Non-conference Schedule - 2020-21

ACE

apparently we're also playing BC again next year..

"Ford also is trying to put the final touches on a schedule that is known to include San Diego State, Boston College, Southern Illinois-Carbondale and Siena"

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

You must be new here.

It's actually pretty funny... the excuses Mizzou fans/coaches/administrators all used to make, we could easily make now.   We are better than them, out-recruit them in STL, already play a better non-con schedule... etc.    As much as I'd like to beat them my 30 points this year, it really makes no sense for us to play them.

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It's actually pretty funny... the excuses Mizzou fans/coaches/administrators all used to make, we could easily make now.   We are better than them, out-recruit them in STL, already play a better non-con schedule... etc.    As much as I'd like to beat them my 30 points this year, it really makes no sense for us to play them.

Sloan gave a very good analysis of the SLU/Mizzou thing on the podcast. That was the best guest that has been on the podcast. He had a great memory and insights. The Channing Frye and Ahearn stuff was really good.

43 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Even a crappy SEC team is good for the tournament committee "eye test."  We should play them but they won't because the are wussies...... 

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Even a crappy SEC team is good for the tournament committee "eye test."  We should play them but they won't because the are wussies...... 

SPUMAC will not even be close to a NCAA tournament team this upcoming year.  The great Poacher has run out of poaches and the SS Mizzou is taking on water.  His recruiting lack of success is being magnified by comparison to what Drink is doing in football recruiting.

meerkat and billiken_roy like this

35 minutes ago, bauman said:

His recruiting lack of success is being magnified by comparison to what Drink is doing in football recruiting.

This x100

"I love watching Mizzou lose. I would love to play them on annual basis and would love to watch them lose to SLU." - This was my take when we last had the opportunity to talk trash about Mizzou and this is my take now. 

Playing the game is the right thing to do for college basketball in Missouri, I know Mizzou is trash, I like that Mizzou is trash, their fans are obnoxious and I don't care. I honestly don't care if Mizzou was the worst team in all of D1 basketball every year, I still want to play them and I want to beat them year in and year out. I don't care if SLU wins a John Wooden-era UCLA amount of National Championships, I still want to play Mizzou every year. 

Their fans and their athletic department have been hiding behind 100% cowardice for two decades now and I want to play so they have to eat their own words on the hardwood. Its criminal that those 2011-2013 Mizzou and SLU squads didn't meet on the court, it would have been a war, now, we'd kill them, and frankly, I'd love every minute of it. 

dlarry likes this

-if what CFord said a couple of weeks ago about his anticipation or hope of a couple more big time opponents (rules out one school) and those games being road or neutral, it would not surprise me if we have a Rockhurst or two to fill the home slate 

I could see a lot of non-conference schedules changing. A lot of schools are going to experience budget shortfalls. We may see a situation in which travel is restricted to buses. I could see a lot of what happens when a college baseball trip gets cancelled, you schedule a team close to home. A lot of teams will play their non-conference road games in within state or adjacent states.

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

As much as I'd like to beat them my 30 points this year, it really makes no sense for us to play them.

It'd makes sense because for 3-4 days it would put SLU-MIZZOU hoops at the center of the regional/state sports media and get people interested. It could easily become what the Braggin' Rights game used to be. It'd be good for the players, schools, fans, host city, etc... 

The only person it'd be bad for is Cuonzo as it would add another nail to his coffin. 

6 minutes ago, Compton said:

It'd makes sense because for 3-4 days it would put SLU-MIZZOU hoops at the center of the regional/state sports media and get people interested. It could easily become what the Braggin' Rights game used to be. It'd be good for the players, schools, fans, host city, etc... 

Now that Mizzou has ku back on the schedule, I cannot see Mizzou wanting to play Kansas, Illinois and SLU.  Losing to your 2 biggest rivals is one thing for your fan support, but then losing the "state" along with those two would be too much imo. 

41 minutes ago, DOC said:

Richmond takes a buy game at Kentucky. I wouldn’t hesitate to do that next year at a blue blood if there was still an opportunity to do so. 

given coaches connections to Uk, I'll be surprised if we dont play them soon. 

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

With Caleb Love at UNC, do you think we may see the Tarheels within the next couple of years?

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

I think that whole idea of games being scheduled to visit players' hometowns is basically a fiction. 

Roy Williams has certainly done this for his players in the past (see Tyler Hansbrough) and UNC is actually one of the better power conference schools in terms of scheduling non-conference road games.  The issue is that if Caleb Love is a 1 and done, then it doesn't make sense to schedule such a game.

56 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Roy Williams has certainly done this for his players in the past (see Tyler Hansbrough) and UNC is actually one of the better power conference schools in terms of scheduling non-conference road games.  The issue is that if Caleb Love is a 1 and done, then it doesn't make sense to schedule such a game.

He did it for Ryan Robertson too.  But he and Hansbrough were both four-year players.

1 hour ago, Compton said:

I think that whole idea of games being scheduled to visit players' hometowns is basically a fiction. 

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

He did it for Ryan Robertson too.  But he and Hansbrough were both four-year players.

I agree with Compton. It's basically only applied to guys that stay in the program for 4 years and given the 20 game conference schedule these teams play, there aren't many, if any trips being made at this point.

One exception that I know of and SLU should reach out if they haven't is Yale. Wyatt Yess (Parkway West) is coming up on his senior year and they schedule a road game for all their seniors. I had heard it may be with Mizzou (because Yale wanted a chance to win :) ) but it wouldn't hurt for us to reach out.

AGB91 likes this