Non-conference Schedule - 2020-21

ACE

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We don’t need more teams. If anything, we should be reducing the number of teams to increase top-to-bottom balance.

Iona with Pitino will be a top 25 mainstay. We don't want balance. We want the most NCAA worthy teams and the least amount of dregs. Just eliminating teams doesn't necessarily make the conference better.

It’s near impossible to kick teams out so there’s no real point to that discussion.

To those saying this is good because we will get rid of Maryville and some other bad school they are ignoring the fact that we can’t get to 17-18 home games if we do that. We need a few “buy” games to make that happen. Maybe the AD is willing to send out similar $ cost invoices with fewer games (I.e. a higher per game cost) or is willing to drop the price of everyone’s invoice by $25. I kind of doubt either option is appealing.

More realistic is that we end up losing games against the mid to low P5 teams or the SIUC series if this goes through.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It’s near impossible to kick teams out so there’s no real point to that discussion.

To those saying this is good because we will get rid of Maryville and some other bad school they are ignoring the fact that we can’t get to 17-18 home games if we do that. We need a few “buy” games to make that happen. Maybe the AD is willing to send out similar $ cost invoices with fewer games (I.e. a higher per game cost) or is willing to drop the price of everyone’s invoice by $25. I kind of doubt either option is appealing.

More realistic is that we end up losing games against the mid to low P5 teams or the SIUC series if this goes through.

If he has a top 40 product to sell, Chris May will absolutely be able to charge more game.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If he has a top 40 product to sell, Chris May will absolutely be able to charge more game.

It will be hard to raise prices for season tix holders when the school is doing things like $5 tix nights and other reduced tix price.  We all pay about $25 per game (est) now minus any seat license fees.  May can not charge more per game until he is selling all tix at the original asking price.

For me, the only way to not go to 20 games is to get more league Challenges set up.  Perhaps the Atlantic 10, American, West Coast, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and Mid American combine for some rotational set up where leagues have at least two challenges per year. Have a two year home and away series with two and then move on to another two conferences.  Matching up 14 teams conferences with 10 team conferences would still need to be addressed, but it could be done.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For me, the only way to not go to 20 games is to get more league Challenges set up.  Perhaps the Atlantic 10, American, West Coast, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and Mid American combine for some rotational set up where leagues have at least two challenges per year. Have a two year home and away series with two and then move on to another two conferences.  Matching up 14 teams conferences with 10 team conferences would still need to be addressed, but it could be done.

Yes.  Agree.  Mid majors must be more creative in how they counter act the P5 schools.   There is a lot of talent in the non-P5 leagues.   A10 vs. West Coast would be great.  And if conferences can schedule with each other years in advance, then the conferences can evaluate/rank their own teams to provide better matchup games for games that year.   SLU, for instance, is tough to schedule.   We have been anything but consistent.   We have gone from being really good to really bad to really good again.   But other programs are not so sure scheduling us.   Dayton and VCU have been more consistent over the years. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

NCAA should mandate such challenges and get rid of buy games and D-2 teams playing D-1.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

NCAA should mandate such challenges and get rid of buy games and D-2 teams playing D-1.

How would lower division teams get any revenue if it weren’t for buy games? 

They serve a purpose just don’t have more than a couple.

5 hours ago, almaman said:

There's no need to mandate a ban on D-II games. Teams like SLU that are and aspire to be competitive at the highest level will naturally abandon them because they are worthless from a NET perspective. Programs like Incarnate Word, Mississippi Valley State, Nicholls St. and Alabama A&M need D-II games to get a couple home wins for the fanbase and give their kids an experience other than taking a 14 hour bus ride to Lawrence, South Bend, Raleigh, Ann Arbor or any other town with a prosperous and competitive school in it to get their asses handed to them. 

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

It will be hard to raise prices for season tix holders when the school is doing things like $5 tix nights and other reduced tix price.  We all pay about $25 per game (est) now minus any seat license fees.  May can not charge more per game until he is selling all tix at the original asking price.

-I disagree, I buy my season tickets, I have those seats for every game, I don;t care if the person in the row behind me paid $5 for their seat, I say good job to the ADept for filling the seats as opposed to the seat being empty

Agree with Cowboy, the price of the seasons tickets are good  for us because we love to go see the Bills play, and are good for SLU because it is money in the bank for them. Our seats are paid for even if we cannot attend. Whichever way it turns out to be, we really look forward to the season and going to the games, the cost of the season's tickets is listed as a necessary expense in our book.

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Season ticket holders have there, butts in the seats, paying annual fees for not only the glory years (Top 40 like this upcoming year) but also the terrible, embarrassing years. And as you know, there have bee ALOT of terrible, embarrassing years.  You mention Chris May -- he was there not only for the RM rebuilding years but the RM success year, the Crews success years with RM's players and the Crews failure time with his own players, then the Ford rebuild/Situation 1 years and now.  Assume prices should go down for the bad years too?  The problem for our season ticket sales team is that our team has not been good each year - or even consistent.  Jacking up prices on the loyal season ticket holder base is not smart/financially good for a volatile product.   

drkelsey55 and cheeseman like this

17 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Richmond got a non con game against Kentucky. Hopefully they can win that and we can perform well in the Orlando tournament. Would be great for the conference to have more than one top 20 team

Good get for Richmond.  

likely a kentucky player that is from the Richmond area has been promised a go home game.   remember when we got the home game vs North Carolina when the kid from southern missouri that played for unc was promised such?

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

likely a kentucky player that is from the Richmond area has been promised a go home game.   remember when we got the home game vs North Carolina when the kid from southern missouri that played for unc was promised such?

Its at Rupp arena.  This is nothing other than UK hosting a top 30 team to boost its Net .

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Its at Rupp arena.  This is nothing other than UK hosting a top 30 team to boost its Net .

Exactly. Richmond being a buy game isn't really all that great. Could be great if somehow they win that game.

Long way to go with our schedule, but I wouldn't mind playing a true road/buy game against a top 10 team if the right situation presented itself. No shame in losing a game like that but gives us another chance at a signature win, which we clearly were missing this past season.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

SLU played a guarantee game at Duke in 2010, but, even before Sit. 1 decimated the team, they weren't projected to be quite as good as Richmond should be in 2020-21.

I liked that game for our frosh. They got Pummeled in the game but I thought it was a good learning experience that later led to three tournament appearances.