Non-conference Schedule - 2020-21

ACE

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully, I know old guy he is not a troll, he and his wife are long time team blue fans.

Now back on topic can anyone confirm if KSU plays SLU at home?

Happy Friday stay well everyone.

According to Hoosier Pal, not this upcoming season. I thought this as well. I guess we'll play a home and home with them starting w/ the 21-22 season. 

CBFan likes this

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

My personal all time Old Guy favorite. One correction, however, they were Mexican Ice Cubes. Not all foreign countries were included. For example, when Crews took the team to the Bahamas to face The Cabana Boys,  ice cube warnings were not issued. 

Maybe it was BYOI

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

According to Hoosier Pal, not this upcoming season. I thought this as well. I guess we'll play a home and home with them starting w/ the 21-22 season. 

If that is really the case then I have gained a lot of respect for Weber's  scheduling skills.  If I was him I wouldn't want to get my @$$ kicked by the Bills in HF, JP and JG's last year.  Smarter to wait until they are gone.  I can envision a 20 pt beatdown by SLU at the Fetz if the game is next year and how would that look to STL area recruits?  Heck, if they are willing, play them next year at their place and the following year in STL.  That could produce 3 straight W's in 3 years!

gabi your enthusiasm with your new found posting here at billikens.com is very exciting.  i am really looking forward to all your upcoming input and discussion.

2 hours ago, GabiJohnson said:

Bills are also playing in the Orlando Tourney played around Thanksgiving. Thinking about making the trip to see them.

Gabi....I hope you join the Corona Virus discussion.  I am excited to hear what thoughts you can randomly parse and reassemble from previous posts for that discussion.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, slu72 said:

It’s Auburn we start H and H in 2021. No idea on KSU. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Meh, not a big fan. I’d rather us to what conf USA is doing rather than playing Fordham more 

Agreed. I guess the only way it makes some sense is if the extra games are between the perceived top teams in conference, but those will just be educated guesses. 

If we want to go to 20 games we need to remove at least 2 teams and maybe 3 or 4 so the new schedule doesn't kill the NET for the whole conference.

Kick out Fordham, LaSalle, George Mason and UMass.  Get two of Bemont, Loyola, & Iona to join the league.

25 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If we want to go to 20 games we need to remove at least 2 teams and maybe 3 or 4 so the new schedule doesn't kill the NET for the whole conference.

Kick out Fordham, LaSalle, George Mason and UMass.  Get two of Bemont, Loyola, & Iona to join the league.

I wouldn’t want to kick out UMass. That should be a decent program. Fordham and LaSalle can go, no questions asked. 

Since the A10 went to an 18 game schedule in 14/15, here are our home and home opponents.  I get Dayton and Duquesne, to an extent, being annual, but we should be playing VCU twice every year.  And why haven't we drawn Davidson twice, ever.

HOME & HOME since 2014/15

Dayton 6

Duquesne 6

LaSalle 4

George Mason 3

St. Bonaventure 3

Rhode Island 2

St. Joseph 2

VCU 2

Richmond 1

UMass 1

Davidson 0

Fordham 0

GW 0

NH, a few thoughts.  First, I don't see the conf going to any schools and kicking them out, although a couple of them might want to leave and go to a conf where they would be more competitive, e.g. the CAA or the MAAC.

Second, although MBB is the financial driver of the A 10,  other sports are very important to eastern schools.  Also, some of the schools you want out are excellent in some of the secondary sports such as soccer, volleyball, lacrosse  and field hockey.

Third, I think the conf prefers having a NYC school, like Fordham.

Lastly, while we are looking at it from a SLU viewpoint they might just as much want us out of the league due to travel costs associated with having to send all their sports teams to the midwest.

HP regarding your info about which teams we play twice each year, I think due to decreased revenue this upcoming year at least next year should take travel expense into account. For example, I would like to see our 7 H&H opponents be as follows:  Dayton (always); St. Joe and LaSalle (one trip to Philly); GW and GM (one trip to DC) and Richmond and VCU (one trip to Richmond) or Fordham and Rhode Island (one trip to schools a bus trip apart).  This also seems to be the way to go for all other sports to save $$$ due to decreased MBB payouts from the NCAA.

Edited by bauman
typo
AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, NH said:

I wouldn’t want to kick out UMass. That should be a decent program. Fordham and LaSalle can go, no questions asked. 

UMass is an outlier in the league.  They always have one foot out the door and they are a big public school in a predominantly private school conference.

No sports are important to Fordham or LaSalle.  Their facilities drag down the whole conference.  Any other drastic change is worthless if we don't require the schools in our conference to meet minimum standards in regards to funding and facilities.

It was only a matter of time for the A10 to join this caravan.  Would seem to make sense and add value for us thisyear if we eliminated Maryville, High Point, and Bethune-Cookman and replaced them with Richmond, Davidson, VCU and/or Rhode Island.  Of course, you won't know any of that going into the upcoming year and the league will, as always, self-cannibalize as someone once described.  Plus you will have to start the regular season at least a few weeks earlier or dot a few conference game in between OOC games as well.  Three A10 teams I don't' care to H/H with?  Fordham.  La Salle.  Umass.  And Umass was a stretch.

Still, without Fordham, you lose the opportunity to recruit NYC some.  Ditto the double road trip to Philly if you drop La Salle.  And Umass is rising.  Maybe it's the DC schools then with Fordham. 

Fordham and La Salle need to plus up their commitment or go to another league for sure.  I'm with NH and others on that accord.

Fordham and LaSalle don't do squat for our recruiting. We have 1 player from NY area (Has) and nada from Philly or PA. We need to get kids from the MW primarily and the South. Fordham should go to the MAAC. LaSalle to the CAA. Bring in Loyola and Bradley to trim expenses. May should be pounding his shoe on the table demanding this to trim our expenses. 

36 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Fordham and LaSalle don't do squat for our recruiting. We have 1 player from NY area (Has) and nada from Philly or PA. We need to get kids from the MW primarily and the South. Fordham should go to the MAAC. LaSalle to the CAA. Bring in Loyola and Bradley to trim expenses. May should be pounding his shoe on the table demanding this to trim our expenses. 

My response to May pounding his shoe on the table would be didn’t you know what “ Atlantic” stood for when you joined the Atlantic-10?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Do you really think that first and foremost on the A10's agenda is to trim SLU's expenses?  You want Loyola and Bradley.  We play SIUC annually and played Valpo this season.  Why not just join the Valley?  It would be cheaper.

cheeseman likes this

George Mason's last 4 seasons: 9-9, 9-9, 11-7, 5-13 

LaSalle's last 4 seasons: 9-9, 7-11, 8-10, 6-12

These teams have been competitive (or at least average) in the A10 recently.

UMass has been a bit worse (4-14, 5-13, 4-14, 8-10) but the conference should not be shooing away one of its two flagship state schools, especially one with such a rich basketball history. Plus we should give them a pass, because if they'd been really good Has may have gone there. 

These just aren't programs deserving of getting the boot (and certainly not of being replaced by f'n Bradley). You only have to go back a couple years to us having an equally awful four year stretch: 3-15, 5-13, 6-12, 9-9. 

Fordham is truly an outlier in the A10 when it comes to winning (or losing really) and when it comes to commitment to competitive facilities (the Rose Hill Gym speaks for itself) and coaching: 

• Coach Paulson's 2 years at LaSalle: 8-10, 6-12 (seat might be warming up, but it's still early)
  • Coach McCall's 3 years at UMass: 5-13, 4-14, 8-10 (not great, but improving)
  • Coach Paulsen's 5 years at George Mason: 5-13, 9-9, 9-9, 11-7, 5-13 (on the rise until a regression this year)
  • Coach Neubauer's 5 years at Fordham: 8-10, 7-9, 4-14, 3-15, 2-16 (sinking the program like a stone) 

On a separate note, I would hope that our days of scheduling DII teams during the regular season are over. As fun as it is to have random local match-ups, it's just not worth it from a NET ranking perspective. Even playing a Bethune-Cookman is literally infinitely more valuable than playing a DII school.