Coaching Carousel

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Never thought I’d ever say it, but the SEC is a better basketball conference than the Big XII. KU and Texas were usually the best. Oklahoma also was really good.  Then Mizzou and K-State had their turn. In contrast, Kentucky dominated the SEC - except for some Florida teams.  Not anymore.
LSU, UT, Auburnn, Arkansas, Mizzou and now Alabama have stepped up. Why would Oats leave Bama for Texas and the Big XII?  Answer:  he wouldn’t 

If you're talking about who has the better teams at the top of the conference the Big 12 beats the SEC  with 7 teams in the Net top 40 while the SEC has 5 in the top 40.  Overall though the SEC is stronger top to bottom this year with TAMU as their lowest ranked at 150. The Big 12 has KSt 183 and Iowa St 232 dragging it down

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Shaka was an awesome mid-major coach. Until this season, he was horrible at Texas.

He took over a perennial NCAA program and and damn near drove it into the ditch.  It's hard to finish below .500 in the Big 12 when over half of your rotation consists of top 50 players but somehow he managed it three seasons in a row.  Then he pulled a rabbit out of the hat this year and appeared to save his job.  Unfortunately, Shaka put himself right back on the hot seat with a tournament loss to an in-state team that did not have one player who would even make the roster at Texas.

The Big East is not what it was.  Maybe he can make it work there.

Lets see Nova won the Championship in 2016 and 2018...we're only in 2021 and there was no Champion in 2020. Hardly seems like the Big East is sinking to me yet.

2 hours ago, Schasz said:

Lets see Nova won the Championship in 2016 and 2018...we're only in 2021 and there was no Champion in 2020. Hardly seems like the Big East is sinking to me yet.

The Big East is a quality conference.  But It's easier to finish top 4 in the Big East than it is the Big 12.   So maybe Shaka will have more success there.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Shaka was an awesome mid-major coach. Until this season, he was horrible at Texas.

He took over a perennial NCAA program and and damn near drove it into the ditch.  It's hard to finish below .500 in the Big 12 when over half of your rotation consists of top 50 players but somehow he managed it three seasons in a row.  Then he pulled a rabbit out of the hat this year and appeared to save his job.  Unfortunately, Shaka put himself right back on the hot seat with a tournament loss to an in-state team that did not have one player who would even make the roster at Texas.

The Big East is not what it was.  Maybe he can make it work there.

Marquette sees someone that has made 8 out of his last 10 NCAA’s. And in those NCAA’s, many were 1 point, 2 point types of games. (He lost all of them by a combined 8 points) He finished 3rd twice in Big 12 and 4th in six seasons and win a conference tourney. His NCAA seeds were 3,5,6,7 etc...pretty tough league (Big 12). So they see him as someone that can turn the corner with NCAA results. His staff will be interesting. He had six top 20 recruiting classes, several top six classes. He’s only 43.

Let’s look at KenPom:

39, 70, 36, 25, 61, 28. .....Four that were good/good enough, and two that were not good enough.

Rick Barnes was great at Texas, but even he only had one winning league record in his final four seasons at Texas. (24,41,94,32 KenPom)

The other options for Marquette were Dennis Gates, Porter Moser and Craig Smith. They chose Smart. We’ll see.

I'm speculating that Texas waived the buy out too.

The team would look all world then next game go 4:35 without a bucket.  I went to Madison Square Garden 2019 hoping to see UT take care of business vs Georgtown to face Duke but they got lambasted by 16 points. Only to turn around and spank Cal in the consolation game.

Jarret Allen, MO Bamba, Jaxson Hayes no NCAA wins vs mid-majors in each 1st round.  Texas fans are happy Marq gave them an assist on this one.

13 hours ago, wgstl said:

If I’m beard, I’m staying imo. Give it 2 more years and TT is currently a better program with less pressure than UT. 

When he went on that final 4 run, I read an article which made it sound like TTU was near his home area, or at least, he fits the West TX lifestyle. From reading it, I would be surprised if he ever leaves.

15 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The team would look all world then next game go 4:35 without a bucket.  I went to Madison Square Garden 2019 hoping to see UT take care of business vs Georgtown to face Duke but they got lambasted by 16 points. Only to turn around and spank Cal in the consolation game.

Jarret Allen, MO Bamba, Jaxson Hayes no NCAA wins vs mid-majors in each 1st round.  Texas fans are happy Marq gave them an assist on this one.

Allen was a decent college player. Bamba, and Hayes stunk. They were drafted high on potential but they stink in the league. They will be lucky to get 2nd contracts. French is a better player than they were.

Smart recruited well, rankings wise, but poorly overall. Mo Bamba looks good on paper but he won't be actually good until his 6th season in the nba. That's the trap at texas. You get highly ranked but not high impact players. He's better off recruiting top 200 guys than top 50.

15 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Marquette donors are paying Wojo’s buyout. Marquette and Texas reached a deal where Marquette doesn’t pay any of Shaka’s. Shaka is likely to be making less $ at Marquette than Texas. I would think it would have a 2 in front instead of a 3.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

That's the trap at texas. You get highly ranked but not high impact players. He's better off recruiting top 200 guys than top 50.

I agree those guys aren't great in the NBA the were mostly drafted on potential. They were raw, athletes.   Greg Brown this year's 1 and done is pretty good though.   Shaka failed to capitalize on the talent.   Texas should've imposed their will on undersized Abilene Christian, 6'10 Jericho Sims only got 1 FG in the 2nd half they shut him down.   A good coach will have Texas winning.  There's a lot of interest.  It's being reported that Beard will interview.   My $ is on him.   A lot of fans want him Musselman or Ivey.  One Kentucky source speculated Cal might be interested.   I doubt that,  Texas Athletic Department is a leader in getting coaches raises at their current job. 

Who's the most likely at Indiana?  I know their dream is Stevens but I think that's unlikely.   Moser?  Matta? I saw a site mention ol Calbert Chaney. 

40 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I agree those guys aren't great in the NBA the were mostly drafted on potential. They were raw, athletes.   Greg Brown this year's 1 and done is pretty good though.   Shaka failed to capitalize on the talent.   Texas should've imposed their will on undersized Abilene Christian, 6'10 Jericho Sims only got 1 FG in the 2nd half they shut him down.   A good coach will have Texas winning.  There's a lot of interest.  It's being reported that Beard will interview.   My $ is on him.   A lot of fans want him Musselman or Ivey.  One Kentucky source speculated Cal might be interested.   I doubt that,  Texas Athletic Department is a leader in getting coaches raises at their current job. 

Who's the most likely at Indiana?  I know their dream is Stevens but I think that's unlikely.   Moser?  Matta? I saw a site mention ol Calbert Chaney. 

Musselman would be a much better fit at Texas than Beard. Beard would run into similar issues as Shaka with his scheme not fitting the program and recruiting profile.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Saw that too. Had me scratching my head. Of course, he could call on Crews for advice. Still would not be surprised to see IU take a shot at Pitino. The Hoosiers want a winner and they want it right now. Who better to give them an immediate fix? 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Should add to the above, Stevens would be a grand slam. Does anyone have any idea if he's become disenchanted with the Pros? Boston also is likely becoming a little antsy about not having a championship team for this long. 

I take comfort in the fact that (knock on wood) the Blues broke Boston sports  and they’ll be reeling for awhile.

32 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Should add to the above, Stevens would be a grand slam. Does anyone have any idea if he's become disenchanted with the Pros? Boston also is likely becoming a little antsy about not having a championship team for this long. 

I don't know that he is thinking he's had enough of the NBA as it might be Boston losing some faith in him. Read recent article surmising that when thinking about the IU job. This article said if he left the Celts job there could be as many as a half dozen NBA teams interested in making Stevens their HC.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Stevens has no interest in college coaching. 

Indiana went after Stevens and Holtman. Both turned them down. They put Beilien on the back burner. Beard and Musselman won't take the job. The booster who paid of Miller apparently wants an Indiana native son. So Keith Smart & Chesney are being mentioned but I think Mike Woodson takes the job.  

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Indiana went after Stevens and Holtman. Both turned them down. They put Beilien on the back burner. Beard and Musselman won't take the job. The booster who paid of Miller apparently wants an Indiana native son. So Keith Smart & Chesney are being mentioned but I think Mike Woodson takes the job.  

What’s Lawrence Frank doing these days?

I don’t think Alford is a great coach. I don’t think he is a bad coach, just not great. That said, I actually think he would be super successful at Indiana.  His presence could fix a lot of things that have been wrong with Indiana since the end of the Knight era.

36 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I think Boynton is the frontrunner at Texas.

I'm not sure your basis for this,  he's been mentioned but there's at least 1 report that Beard is the 1st choice (Mav's beat reporter Brad Townsend).  Horns247 reporting that Beard will be interviewed. They have to wait until 1 April when Beard's buy out drops $1mil. If I were going to pull another B12 coach besides Beard,  I'd go for Drew over Boynton.