Coaching Carousel

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

If Indiana State fires their coach they will probably regret it in the end.

Does Indiana State really think they will start getting big time recruits to come there with a coaching change?

Lansing's contract expires March 31.  So he isn't being fired.  The renewal of his contract is what is up for discussion. Yes, a subtle difference.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have ESPN+ (and if you don't, why don't you?), this is an excellent overview of the current coaching landscape. There was so little movement last season given the lack of a postseason, and I'm curious how much of that cautious approach carries over to this season. I'm guessing if the postseason goes off relatively smoothly, it will feel more like a normal year with a bunch of changes.

Adman and Compton like this

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If you have ESPN+ (and if you don't, why don't you?), this is an excellent overview of the current coaching landscape. There was so little movement last season given the lack of a postseason, and I'm curious how much of that cautious approach carries over to this season. I'm guessing if the postseason goes off relatively smoothly, it will feel more like a normal year with a bunch of changes.

Hopefully Mark Schmidt stays in Olean and doesn't make the leap to Penn St. or BC. It'd be tough for any incoming coach to keep that program where it is.  

21 minutes ago, Compton said:

Hopefully Mark Schmidt stays in Olean and doesn't make the leap to Penn St. or BC. It'd be tough for any incoming coach to keep that program where it is.  

I wonder if he's not a Mark Few type. Content to stay in the small town w/ a high mid major program that he's developed into a solid program. One thing these coaches have to consider, ie be worried about, is a jump to a P5 program means you're diving into shark infested waters. Look at McKillop for another example. I know he's been offered jobs in the ACC and SEC (So. Carolina for one), yet he's stayed at Davidson where he's comfortable. Granted, he's older now and probably very content with not having to deal with the pressure a P5 job brings. There's a lot to be said for contentment and a whole lot less stress especially as one gets older.  

I don't have a read on Travis' mindset. But from what we hear, SLU's paying him a fair amount for a high mid major, and he appears to be deeply involved  not only coaching but promoting the program as well. He's still relatively a young man, though, and may have his sights set on a return to the bright lights the P5 offers. That said, I think it would take a really good situation to get him to leave at this point. Plus, until he wins big here, ie a sweet16 or better, he may not be the splash hire a P5 wants to make. Now, if UK came calling, all bets are off. I think he'd jump in a NY minute. 

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wonder if he's not a Mark Few type. Content to stay in the small town w/ a high mid major program that he's developed into a solid program. One thing these coaches have to consider, ie be worried about, is a jump to a P5 program means you're diving into shark infested waters. Look at McKillop for another example. I know he's been offered jobs in the ACC and SEC (So. Carolina for one), yet he's stayed at Davidson where he's comfortable. Granted, he's older now and probably very content with not having to deal with the pressure a P5 job brings. There's a lot to be said for contentment and a whole lot less stress especially as one gets older.  

I don't have a read on Travis' mindset. But from what we hear, SLU's paying him a fair amount for a high mid major, and he appears to be deeply involved  not only coaching but promoting the program as well. He's still relatively a young man, though, and may have his sights set on a return to the bright lights the P5 offers. That said, I think it would take a really good situation to get him to leave at this point. Plus, until he wins big here, ie a sweet16 or better, he may not be the splash hire a P5 wants to make. Now, if UK came calling, all bets are off. I think he'd jump in a NY minute. 

I have always wondered if a NY minute is shorter or longer than a Missouri minute. 

AGB91 likes this

With Schmidt, I have to wonder if next year will be his big send off year to greener pastures.  I mean he will return all five starters from this year's A10 regular season champions next year.  That alone should guarantee more national exposure.  It will also guarantee more pressure because I believe, as noted before, they really aren't very good.  But Schmidt could run a good season with all that back.  This season will invariably be negatively impacted with COVID.  Some coaches may not go due to that very reason alone.  

Schmidt does have ties to both Boston College and Penn State.  He played at BC from 1981 through 1985 and was an assistant at Penn State from 1991 to 1993.  Plus he is a Massachusetts native.  He has gone on record as saying being considered for BC is "just noise," which is again coach speak and a non-denial denial.  Others in the mix include former Michigan coach John Beilein, current Michigan assistant Howard Eisley, Ed Cooley of Providence and Porter Moser of Loyola.  Boston College is rated as one of the least desirable P5 landing spots one would ever want.  I got to believe Penn State isn't too far behind either.

7 hours ago, willie said:

I have always wondered if a NY minute is shorter or longer than a Missouri minute. 

7 hours ago, slu72 said:

Definitely shorter. 

7 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

NYC is implied in that concept. Not in the land of the lost beyond the finger lakes.

7 hours ago, almaman said:

exactly. a St Louis minute lot shorter than Silver Dollar City minute.

Considering that Travis has already coached the Minutemen, I think he'll be content where he is (at SLU).

almaman likes this

16 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

A New York Minute has a bunch of politicians killing your elders and groping your ladies.....sorry to get political but just damn........... 

Trump and Cuomo. Nice! A fair and balanced take!

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I am not a subscriber so I could not read the article.

Can you post a few points?

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am not a subscriber so I could not read the article.

Can you post a few points?

Sorry about that. I hate it when posters put up subscription links, and here I did it.  

Here are selected high points.

He could win the Missouri Valley Conference tournament this weekend, I guess. Maybe that would convince Indiana State to bring back Greg Lansing. Or maybe not. Maybe the school decided long ago that it would let Lansing go when his contract expired in 2020-21.

Whatever the case, word is spreading that this will be Lansing’s last season at Indiana State. If you’re thinking the timing looks strange, well, way to go. You’ve been paying attention.

Does Indiana State even care about basketball?

The thing is, Indiana State doesn’t even care about basketball. Not really. Not compared to the rest of the Missouri Valley Conference. Not compared, even, to how much Indiana State cares about football.

The Sycamores are throwing money at a Football Championship Series program – that’s what we used to called Division I-AA – and neglecting a basketball program trying to compete in an elite mid-major conference.

I have some financial figures to throw at you, to show how hard it is to do what Lansing is doing at Indiana State, though there's an easier way to say this. Something about turning chicken squat into chicken salad.

That’s what Lansing has done these past two years, and will do again next season unless Indiana State has completely lost its mind.

According to research by Jason Svoboda, a 2001 Indiana State alum who in 2007 created the most popular online Indiana State fan site – SycamorePride.com – the Sycamores spend less on basketball than anyone else in the Missouri Valley Conference. At $4.3 million, MVC leader Loyola doubled Indiana State’s $2.13 million investment according to the latest Equity in Athletics report, from 2018-19.

Indiana State’s investment in basketball that season was nearly $300,000 behind the No. 9 school in the 10-league Valley, Valparaiso’s $2.42 million.

Meanwhile, Indiana State spent twice as much on its FCS football program that year: $4.26 million. I like Curt Mallory, and think he's going to get football going at Indiana State. But check this out:

In its past three seasons, Indiana State football is 12-22 overall (.353 winning percentage), 8-16 in the Valley (.333).

In its past three seasons, Indiana State basketball is 47-37 overall (.560), 29-25 in the Valley (.534).

Half the investment. Nearly twice the results. With the best season yet coming next year.

Sure, Indiana State. Get rid of your basketball coach.

For the sake of argument, let’s take a really stupid position and see what that might look like. Let’s go ahead and say Indiana State chooses not to extend Greg Lansing’s contract. Let’s say he’s gone.

Know who else might be gone? Indiana State’s best young player in decades, sophomore Jake LaRavia, a 6-9, 230-pound point guard-slash-power forward out of Lawrence Central.

This isn’t about keeping any particular player. It’s about keeping this particular coach, who lands one or two Indiana All-Stars every year despite recruiting with an expiring guillotine, er, contract hanging over his head. It’s about keeping a coach who loves Terre Haute and is loved in return, a coach who has won more often at Indiana State (career winning percentage: .525) than anyone since Bill Hodges (.582 from 1978-82), and Hodges’ numbers are skewed by his 33-1 season with Larry Bird. Without Bird, Hodges was 34-47 at Indiana State (.420)

That’s what so many coaches do at Indiana State, a basketball school in name if not reality.

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Sorry about that. I hate it when posters put up subscription links, and here I did it.  

Here are selected high points.

He could win the Missouri Valley Conference tournament this weekend, I guess. Maybe that would convince Indiana State to bring back Greg Lansing. Or maybe not. Maybe the school decided long ago that it would let Lansing go when his contract expired in 2020-21.

Whatever the case, word is spreading that this will be Lansing’s last season at Indiana State. If you’re thinking the timing looks strange, well, way to go. You’ve been paying attention.

Does Indiana State even care about basketball?

The thing is, Indiana State doesn’t even care about basketball. Not really. Not compared to the rest of the Missouri Valley Conference. Not compared, even, to how much Indiana State cares about football.

The Sycamores are throwing money at a Football Championship Series program – that’s what we used to called Division I-AA – and neglecting a basketball program trying to compete in an elite mid-major conference.

I have some financial figures to throw at you, to show how hard it is to do what Lansing is doing at Indiana State, though there's an easier way to say this. Something about turning chicken squat into chicken salad.

That’s what Lansing has done these past two years, and will do again next season unless Indiana State has completely lost its mind.

According to research by Jason Svoboda, a 2001 Indiana State alum who in 2007 created the most popular online Indiana State fan site – SycamorePride.com – the Sycamores spend less on basketball than anyone else in the Missouri Valley Conference. At $4.3 million, MVC leader Loyola doubled Indiana State’s $2.13 million investment according to the latest Equity in Athletics report, from 2018-19.

Indiana State’s investment in basketball that season was nearly $300,000 behind the No. 9 school in the 10-league Valley, Valparaiso’s $2.42 million.

Meanwhile, Indiana State spent twice as much on its FCS football program that year: $4.26 million. I like Curt Mallory, and think he's going to get football going at Indiana State. But check this out:

In its past three seasons, Indiana State football is 12-22 overall (.353 winning percentage), 8-16 in the Valley (.333).

In its past three seasons, Indiana State basketball is 47-37 overall (.560), 29-25 in the Valley (.534).

Half the investment. Nearly twice the results. With the best season yet coming next year.

Sure, Indiana State. Get rid of your basketball coach.

For the sake of argument, let’s take a really stupid position and see what that might look like. Let’s go ahead and say Indiana State chooses not to extend Greg Lansing’s contract. Let’s say he’s gone.

Know who else might be gone? Indiana State’s best young player in decades, sophomore Jake LaRavia, a 6-9, 230-pound point guard-slash-power forward out of Lawrence Central.

This isn’t about keeping any particular player. It’s about keeping this particular coach, who lands one or two Indiana All-Stars every year despite recruiting with an expiring guillotine, er, contract hanging over his head. It’s about keeping a coach who loves Terre Haute and is loved in return, a coach who has won more often at Indiana State (career winning percentage: .525) than anyone since Bill Hodges (.582 from 1978-82), and Hodges’ numbers are skewed by his 33-1 season with Larry Bird. Without Bird, Hodges was 34-47 at Indiana State (.420)

That’s what so many coaches do at Indiana State, a basketball school in name if not reality.

Thank You HP, it is a surprise that an Indiana school does not take their basketball program seriously but will invests so much into football in a lower division conference.

Indiana State has had a decent program as far as wins and losses in basketball and it seems to me a little more money in the program could result in winning the MVC.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks. Close to what I had thought.

$7.4 million for SLU

4.3 million for Loyola  

2.1 million for Indiana State

And I just looked up, Duquesne spends $3.9 million 

Obviously, the figures will fluctuate over time but here are some figures for the A10 by comparison

https://richmond.com/sports/college/numbers-game-check-out-di-men-s-basketball-budgets-around/article_d5934091-cf4e-5cce-acbe-ef8d373db4ad.html

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thanks. Close to what I had thought.

$7.4 million for SLU

4.3 million for Loyola  

2.1 million for Indiana State

And I just looked up, Duquesne spends $3.9 million 

Obviously, the figures will fluctuate over time but here are some figures for the A10 by comparison

https://richmond.com/sports/college/numbers-game-check-out-di-men-s-basketball-budgets-around/article_d5934091-cf4e-5cce-acbe-ef8d373db4ad.html

Wow.  It those A10 $$ are remotely true, they paint a strange picture.  Fordham mid pack and Davidson trailing.