Coaching Carousel

There is general gamesmanship in all the numbers. Does stadium cost go to the team or athletic department or another part of the school?  What about cost of Chris May’s salary?  When a school booster travels with the team on their jet, is that an overall school expense or basketball team expense, etc, etc,, etc. 

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

There is general gamesmanship in all the numbers. Does stadium cost go to the team or athletic department or another part of the school?  What about cost of Chris May’s salary?  When a school booster travels with the team on their jet, is that an overall school expense or basketball team expense, etc, etc,, etc. 

I would think that a booster invited to fly with the team paid for it in some way or another through donations at various times - significant donations 

SLU_Lax likes this

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thank you for posting the link.

I hope Pestello is smart enough to increase the basketball budget.

Coach Ford has this team at the point the fans have been dreaming about.  Had it not been for Covid I believe the team revenue would have been up.

Protect the investment Freddy P.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I would think that a booster invited to fly with the team paid for it in some way or another through donations at various times - significant donations 

It is paid for many times over. It’s just a question if the expense is a basketball expense or general university expense. The numbers are a good indication of what is spent, I just wanted to note the numbers have some flexibility in them. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

It is paid for many times over. It’s just a question if the expense is a basketball expense or general university expense. The numbers are a good indication of what is spent, I just wanted to note the numbers have some flexibility in them. 

I found the figure of nearly $5 million of our $7.5 million as being salary to be rather high. Or higher than I expected in that I assume Coach Ford is making around $2 million or so?  Even $3 million? Who makes the other $2 million?  
And yes,figures can fluctuate from year to year and some programs will include expenses which others do not but we are spending nearly double that of the highest spending program from the Valley which is closer to Duquesne than us. 
Davidson had their nice run in the tourney as did George Mason and recently Loyola, we waited 50 years for the Blues to win the Stanley Cup and may have to wait awhile longer for our Billikens but I would rather compare ourselves to Marquette and the $11.8 million they are spending. 
https://marquettewire.org/3992372/tv/increased-mens-basketball-spending-a-product-of-travel-lease-agreements/

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I found the figure of nearly $5 million of our $7.5 million as being salary to be rather high. Or higher than I expected in that I assume Coach Ford is making around $2 million or so?  Even $3 million? Who makes the other $2 million?  
And yes,figures can fluctuate from year to year and some programs will include expenses which others do not but we are spending nearly double that of the highest spending program from the Valley which is closer to Duquesne than us. 
Davidson had their nice run in the tourney as did George Mason and recently Loyola, we waited 50 years for the Blues to win the Stanley Cup and may have to wait awhile longer for our Billikens but I would rather compare ourselves to Marquette and the $11.8 million they are spending. 
https://marquettewire.org/3992372/tv/increased-mens-basketball-spending-a-product-of-travel-lease-agreements/

Illinois's basketball budget is less than $11 million  and they are a top team in the top conference in America.  Marquette's return on investment is horrible.  

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article205147959.html

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Illinois's basketball budget is less than $11 million  and they are a top team in the top conference in America.  Marquette's return on investment is horrible.  

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article205147959.html

Exactly.

spending money does not equal success. At the same time success is a lot tougher if you are not in the ballpark and are being grossly outspent by your peers

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

With regards to Marquette, the lease agreement with the new Fiserv Forum ($520 Million facility) is more costly than the previous building listed in the article, the Bradley Center. (Revenue is also higher) They considered a new $120 Million Campus Arena instead, and had a naming sponsor, but decided against the project. Their initial lease at Fiserv Forum is 7 years. 

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Illinois's basketball budget is 10.4 million and they are a top team in the top conference in America.  Marquette's return on investment is horrible.  

2018 Marquette's Men and Women's  Basketball Revenue was just under $27 Million. (Total Athletics was $42 Million). Illinois had $21 Million Operating Revenue. (2019)

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

My guess is that Tate is the second highest paid person in the athletic department.  I think his first contract was in excess of $200,000 a year and he has only increased his salary since. Plus, he has added the associate head coach title.  I would assume that Stone is probably in the same pay range as Tate.  Stuen and Giacoletti are probably above $100,000 each.  Then you have Wilson and Nunez, too.  The men’s basketball program eats much of the $5 million.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is that Tate is the second highest paid person in the athletic department.  I think his first contract was in excess of $200,000 a year and he has only increased his salary since. Plus, he has added the associate head coach title.  I would assume that Stone is probably in the same pay range as Tate.  Stuen and Giacoletti are probably above $100,000 each.  Then you have Wilson and Nunez, too.  The men’s basketball program eats much of the $5 million.

Yep. I think you’re right. 

Compared to football with the indoor and  outdoor facilities, this shear numbers of players, coaches, trainers, medical staff, the equipment, the travel, the liability... if you get a nice gym and keep it updated and pay your head coach and assistants, you can be competitive every year...

-I saw a bit of many games on Saturday, one Vitale was doing and he said something about Richard Pitino being out at Minnesota, searching a Twin Cities paper has a headline that there are "plenty of candidates for Gophers job with Richard Pitino on the way out" - so it hasn't happened yet but seems to be an opening there on the way

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Indiana State makes it official, Greg Lansing's contract will not be renewed. 

I believe the ISU Athletic Department read on this board that Ford has sold his house and they will be making an overture for him to move to Terre Haute.

they can get Crews.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, courtside said:

2018 Marquette's Men and Women's  Basketball Revenue was just under $27 Million. (Total Athletics was $42 Million). Illinois had $21 Million Operating Revenue. (2019)

Boy that sounds high for their total revenue. They don't have FB, yet their other sports bring in $15mm? Do they have a team participating in the WWF we don't know about?