Coaching Carousel

Before he and all UVA athletic department employees took a 20% pay cut, Brad’s base pay was $382,000.  He is being paid $305,609 with the pay cut. That doesn’t include bonuses. Darin Horn and Scott Nagy are the only Horizon League coaches with a higher salary than Brad would make without COVID.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brad turned down the Detroit job because he didn't think it was a good fit for him. He's a homebody and probably couldn't get comfortable figuring out where he'd live, where his kids would go to school, etc.

He threw his name in the ring for the Green Bay head coaching position this spring/summer - a Horizon League job - and didn't get it. Will Ryan, son of Bo Ryan, got the job and is currently 0-6. He's a Wisconsin native so I imagine this is one of the more attractive jobs for him; Wisconsin, Marquette, and Milwaukee are the only other D-I programs in the state and he's not going to get either of the first two. Pat Baldwin has been pretty mediocre at Milwaukee and is in his fourth season, so you never know.

47 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Virginia assistants all got a big salary bump when Bennett had his contract extended and instead of taking a increase in salary had the money redirected to assistants.

That’s right. Spread his last two pay bumps out to his staff. Soderburg would be a big loss, especially since their other top-tier assistant (Jason Williford) is likely to jump to a mid level program as well.

With Brad is pulling in that kind of coin as an assistant for Virginia, I’m not sure why he would leave for a HC paying significantly less.  I suppose for personal / family reasons he might like being back in Wisconsin.  However, he’s no longer a young gun AC looking to make a name for himself / bet on himself by taking the pay cut now to run his own program & springboard into a higher paying job down the road.  Even if Brad had success at a Horizon level school, I couldn’t see any big names going after him. Although it is crazy to me that he’s still only 58.  There are lot of guys still coaching into their 70s.

coaches are a different animal.  most sure dont lack confidence and all seem to think they are somewhat bullet proof and will win it all next year.  not that brad soderberg is that way.   i have no idea what his thoughts are.  

personally i think he is right where he should be.   i always look at people in the real world in businesses and think "well there is a person that was promoted once to much".   head coach for Brad is likely just "once too much".

ACE, kshoe and SLU_Lax like this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

With Brad is pulling in that kind of coin as an assistant for Virginia, I’m not sure why he would leave for a HC paying significantly less.  I suppose for personal / family reasons he might like being back in Wisconsin.  However, he’s no longer a young gun AC looking to make a name for himself / bet on himself by taking the pay cut now to run his own program & springboard into a higher paying job down the road.  Even if Brad had success at a Horizon level school, I couldn’t see any big names going after him. Although it is crazy to me that he’s still only 58.  There are lot of guys still coaching into their 70s.

-one word, ego

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

coaches are a different animal.  most sure dont lack confidence and all seem to think they are somewhat bullet proof and will win it all next year.  not that brad soderberg is that way.   i have no idea what his thoughts are.  

personally i think he is right where he should be.   i always look at people in the real world in businesses and think "well there is a person that was promoted once to much".   head coach for Brad is likely just "once too much".

This is a good post, but I will say that I did think Brad was a good coach and was initially disappointed when he was let go (not knowing who his replacement will be).  He was a good guy.  He was a good game coach.  He brought in good talent.  I thought his biggest weakness (as has been mentioned many times) is he just did not bring in enough good talent for good depth.  Ian and Lisch are still two of my favorite all-time Billikens.  I enjoyed watching TL as well (he just did not rise to all time favorite).  Luke Meyer was very easy to root for too.  Drejaj was fun.  I enjoyed his teams and enjoyed their games (Iowa in NIT was maybe the peak).  I am glad Brad is doing well and he deserves what he gets.  I will root for him wherever he may be coaching and at whatever level.

Of course 2 of the 3 coaches following Brad were better coaches.  Just for the sake of starting a debate, Grawer is still my "favorite" coach by whatever random rules I use to determine what goes into being the "favorite". 

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The Peter Principle

Billiken Rich likes this

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, courtside said:

Boston College has parted ways with Men's Basketball Head Coach Jim Christian.

They were more patient than I would have been. No reason for BC sucking as bad as they do. Lot of good talent in the NEast and playing in the ACC should make them very attractive. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

They were more patient than I would have been. No reason for BC sucking as bad as they do. Lot of good talent in the NEast and playing in the ACC should make them very attractive. 

BC has gotten what it deserves by firing Al Skinner after he made them a regular in the NCAA tournament.  The administration thought they could do better than making the dance over 50% of the time.  They haven't been relevant since.  Kids today don't even remember BC used to be a solid program.  They haven't been to the dance in 12 years.

CBFan, SLU_Lax and BilliesBy40 like this

Some of but not the only early names mentioned have been:

John Becker Vermont HC

Howard Eisley Michigan Assistant

Porter Moser Loyola Chicago HC

Becker has done well at Vermont, can build a program. Eisley is highly thought of both as a player on BC's 1994 Elite 8 team, and NBA, as well as for guard development, in particular point guards, and recruiting. 

Moser knows the AD, Pat Kraft from Loyola Chicago, which is a big reason he is in the discussion. 

Mark Schmidt at St. Bonaventure, James Jones at Yale. Others.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

St. Bonnie Coach Mark Schmidt played for the Eagles.  Do they have enough money to get him to leave Olean?  Would he want to go to that dumpster fire?

If you can make something happen and build a good team in Olean then he has to feel good, and BC should feel good, about him doing it in Boston.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

St. Bonnie Coach Mark Schmidt played for the Eagles.  Do they have enough money to get him to leave Olean?  Would he want to go to that dumpster fire?

Welp, that coaching change has now lost all of its intrigue. It will obviously be Schmidt. Sorry for the Bonnies.

As an adult, I am intrigued by the loyalty coaches have to their alma mater, when there is generally little to no reciprocity.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If I were Moser, I'd just wait for Mike Brey to retire from Notre Dame.  I doubt Brey gets renewed after this contract.  He's run out of steam.

-recently I asked a ND alum and booster about Brey and they said Brey is loved in South Bend and has a very good incoming recruiting class so his seat is not hot at this time, I can verify none of that, just what I was told

I think it would take an insane amount of money for Porter to leave Loyola for DePaul.  Porter is still relatively young in coaching years and will get chances at better situations than DePaul.  Plus, he has a good thing going at Loyola.  Even if all the seniors end up leaving the trio of sophomores and the two incoming Ivy League transfers is a nice core to regroup around.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If I were Moser, I'd just wait for Mike Brey to retire from Notre Dame.  I doubt Brey gets renewed after this contract.  He's run out of steam.

No offense, but ND can do alot better than Porter. And so can SLU should we have to have this conversation again