Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:
3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Miller has a $10 million buyout clause. Heavy coin in this environment. 

Expand  

10+ million to go away. That's just insane. It was covered by boosters though. I read that if they'd have waited a year,  it would "only" be 3.5 million.

Good hire for them. He's a young guy who knows the ACC and can recruit, although CofC fans are not losing sleep. They thought he could do much better in the CAA than he did. I really thought the BC AD would go after Schmidt, but who knows. Maybe Schmidt told them he loves living in the Arctic Circle, and he's got a powerhouse team returning next year.  

I thought BC would go for a bigger splash than Grant with guys like Mosser and Schmidt out there in the mids. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Good hire for them. He's a young guy who knows the ACC and can recruit, although CofC fans are not losing sleep. They thought he could do much better in the CAA than he did. I really thought the BC AD would go after Schmidt, but who knows. Maybe Schmidt told them he loves living in the Arctic Circle, and he's got a powerhouse team returning next year.  

I thought BC would go for a bigger splash than Grant with guys like Mosser and Schmidt out there in the mids. 

I'm not sure bottom feeder high-majors are considered attractive destinations for top mid-major coaches at this point.  This isn't 2001.

billiken_roy likes this

Speaking of the carousel, I read an article about Pitino in the NY Post. They  intimated that Slick Rick was looking for a ticket back to the big time. Some teams mentioned were UCLA, IU (if they fired Archie which they've now done), and ND. Rick said last year he would be content to finish out his career at Iona. Liked the small college atmosphere. Right. This guy lives for the bright lights of Broadway. Still think Fordham made a mistake by not hiring him, but they probably knew he wouldn't stay put for long. 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not sure bottom feeder high-majors are considered attractive destinations for top mid-major coaches at this point.  This isn't 2001.

I know BC's struggled in recent years, but they're not like Fordham. They don't like being bottom feeders. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Deep breath from Olean 

I don't get that. Unless Schmidt indicated I'm not available. I'm sure BC's contract would have been quite nice and would have given him a golden parachute if did not work out. Also, he's a BC pedigree. Good for St Bona.

2 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I don't get that. Unless Schmidt indicated I'm not available. I'm sure BC's contract would have been quite nice and would have given him a golden parachute if did not work out. Also, he's a BC pedigree. Good for St Bona.

I think if this conversation is after next season, there may be a better chance. I think I’d stay no matter what with what he has coming back. If they add a high end transfer or two they’re a preseason top 20 type team

CBFan and MusicCityBilliken like this

i could see indiana taking a run at pitino.  they put up with decades of booby just to win, i am sure a few potential indiscretions by pitino is nothing.   

9 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Chicago Sun Times listed candidates for the  DePaul job , mentioned Ford 

I read their list. The only tie in for Travis would be their new AD comes from UK. A lot of HC"s and AC's listed before they get to Ford. They even listed Cuonzo, who I doubt would leave Mizzery for DePaul, and doubt DePaul would offer him enough $$$ over his $3mm salary. 

Moser seems to be the natural for the job. Also, the Knicks AC, Payne, has close ties to their new AD. Then they go on to list a bunch of guys with Chicago roots. The two things RuePaul has going for it is the very fertile recruiting grounds in their backyard, and they're in the Beast. That would make it attractive for anyone moving up from a lower level program. But again, the article listed a bunch of guys ahead of Ford. The one interesting item in the story was that Calipari would recommend Payne replace him at UK. 

if i was porter, i would resist.    unless he is just looking for a short big payday.   seems like he has found a lifetime nice gig with Loyola where he can become the program legend and retire there and give his family a little stability.   plus, i doubt he is starving at Loyola as i am sure after the final four run he got rewarded nicely.   dont do it porter!