worked for UK one time, the Davis team, but they had a SR who kept the kiddies focused. 

Wouldn't surprise me if a couple of big time UK supporters stepped up and paid Cal's exit fee. Although, it would be a big amount, as he had a long term contract extension just two or three seasons ago. I seem to recall where Calimari said the extension would take him to the end of his career, which implies he expected to retire at UK. This train wreck of a season, however, may have Big Blue Nation rethinking the program's direction. 

Well said. As mentioned, I have heard similar. Makes sense. But Calipari wasn’t always this way. Same w Duke.  And Calipari can (and should) change his approach abit. Coach K certainly will. Recruit some 4 year role players and not just put together All Star teams. Share the wealth abit.

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

16 of your last 20 posts have to do with Marquette. Like I said you are on the wrong message board. 

Lol. That's some nice spin there. 

All of my last 15 posts (I only went back 15) were about SLU Women's Soccer, Transfers, recruiting, Coaches during coaching changes/searches, all of which had a SLU connection, among several other things. I post about many SLU sports. 

It's interesting that you have posted recently about Loyola, Moser, etc...which doesn't bother me in any way.

I very rarely start threads. So there is already a topic and discussion in a thread when I post.

As long as there is a Coaching Carousel Thread, I will post in it at times. Any coach, Men or Women. What did you think of Aari McDonald's performance last night for Arizona? What a player at both ends? Adia Barnes, her husband, and staff have done such a great job there. I highly recommend their Regional final game vs Indiana Monday night. 

But Marquette triggers you so let's see...hmm. oh I have one...it's pretty interesting that three Marquette assistants were able to get head coaching jobs while Wojo was there, and yet, things didn't work out for him. Brett Nelson (Holy Cross) Stan Johnson (Loyola Marymount) Dwayne "DK" Killings (Albany) What do you think of Killings' hire of seven year Vermont assistant Hamlet Tibbs? John Becker has had a lot of success there. 

Maybe catch up in the SLU Women's soccer game today, or catch the SLU Men's game tonight. 

Just now, A10Ref said:

Mike Woodson to IU... don’t hate the hire don’t love it

Thad Matta also being hired as Associate AD of basketball is key here. Woodson can coach, but by himself at 63 with no college experience wasn't going to work. 

Matta before running into physical health problems was very good.

2 Final Fours

2 Elite 8's

2 Sweet 16's.

5 Regular Season Big Ten Titles

2 Atlantic 10 Regular Season Titles

1 MCC Regular Season Title

24 NCAA wins

He's only 53 slightly older than Moser.

Add a couple of other strong staff hires and it could be interesting.

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Thad Matta also being hired as Associate AD of basketball is key here. Woodson can coach, but by himself at 63 with no college experience wasn't going to work. 

Matta before running into physical health problems was very good.

2 Final Fours

2 Elite 8's

2 Sweet 16's.

5 Regular Season Big Ten Titles

2 Atlantic 10 Regular Season Titles

1 MCC Regular Season Title

24 NCAA wins

He's only 53 slightly older than Moser.

Add a couple of other strong staff hires and it could be interesting.

Similar to Martelli helping Juwan