Coaching Carousel

14 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

No offense, but ND can do alot better than Porter. And so can SLU should we have to have this conversation again 

This season included, how many coaches have had a better four season run than what Porter is on right now?

This is going to be his fourth straight season of 20 or more wins, his third outright or shared conference championship, he had a team that finished the year ranked 7th, a team currently ranked 22nd and has a Final Four appearance.  All that at a program that hadn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 33 years.

I am not sure what you consider a lot better, that ND could do if Brey or ND decided to move on.

DOC likes this

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This season included, how many coaches have had a better four season run than what Porter is on right now?

This is going to be his fourth straight season of 20 or more wins, his third outright or shared conference championship, he had a team that finished the year ranked 7th, a team currently ranked 22nd and has a Final Four appearance.  All that at a program that hadn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 33 years.

I am not sure what you consider a lot better, that ND could do if Brey or ND decided to move on.

Also important to consider he did it at a program that hadn’t been to the NCAA/NIT since 1984-1985. 

18 hours ago, brianstl said:

Look, if Porter can’t help them beat Alabama and bring home a football championship, then he is a bad hire from the Notre Dame faithful.

brianstl likes this

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Maybe Duke should get rid of Coach K as well and lock up Porter?  Are you hearing he will be the next coach at Kentucky?
Seriously though, you make some good arguments but Porter had a history before four years ago - he has been at Loyola for 10 years  And no doubt he learned alot and is a better coach having learned directly from Rick Majerus. At the same time, he was not a very impressive head coach for Illinois State and when he failed in the Valley. Now he is back in the Valley - not the ACC. And he never struck me as a good x’s and o’s coach. And head caoch in the ACC is a huge step up from the Valley. And how good of a national recruiter is he?  Notre Dame has traditionally recruited nationally. 

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Maybe Duke should get rid of Coach K as well and lock up Porter?  Are you hearing he will be the next coach at Kentucky?
Seriously though, you make some good arguments but Porter had a history before four years ago - he has been at Loyola for 10 years  And no doubt he learned alot and is a better coach having learned directly from Rick Majerus. At the same time, he was not a very impressive head coach for Illinois State and when he failed in the Valley. Now he is back in the Valley - not the ACC. And he never struck me as a good x’s and o’s coach. And head caoch in the ACC is a huge step up from the Valley. And how good of a national recruiter is he?  Notre Dame has traditionally recruited nationally. 

Wherever he goes he better insist the 100 year old nun is part of his contract. Without her he’s average at best. 

2 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

He had to build the program at Loyola and that takes time. It is sort of amazing that a guy you don’t think is good at the X’s and O’s coaches the best defense in the country according to Pomeroy’s rankings.  It is easier to recruit nationally when you are in the ACC and what Porter can recruit like a mutha is Chicago and the Midwest states where Notre Dame should be doing much better than they have on the recruiting trail.

20 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Wherever he goes he better insist the 100 year old nun is part of his contract. Without her he’s average at best. 

It's not just Sr. Jean at Loyola. Moser grew up near Chicago, played HS ball in the south suburban Catholic league, then at Creighton - a Jesuit school in the MVC - then eventually at SLU with Majerus (for whom the Jesuit connection was deep at Marquette, under Al McGuire) - and eventually coming home to Chicago. So it's not surprising that Moser is able to recruit well in Chicago, as he's able to sell the whole package, which he knows well. Maybe he could do that at ND, but Moser seems very well suited for the situation he's in. Also, how old are Moser's kids? His family probably has to think about stability for his kids.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He had to build the program at Loyola and that takes time. It is sort of amazing that a guy you don’t think is good at the X’s and O’s coaches the best defense in the country according to Pomeroy’s rankings.  It is easier to recruit nationally when you are in the ACC and what Porter can recruit like a mutha is Chicago and the Midwest states where Notre Dame should be doing much better than they have on the recruiting trail.

Yes. It’s easier to recruit better kids at better programs and in better conferences ... but then you have to play and go up against these other schools, players and coaches like Duke, Virginia, N Carolina, Wake Forest... not Drake, Indiana State and Bradley  so you better have better players  

You seem like a huge Porter fan. I am not. Will be interesting to watch things play out. 

I am not sure Porter wants to leave - he has a similar situation here at Ford.  Porter is much appreciated at Loyola plus his wife is from the Chicagoland area.  She was very happy to be going home.  He can leverage his situation for more money - they will pay him more than any other no name coach they get.  I wouldn't worry too much about Porter leaving - he may look around but that is only to increase his bargaining position with the school.

11 hours ago, Minerva N. Owl said:

It's not just Sr. Jean at Loyola. Moser grew up near Chicago, played HS ball in the south suburban Catholic league, then at Creighton - a Jesuit school in the MVC - then eventually at SLU with Majerus (for whom the Jesuit connection was deep at Marquette, under Al McGuire) - and eventually coming home to Chicago. So it's not surprising that Moser is able to recruit well in Chicago, as he's able to sell the whole package, which he knows well. Maybe he could do that at ND, but Moser seems very well suited for the situation he's in. Also, how old are Moser's kids? His family probably has to think about stability for his kids.

I know he has two sons in 10th and 12th grades who play on their high school team. He was on Frank's show a few days ago and mentioned that they're just getting to play some games, no fans allowed, and no post season tournaments in Illinois.

He also mentioned that before his arrival, Loyola had only 2 winning seasons in 30 years. I'd say they'll do everything they can to keep him. Correction: just checked and the Ramblers had 5 winning seasons in 30 years. Still not good.

Minerva N. Owl likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not sure Porter wants to leave - he has a similar situation here at Ford.  Porter is much appreciated at Loyola plus his wife is from the Chicagoland area.  She was very happy to be going home.  He can leverage his situation for more money - they will pay him more than any other no name coach they get.  I wouldn't worry too much about Porter leaving - he may look around but that is only to increase his bargaining position with the school.

I don't think he wants to leave either.  Was just pointing out that if he ever decides to leave, Notre Dame, whenever Brey retires, is a better gig than Depaul.  And South Bend is less than two hours away from Chicago.  The Mosers could make it work.

I'm not going to post much back and forth about Moser but I will say he has done well at Loyola. That is very difficult to dispute. (And he did well as an assistant at SLU)

Loyola has played in a league for 40 years, only one other coach has won a league for them. Moser is trying to do it 3 times in 4 seasons finishing 2nd the other time. That is dominating your league (MVC)

Loyola has made the NCAA's six times in school history. Prior to Moser they had made it once in the past 50 plus years. Moser will make it twice in a few seasons, and Final Fours count too.

It was mentioned that Loyola had just five winning seasons in the previous thirty.

It was also mentioned that Loyola is one of the best defensive efficiency teams in the country this year.

Even at Arkansas Little Rock, Moser improved a team that was nowhere near a top 100 Ken Pomeroy to top 100.

His name will pop up from time to time for certain types of positions, for various reasons because he has put himself in that position. Good for him. And if he ever did go to a school with more resources in a higher winning league, he would have the resources, staff, etc...to help elevate that program to another level. And he may or may not he successful. But he has certainly earned the discussion.

I'm not advocating for or against Moser to get any other position. But he has certainly done well enough to put himself in a position to possibly get other opportunities. I believe that would be difficult to dispute. 

He turned down St. John's and UNLV in recent years. We'll see.

billikenbill likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Face it ND is the premier Catholic school in the US. Not that religion will play a big part in their decision, ie they'd hire Satan if he promised them a nat'l championship, but I can see Porter under the dome, especially if Loyola makes any kind of run in the NCAA. And if ND came calling, I don't see how Loyola could match any offer the Irish would put on the table. 

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Face it ND is the premier Catholic school in the US. Not that religion will play a big part in their decision, ie they'd hire Satan if he promised them a nat'l championship, but I can see Porter under the dome, especially if Loyola makes any kind of run in the NCAA. And if ND came calling, I don't see how Loyola could match any offer the Irish would put on the table. 

It’s not 1989 anymore. ND doesn’t have that clout in sports these days, especially hoops

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

It’s not 1989 anymore. ND doesn’t have that clout in sports these days, especially hoops

Slow down, in 1989, Georgetown was the premier Catholic basketball team, followed by Villanova.

Look, if Porter Moser can coach football, then Notre Dame is the place to be for him.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

If Indiana State fires their coach they will probably regret it in the end.

Does Indiana State really think they will start getting big time recruits to come there with a coaching change?

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

If Indiana State fires their coach they will probably regret it in the end.

Does Indiana State really think they will start getting big time recruits to come there with a coaching change?

This sounds to me like there are other issues there besides win and losses. Just a guess. Could be something as benign as coach and AD butting heads.