Coaching Carousel

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

while i like your thinking it is also nice to have that kind of cheerleader for the billikens out and about in the aau and high school ranks nudging kids to us.  

This is why it is just as important for SLU to develop future basketball coaches as it is for SLU to develop future professional players.  There are a lot of 1990s guys who are now coaching (Frazier, Justin Tatum, Claggett, Jamal Walker, etc.).  Hopefully some of the more recent guys get into coaching as well and continue that pipeline.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is why it is just as important for SLU to develop future basketball coaches as it is for SLU to develop future professional players.  There are a lot of 1990s guys who are now coaching (Frazier, Justin Tatum, Claggett, Jamal Walker, etc.).  Hopefully some of the more recent guys get into coaching as well and continue that pipeline.

And while they don’t coach both Bonner and Hughes are very supportive of the program and involved in the local basketball scene. Bonner stepping in last year to help out was awesome. It also told everyone that Ford has circled the wagons and Team Blue is real. 

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

while i like your thinking it is also nice to have that kind of cheerleader for the billikens out and about in the aau and high school ranks nudging kids to us.  

I have to agree with Roy.  Corey seems the type that probably does well with younger guys.  I wouldn't necessarily want him working with adults.  I haven't talked to him in almost 20 years, hopefully he has matured a lot in those years (most of us have).  My last interaction with him was in a pick up game at the Rec Center where he went full Bad Boys Dennis Rodman on Dave Ferguson and I for simply whipping his team's ass.  Again, in a pick up game.  The incident ended with us walking off the floor after about his 5th brutal forearm shiver.  He was clearly looking for a fight because of a game with absolutely no stakes whatsoever.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Yes. I am not aware of anyone in the community like this when Grawer and Spoon were on our sidelines.  Huge difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple outlets reporting including the Green Bay Press Gazette that Will Ryan, son of former Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan will be named next head coach at Green Bay (UWGB). He was chosen over three other finalists, which included former SLU head coach, and current Virginia assistant Brad Soderberg. 

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2020/06/06/uwgb-name-ryan-its-new-mens-basketball-coach/3158834001/

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Compton said:

Penny Hardaway signs 5 year, $12.25 million extension with Memphis. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30573601/penny-hardaway-agrees-5-year-extension-memphis-tigers

• 2021-2022 - $2.325m
  • 2022-2023 - $2.325m
  • 2023-2024 - $2.5m
  • 2024-2025 - $2.5m
  • 2025-2026 - $2.6m

How does this compare to TF compensation?

mhg

On 6/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, courtside said:

Multiple outlets reporting including the Green Bay Press Gazette that Will Ryan, son of former Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan will be named next head coach at Green Bay (UWGB). He was chosen over three other finalists, which included former SLU head coach, and current Virginia assistant Brad Soderberg. 

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/2020/06/06/uwgb-name-ryan-its-new-mens-basketball-coach/3158834001/

Didn't Soderberg turn down one of these Green Bay jobs when we fired him or am I confusing it with Detroit-Mercy?

5 hours ago, Compton said:

Penny Hardaway signs 5 year, $12.25 million extension with Memphis. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30573601/penny-hardaway-agrees-5-year-extension-memphis-tigers

• 2021-2022 - $2.325m
  • 2022-2023 - $2.325m
  • 2023-2024 - $2.5m
  • 2024-2025 - $2.5m
  • 2025-2026 - $2.6m

-granted he made $120mil in the league, not counting Lil Penny funds, I would have thought this would have been more

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Soderberg landed at Lindenwood after Biondi jettisoned him (over Levick's objections).

I know that but he spent time interviewing for a variety of jobs before he settled on Lindenwood and believe he turned down Detroit-Mercy.  The more I think about it I think he interviewed for one of the two schools in Green Bay but didn't get it.

Penny hasn't won anything outside of recruiting battles.  He is 48 and 27 over 2+ seasons with two fifth place AAC finishes.  Having said that, let's wait and see where all these big time recruiting wins gets him.

16 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I know that but he spent time interviewing for a variety of jobs before he settled on Lindenwood and believe he turned down Detroit-Mercy.  The more I think about it I think he interviewed for one of the two schools in Green Bay but didn't get it.

After SLU pushed him out the door in April 2007, Sodie had a brief layover as the AD at Loras College (DIII school in Iowa) starting in July 2008.  He had a history with Loras AC & then HC from 1987-1993.  He didn't do anything except help coach his kids from April 2007 to July 2008.  Detroit job opened up in 2008, so he turned that down in favor of the Loras AD job and not the Lindenwood job.  Then in May 2009 he was named HC at Lindenwood.  Stayed at Lindenwood until 2015 when he joined Tony Bennett's Virginia staff.

Here is an article about Sodie's post SLU years: https://madison.com/sports/columnists/mike_lucas/lucas-at-last-soderberg-gets-his-father-son-moment/article_ed864b2a-5fe9-11df-a747-001cc4c03286.html

cheeseman likes this

Brad wanted to continue being a D-1 Head Coach after SLU. He did get "a few nibbles" but didn't get the job. i.e.... lost out to Mike Jarvis at Florida Atlantic in 2008, etc...He enjoyed Lindenwood and, and he enjoys being an assistant at UVA. He still would like to be a D-1 Head Coach. (Hence the UWGB interest)

38 minutes ago, courtside said:

Brad wanted to continue being a D-1 Head Coach after SLU. He did get "a few nibbles" but didn't get the job. i.e.... lost out to Mike Jarvis at Florida Atlantic in 2008, etc...He enjoyed Lindenwood and, and he enjoys being an assistant at UVA. He still would like to be a D-1 Head Coach. (Hence the UWGB interest)

He deserves another shot. Not a bad coach just needed to recruit better. Hopefully he learned that at UVA. 

5 minutes ago, willie said:

He deserves another shot. Not a bad coach just needed to recruit better. Hopefully he learned that at UVA. 

Seems like he now has the resume for a crack at a coaching a Horizon or OVC team. He has had a winning record everywhere he's gone and now has dancing experience with UVA. 

Mid-Major Madness compiled a list of salaries last year.  Many of them they couldn't find information for, but Barone was making 187K at SIUE as of last year. 

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

As of four years ago, Brad was making 262K, so probably closer to 290K today.

http://www.sportsinfo.pro/MBBSurvey2017.html