Coaching Carousel

24 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Funny how sometimes a coach is just a good fit someplace. Seem's like he never really tried to play his brand of basketball at UT

A bunch of teams came after Smart after his success with VCU, and he spurned them all. Until TX came along. Why TX, dollars speak volumes. But other schools prior to TX were offering similar amounts in previous years. Shaka was a hot property. Well, he dipped his toe in the water and the water was boiling. Mids will give you a little more time to build your erector set than Majors. It's why coaches who have cheated thru out their careers feel comfortable at P5's and are invited back so quickly, eg Pearl and Sampson. They can restock overnight. Methods never questioned. Kind of a catch me if you can deal. Pitino will do the same at Iona. Much smaller stage, but if he's successful forget that, "I feel more comfortable at a small Catholic school with limited facilities." Garbage! If he wins two years w/ Iona, ie tourney bids, he's gone when a biggie comes a calling. Say, like BC. 

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Funny how sometimes a coach is just a good fit someplace. Seem's like he never really tried to play his brand of basketball at UT

Yes to you generally. As to Shaka and UT, I honestly have not followed and cannot say.  You may be right about not really trying his brand of basketball- if not , what is he thinking??
Generally, though. It simply gets harder and there is less room for error the higher level you go. All the athletes are so good, the opposing coaches so good... that minor mistakes get exposed and small flaws get enlarged 

I can't find anything on the web Re Marshall to TX. I'd be surprised if he left WSU, but TX would be tempting. I think he was the first choice when they hired Shaka. A lot of bigs have been after him over the years, but he's elusive. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

If you have really good sound guard play That system is not that hard to beat.  Same with Mike Anderson.  You’ll win a lot of games.  But when you go up against quality older guards that don’t rattle they’ll pick you apart.

slufanskip likes this

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/13/college-basketball-coaching-carousel/

One way to keep up with the changes. So far, no major openings. But a bunch of Mids are searching. It's a little behind as Pitino at Iona was not an IN. Neither had they caught up with the Brice Drew move either. 

As with all things today I think the carousel will move slowly and not that many pony seats will be open with the bigs. The bigs really drive this thing as they like to dip into the mid's for up and comers and that gets the ball rolling. We shall see. 

10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bryce Drew to Grand Canyon.  I'm so happy to have been so wrong wanting him over Travis Ford. Probably my dumbest take yet.

We got the right guy but wanting Bryce Drew was not necessarily a dumb take.  He's just not a high-major coach.  At that level you have to be a monster recruiter or very good at team preparation or some combination of the two.

brianstl and billiken_roy like this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We got the right guy but wanting Bryce Drew was not necessarily a dumb take.  He's just not a high-major coach.  At that level you have to be a monster recruiter or very good at team preparation or some combination of the two.

Ironically he recruited very well at Vandy. Landed two McDonalds All-Americans (Darius Garland and Simi Shittu), as well as another future first-rounder (Aaron Nesmith). Just couldn't win games, for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, NH said:

Ironically he recruited very well at Vandy. Landed two McDonalds All-Americans (Darius Garland and Simi Shittu), as well as another future first-rounder (Aaron Nesmith). Just couldn't win games, for whatever reason.

Shittu never really recovered from his injury prior to Vandy. Garland out for the year. Nesmith and Saben Lee are NBA players.

Jerry Stackhouse is elite with player development. Not just the bigger names on the team...but the improvement of Clevon Brown was significant for example before his injury.  He has helped turn Lee into an NBA level player. He also is good with x's and o's, lots of good NBA sets. They will need to recruit. But he is the type that just needs good enough players. He is still adjusting to college coaching. DJ Harvey and a few others will help because Nesmith is going NBA early.

Drew could go either way with regard to success at GCU. 

10 minutes ago, NH said:

Garland only played 5 games before he got injured.  Once you got past Garland, their guard corps was mediocre relative to the SEC.  They started losing games and the thing just snowballed.  

36 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bryce Drew to Grand Canyon.  I'm so happy to have been so wrong wanting him over Travis Ford. Probably my dumbest take yet.

I remember following Valpo’s NIT games to see if they’d lose and we could hire Drew, as someone here was suggesting that it was legit possibility that we’d hire him. Then, after we had waited long enough for me to think that we were holding out for Drew, the news that we were hiring Ford drops. I wasn’t thrilled at the time, and maybe Drew would’ve done well here, but I’m glad things turned out how they did.

Billiken Rich likes this

8 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I remember following Valpo’s NIT games to see if they’d lose and we could hire Drew, as someone here was suggesting that it was legit possibility that we’d hire him. Then, after we had waited long enough for me to think that we were holding out for Drew, the news that we were hiring Ford drops. I wasn’t thrilled at the time, and maybe Drew would’ve done well here, but I’m glad things turned out how they did.

For sure. I remember that period well. Was so excited to escape from the hell of Jim Crews.

I'm afraid to go look at how brutal I was to Coach Ford. Oh well, I guess. We are one big happy family now. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Me too, I was upset when SLU hired coach Ford and with Drew choosing Vanderbilt.

Coach Ford turned out to be the coach that teams needing a coach missed out on.

What would be dumber if you would have wrote Chris May like I did and complain about hiring Ford.

I have openly posted several times that I was wrong about the coach Ford  hiring trying to make amends for such thinking.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Garland only played 5 games before he got injured.  Once you got past Garland, their guard corps was mediocre relative to the SEC.  They started losing games and the thing just snowballed.  

Garland was an NBA lottery pick last year.

Nesmith is an NBA first rounder as a Junior this year. He would have been a lottery pick had his season not been shortened by a foot stress fracture. He led the country with a 52% 3 point %. He will leave school early for the NBA. 

Saben Lee is a top 50 draft board player right now, that will return next year. He will play in the NBA. Lee was named 2nd team all SEC.

Scottie Pippen was named to the All SEC Freshman team this year.

All of the above players were Bryce Drew recruits. 

34 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Drew also completely lost the locker room, and never really had buy in from the players. The difference in player effort and attitude between his team and Stackhouse's is dramatic. We dodged a major bullet with SLU not hiring Drew.

imo drew has lived a charmed life up to this point.   he doesnt make that last second shot for his dad back in the day he would be selling copiers.   well or at least coaching at a very much lower level.   drew appears to be a good example of a guy getting a promotion or opportunity one time over his right level.  grand canyon might work out great for him.  

1 hour ago, NH said:

Yeah, that's what I recall as well. He brought in some highly rated guys, but just couldn't get Ws with them. Not sure why, but they never jelled. 

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo drew has lived a charmed life up to this point.   he doesnt make that last second shot for his dad back in the day he would be selling copiers.   well or at least coaching at a very much lower level.   drew appears to be a good example of a guy getting a promotion or opportunity one time over his right level.  grand canyon might work out great for him.  

Ummm, I mean his brother didn't hit the last 2nd shot and he still coached at Valpo, then went on to be a very successful coach at Baylor.  I think Bryce very likely still becomes coach at Valpo and has success even without hitting that shot.  He's probably still hired away by a bigger school.

I agree that he seems to have gotten promoted above his level (peter principle), but I'm not sure his hitting that shot had much to do with it.  His family tree perhaps, but not that shot in particular.

39 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ummm, I mean his brother didn't hit the last 2nd shot and he still coached at Valpo, then went on to be a very successful coach at Baylor.  I think Bryce very likely still becomes coach at Valpo and has success even without hitting that shot.  He's probably still hired away by a bigger school.

I agree that he seems to have gotten promoted above his level (peter principle), but I'm not sure his hitting that shot had much to do with it.  His family tree perhaps, but not that shot in particular.

that shot enhanced the family tree as well.   homer's greatest day imo was that shot by his son. 

36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that shot enhanced the family tree as well.   homer's greatest day imo was that shot by his son. 

I agree, all of college basketball fans in the country knew who Valpo was after that shot.

2 hours ago, NH said:

Drew also completely lost the locker room, and never really had buy in from the players. The difference in player effort and attitude between his team and Stackhouse's is dramatic. We dodged a major bullet with SLU not hiring Drew.

But that wasn't his post. His post was that Vandy had mediocre guards. I named 3 that Drew recruited that have been much better than that. 

I do not dispute the lack of.on court success with Drew in his 3 seasons there. 

What I said above and in the past is Stackhouse has a well earned reputation of being very good at player development. It is one of his biggest strengths as a coach. 

And don't former Drew Vandy recruit Yanni Wetzell had a very good season for an elite San Diego St. team this year. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Aah the Peter Principle comes the the hardwood.

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

But that wasn't his post. His post was that Vandy had mediocre guards. I named 3 that Drew recruited that have been much better than that. 

I do not dispute the lack of.on court success with Drew in his 3 seasons there. 

What I said above and in the past is Stackhouse has a well earned reputation of being very good at player development. It is one of his biggest strengths as a coach. 

And don't former Drew Vandy recruit Yanni Wetzell had a very good season for an elite San Diego St. team this year. 

Agreed with all of this, not arguing in the slightest. With just providing further commentary on Drew.

courtside likes this

On 3/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, billiken_roy said:

Drew was given Valpo job and did not earn it. He did well but benefitted with his Father’s name and his name as a player - not as a coach. Horizon League not close to Vanderbilt. Too much of a jump.  Coach Ford the better chiice but Drew would have done better here than Valpo.  0-16 in league play is truly bad