Coaching Carousel

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Compton said:

I wonder if Fordham will fire Jeff Neubauer. Despite getting his first A10 tournament win the other night, each of his season’s there has achieved new lows: 

8-10

7-11

4-14

3-15

2-16

I feel like A10 records are some combo of strength of the league, strength of schedule, and luck.  Here are the KenPom ratings each year:

2016: 161

2017: 202

2018: 292

2019: 260

2020: 245

Obviously still pretty terrible, but it is Fordham after all.  Neubauer probably doesn't deserve to keep the job, but changing coaches at Fordham = rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

JettFlight5 and basebill123 like this

Not sure how “strength of league” is a factor. If the A10 is up and your conference record is terrible or if the A10 is down and your conference record is terrible, in neither instance do you belong.

Also a 5 year track record over the course of 90 games is a large enough sample size to take “luck” off the table. 

11 minutes ago, Compton said:

But I agree re: the deck chairs. Not sure who else would want the job or that Fordham has the resources to attract anyone worthwhile. 

Fordham has a few heavy hitters on Wall St. If they ever got behind BB and threw some $$$'s their way, made a splash hire like Tricky Rick, upgraded their HS gym, they'd be the sleeping giant in the A10. Bay Area Billiken, I believe will back me up on this. Why they haven't done it as of yet is beyond me. I'm not sure what their endowment is, but they've got booster power. It's more a question why don't the boosters come thru like they knew they could with the stoke of a pen. I could see a guy like Pitino jumping at the Fordham job for his final stop. He knows the potential, and it's probably way better than Iona. But he'll do well their as well. It'll just be harder to make a splash. 

Makes one wonder what the carousel will look like this year. Some were saying Shaka was on a seat that was getting warm. I don't see it. But sticking with the A10, Fordham? Who knows what they want from their BB program, a winner or the annual doormat. And without a commitment from the school who'd want it?  I'd say for the other bottom feeders, GW might be on the look. St. John's and La Salle HC's are too new. As for the top 5 or 6, who could be poached. Grant? I'd think UD would pay him what he wants if anyone came after him. Plus he's tasted the bitter pill of a  P5 job. You win big in 2-3 years or you're outta here. URI? Doubtful he's going anywhere or would be approached for a bigger job. McKilliop? The only way he's leaving Davidson is in a hearse. Mooney saved his job this year, but he's not what you'd call a hot commodity. Dumbrot? Hmmm, but just not yet unless LeBron intervenes on his behalf. Schmidt? When Boeheim hangs it up maybe he'd jump. Ford. Always a little concerned about Travis, but I think we've made him happy $$ wise. Plus, he's coming into next season with a loaded bomber of a team. Why risk it at this point for some P5 rebuilding project? And from all reports he's quite happy being with SLU in the A10.Plus, he's another guy that's been burned by the bigs. He knows the story.  McCall's new and is building a program. Not done enough yet. VCU coach, name?, now they can't be happy about this year, but I don't think they're about to pull the plug on him.... yet. Seat might be getting a little warmer next year if they pull a repeat performance. Especially if Texas takes out Smart, who would probably pull a Zo and be open to where it all started for him. 

Kick Fordham out and put NYU in their place.

The NYU Violets used to be Division 1 (SLU beat them for the national title in 48 at MSG III) but backed out decades ago due to financial troubles.

They have prime location, prime name value, and would instantly attract amazing coaches and recruits.

They don't have a traditional campus, which could be a negative, but other schools have pulled this off. NYU seems better positioned to put out a successful basketball program every year. Hell, now that the Islanders are going back to Long Island for good, NY can play at Barclay's with the Nets.

19 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Kick Fordham out and put NYU in their place.

The NYU Violets used to be Division 1 (SLU beat them for the national title in 48 at MSG III) but backed out decades ago due to financial troubles.

They have prime location, prime name value, and would instantly attract amazing coaches and recruits.

They don't have a traditional campus, which could be a negative, but other schools have pulled this off. NYU seems better positioned to put out a successful basketball program every year. Hell, now that the Islanders are going back to Long Island for good, NY can play at Barclay's with the Nets.

Might want to w/Iona. Anyone who doesn't think Iona will be a power under Pitino, must be smoking crack. He'll clean up in NYC and NJ recruiting. 

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Fordham has a few heavy hitters on Wall St. If they ever got behind BB and threw some $$$'s their way, made a splash hire like Tricky Rick, upgraded their HS gym, they'd be the sleeping giant in the A10. Bay Area Billiken, I believe will back me up on this. Why they haven't done it as of yet is beyond me. I'm not sure what their endowment is, but they've got booster power. It's more a question why don't the boosters come thru like they knew they could with the stoke of a pen. I could see a guy like Pitino jumping at the Fordham job for his final stop. He knows the potential, and it's probably way better than Iona. But he'll do well their as well. It'll just be harder to make a splash. 

Agreed. Fordham needs a new facility. It doesn’t have to be the Taj Mahal, but a new facility to replace Rose Hill Gym is needed. Fordham has a lot of alumni in the NY Tri-State Area. The potential financial backing should be there. Fordham needs its coach to have NYC ties. Rick Pitino would have been an excellent hire for Fordham.

Fordham has been able to recruit some good players, i.e. Chris Gaston, Eric Paschall (current Golden State Warrior in the NBA). Keeping all of them has been an issue, i.e. Paschall transferred to Villanova. 

If Shaka is fired by Texas would it be wise for VCU to bring him back?

If I was in charge of VCU I would bring him back.

SLU will be in good shape for a while with coach Ford.  I have always believed that the only move coach Ford will make is UK and that will not be for a while.  Coach Ford is 50 so time is on his side to build his resume with great accomplishments SLU will achieve under coach Fords leadership.  The reason I see great accomplishments coming is that local high school recruits whether they are coming to SLU or not are showing up to games and watching a great show of big time college basketball and enjoying it and talking to their peers about it.

The last five games of the season were something else.  At last game against St. Bonaventure after the post game graduation ceremony was over and the players and coaches left the floor the wife and I just did not want to leave Chaifetz it was hard letting go of such an enjoyable season. 

Anxious for November.

Coaching Carousel will be different. No Cinderella teams this year. No bursted bubble. 1/2 of all teams ended season with a win.  We ended the season hot - but could have lost first game in A10 to a good St Bona team which would have come better prepared. Tough to beat a good team twice - and back to back - this time on a neutral floor. 
Every other team ended thinking they had a good chance to make the Tourney by winning their conference tournament or being good enough. Still laughing about the Tourney being cancelled due to 18 Big 10 teams demanding the 16 spots! 
Odds are, we don’t win the A10 Tournament again - if not, then are good enough. And if not, was this year worse than last year when we did. Yes we had Seniors and now Freshmen and total rebuild but still.... tough to play NIT when we made the Dance last year. 
Likely most coaches will get another year as per their contract without the anger and pressures of not making the Tourney together with the reality of buying out a high salaried employee/coach. And with a pause on recruiting and college campuses now shut down, programs can do worse by firing their current coach - even their current guy is underperforming. 

cheeseman likes this

On 3/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, Clock_Tower said:

Coaching Carousel will be different. No Cinderella teams this year. No bursted bubble. 1/2 of all teams ended season with a win.  We ended the season hot - but could have lost first game in A10 to a good St Bona team which would have come better prepared. Tough to beat a good team twice - and back to back - this time on a neutral floor. 
Every other team ended thinking they had a good chance to make the Tourney by winning their conference tournament or being good enough. Still laughing about the Tourney being cancelled due to 18 Big 10 teams demanding the 16 spots! 
Odds are, we don’t win the A10 Tournament again - if not, then are good enough. And if not, was this year worse than last year when we did. Yes we had Seniors and now Freshmen and total rebuild but still.... tough to play NIT when we made the Dance last year. 
Likely most coaches will get another year as per their contract without the anger and pressures of not making the Tourney together with the reality of buying out a high salaried employee/coach. And with a pause on recruiting and college campuses now shut down, programs can do worse by firing their current coach - even their current guy is underperforming. 

No doubt it will be different and probably cool down from previous years. Still, there will be alumni and boosters not satisfied w/ their team's performance in regular season and pressure for a change. I have no idea who these schools are other than to say they'll likely be P5's who have been down for 2 or 3 seasons. One that comes to mind is BC. The folks in Newton can't be happy with what's taking place there. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Clock_Tower said:

I will disagree about losing to St. Bona. Win vs lose is not a binary issue (either yes or no), it is a quantitative issue. We beat St. Bona by a lot of points, you can calculate probabilities for beating them again by a lesser amount of point. A win is a win regardless of the point spread. I think it is quite likely that we would have beaten them again.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I will disagree about losing to St. Bona. Win vs lose is not a binary issue (either yes or no), it is a quantitative issue. We beat St. Bona by a lot of points, you can calculate probabilities for beating them again by a lesser amount of point. A win is a win regardless of the point spread. I think it is quite likely that we would have beaten them again.

SLU was on a 5 game winning streak and playing at peak form and so was Dayton.

No doubt SLU beats the Bonnies who were not playing their best.

Beating Dayton was another thing but I felt good about it because the whole team was contributing.

Yuri made such a huge difference on offense this season we had no complaints about fast break scoring this season like we did last season.

HenryB and Billikenbooster like this

On 3/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, CBFan said:

If Shaka is fired by Texas would it be wise for VCU to bring him back?

Interesting thought.  Even if Smart gets one more year at UT, that same question will probably  be floating out there this time next year.

VCU usually has a good coaching pipeline going so they may have some other names in mind.  But hard to argue with the success Smart had there.

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

Rick has proven he can get the job done in a matter of seconds.

Or a matter of minutes...depending on the stamina of the recruit...sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. I’ll see myself out.🤣

Major Majerus likes this

On 3/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, slu72 said:

Makes one wonder what the carousel will look like this year. Some were saying Shaka was on a seat that was getting warm. I don't see it. But sticking with the A10, Fordham? Who knows what they want from their BB program, a winner or the annual doormat. And without a commitment from the school who'd want it?  I'd say for the other bottom feeders, GW might be on the look. St. John's and La Salle HC's are too new. As for the top 5 or 6, who could be poached. Grant? I'd think UD would pay him what he wants if anyone came after him. Plus he's tasted the bitter pill of a  P5 job. You win big in 2-3 years or you're outta here. URI? Doubtful he's going anywhere or would be approached for a bigger job. McKilliop? The only way he's leaving Davidson is in a hearse. Mooney saved his job this year, but he's not what you'd call a hot commodity. Dumbrot? Hmmm, but just not yet unless LeBron intervenes on his behalf. Schmidt? When Boeheim hangs it up maybe he'd jump. Ford. Always a little concerned about Travis, but I think we've made him happy $$ wise. Plus, he's coming into next season with a loaded bomber of a team. Why risk it at this point for some P5 rebuilding project? And from all reports he's quite happy being with SLU in the A10.Plus, he's another guy that's been burned by the bigs. He knows the story.  McCall's new and is building a program. Not done enough yet. VCU coach, name?, now they can't be happy about this year, but I don't think they're about to pull the plug on him.... yet. Seat might be getting a little warmer next year if they pull a repeat performance. Especially if Texas takes out Smart, who would probably pull a Zo and be open to where it all started for him. 

I can tell you with certainty that Shaka's seat was getting warm. It's cooled some but I wouldn't say with complete certainty that he's safe. I think their play down the stretch bought him another year. 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Didn't say we would lose. And the extra points we won by last game would have meant nothing in the rematch.   Personally, I think we would have won again - though not by as great of a margin.   But my point is that St Bona also thought they would win the revenge game and each could then go home relatively happy telling their fans it was great season, they would have won...  I say relative, bc with St. Bona, we put a boot kicking on them only a few days prior.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

Interesting thought.  Even if Smart gets one more year at UT, that same question will probably  be floating out there this time next year.

VCU usually has a good coaching pipeline going so they may have some other names in mind.  But hard to argue with the success Smart had there.

Yep.   I suspect firings will be down this year but be very high next Spring.   

And as to Michael Rhoades, not really fair to him as this was only his 3rd year - which ended prematurely.   Yes, he inherited a good program, yes, his team disappointed,, yes most fans would want to dump him for Shaka, but if Shaka gets another year at UT, he will fail again next year and then his chances of another stint at VCU looks promising bc I fully expect Rhoades to fail again next year.

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yep.   I suspect firings will be down this year but be very high next Spring.   

And as to Michael Rhoades, not really fair to him as this was only his 3rd year - which ended prematurely.   Yes, he inherited a good program, yes, his team disappointed,, yes most fans would want to dump him for Shaka, but if Shaka gets another year at UT, he will fail again next year and then his chances of another stint at VCU looks promising bc I fully expect Rhoades to fail again next year.

Funny how sometimes a coach is just a good fit someplace. Seem's like he never really tried to play his brand of basketball at UT