Coaching Carousel

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think programs could get around the staff caps by hiring these people as associate AD’s.

Giacoletti came to SLU on this kind of arrangement originally. "assistant to the head coach" and you have to sit behind the bench. 

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

NCAA football calls the extra coaches “analysts” and they coach the coaches as they are not allowed on the field to with the players. Instead, they watch from above, from their own practice film and game film and by scouting other teams. 

Interestingly, it appears some basketball teams are doing the same thing. Barry Hinson is an “Analyst” for Oklahoma State.

Barry Hinson is currently an "Analyst" at Oklahoma State. Dayton has a "Special Assistant to the Head Coach & Recruiting Coordinator". The "Director of Basketball Operations" role can be a former/experienced coach. UNC even has an "Assistant Director of Operations". Plenty of opportunities for adding experience without technically add a coach.

Mason bringing in English will immediately help their recruiting prospects. Former (briefly) NBA player. Young. Exciting hire for the school... I think this could easily bring them back to relevance in the league and with all of the available transfers it might be sooner than later. 

AGB91 likes this

On 3/18/2021 at 1:32 PM, tarheelbilliken said:

I think your right. I be a lttle leery on taking the Fordham job.

I always thought Dereck Whittenberg was a pretty good coach for Fordham. He probably was the last one to give Fordham a better than .500 A10 record in several seasons. Fordham fires him, now have a revolving door of failed coaches. The best Whittenberg can get is Assoc AD job at his alma mater NC State. No doubt a big hit on a HC salary.

Whittenberg was 3-25 in his last full year in the Bronx.  Started out the 2009-2010 season 1-4 and was fired.  He took over a bad team and he did lead some respectable teams.  There were rumblings of some personal, non-criminal, non-sexual, issues, but I shouldn't repeat their nature as they aren't verified.  

At NC State, he got let moved from Assistant Coach to University Community Relations, so he's not that connected to the basketball program anymore.  

Edited by someoneelse
to clarify
thatskablamo likes this

1 hour ago, someoneelse said:

Whittenberg was 3-25 in his last full year in the Bronx.  Started out the 2009-2010 season 1-4 and was fired.  He took over a bad team and he did lead some respectable teams.  There were rumblings of some personal, non-criminal, non-sexual, issues, but I shouldn't repeat their nature as they aren't verified.  

At NC State, he got let moved from Assistant Coach to University Community Relations, so he's not that connected to the basketball program anymore.  

I’m sure being one of Valvano’s sons can only help when he can give recruits “tours of the university.” Regardless that recruits now couldn’t pick Terry Gannon from Rich Gannon, having that nostalgic feel of a championship winner certainly doesn’t hurt.

That’s like AB or LH working for Universitas

23 hours ago, BJK said:

Mason bringing in English will immediately help their recruiting prospects. Former (briefly) NBA player. Young. Exciting hire for the school... I think this could easily bring them back to relevance in the league and with all of the available transfers it might be sooner than later. 

Do you believe there is a correlation between playing in the NBA being a great recruiter and winning at a mid-level program with little recent success?

It could or it could not, that old 50/50 issue.  I don't know who Kim English is and I doubt most kids today would know of a journeyman NBA player (well, I do know a little about who Kim English is).  But he did a good job in recruiting at Tennessee so that should transfer to Mason.  Can he coach guy sin games?  That would be interesting to see.  

Paulsen was never able to get a floor general point guard once Otis Livingstone left.  And Otis was more a shooting guard than a PG so Paulsen never really had an engineer.  He had some nice players at Mason but they could never mesh together.  Now, except Jordan Miller, they are all gone.  English has to start from scratch.  

I think Mason is a capable program within the A10.  Not recently however.  They have a nice campus.  A great location in suburban DC.  And a very nice arena well above the dreg standards of La Salle, Duquesne, Fordham and even Siegel.  They have a great pep band but rarely fill the arena ... much like us.  The right coach can make it work there.  

On 3/24/2021 at 8:43 AM, Taj79 said:

Kim English to Mason as HC.

Kimmie is probably a pretty good guy and I'm sure I'd be happy with him as my coach if I was GM. But he's still got a lot of Mizzou stink on him and I won't forget he basically told a local radio station that he/they thought of SLU as their little brother when asked a question about playing us. Payback will be fun.

ACE likes this

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Kimmie is probably a pretty good guy and I'm sure I'd be happy with him as my coach if I was GM. But he's still got a lot of Mizzou stink on him and I won't forget he basically told a local radio station that he/they thought of SLU as their little brother when asked a question about playing us. Payback will be fun.

didn't Kim have some harsh words about mizzou once he was done playing? Idk why this sounds familiar 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

didn't Kim have some harsh words about mizzou once he was done playing? Idk why this sounds familiar 

That sounds vaguely familiar. I think he was upset with how Haith was treated while there.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Typically I really have no strong feelings either way about Mason, but for me the good thing about this hire is it will bring some healthy hate into it. Yes, Kimmie was on radio about a week before his bunch laid one of the biggest turds in NCAA history when they went down to Norfolk and called us "little brother." That same day, "little brother" beat Memphis and advanced.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I was surprised he went into coaching. He was the leading scorer of a team, but constantly seemed like he was at odds with his coach. Seemed like a difficult person to coach. Who knows beyond that, but just not the calm, cerebral basketball mind who excels later as a coach. He had personality, so I bet he can recruit, we will see about the rest.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I was surprised he went into coaching. He was the leading scorer of a team, but constantly seemed like he was at odds with his coach. Seemed like a difficult person to coach. Who knows beyond that, but just not the calm, cerebral basketball mind who excels later as a coach. He had personality, so I bet he can recruit, we will see about the rest.

I know perception can vary greatly, but I always thought he was perceived as a cerebral leader. Admittedly, I try to avoid Mizzou as much as possible, especially back then because they were actually good.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

He must have had a good rapport with Haith who he played for his senior year and gave him his first coaching job. 

Kim English was the Vols Asst. who was instrumental in them signing 5 star PG Kennedy Chandler. I've watched film on him and that kid is really impressive. I would not be surprised at all if Kim English is successful in turning around the fortunes at George Mason.

Pat Kelsey to Charleston? Just a slight move up, although I'm seeing his salary will about double with the move. He's also moving from the outskirts of Charlotte on the SC side to Charleston, which is a much better place to live.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Kruger is one of the best coaches of the last 40 years. Took four different programs to the the Sweet 16, 3 of those to the Elite 8 and two to the Final Four.  As a player he won BIg 8 conference player of the year and played in two Elite Eights.

Bizziken likes this

Indiana

Marquette

and now Oklahoma Land Thieves

All need coaches those are some pretty big programs (Utah too).

I keep expecting to see Shaka Smart fired at Texas any day now but he's owed $7.5mil for the remaining 2 years. 

During his playing career Kim English always stuck me as a guy who would go into broadcasting.  I feel like that was always mentioned during games by the broadcasters.  He seemed to be affable and articulate.  Those qualities help with coaching & recruiting as well, but obviously a lot more goes into coaching.

Kudos to George Mason for taking a chance like this instead of going with a guy who has had marginal success at a lower level (Paulsen) or a Power 5 re-tread (Hewitt) since neither of those worked out for them.