A10 Tournament Cancelled

Aquinas

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Test, monitor, quarantine, delay, re-test, continue monitoring, re-test before you resume. Delay. Pause.  Eliminate crowds, bands... But life, along with sports, needs to go on. What is your plan? Your solution? Cancel and then what?  Resume when? Never?

An office worker gives another office worker the coronavirus and yet not every office in the area, in the country or in the world has been shut down. A Bayer employee would found with the coronavirus and the St Louis office shut down - not every office in the world....  a student was determined high risk bc of her sister but not every high school in the area or country or world was shut down. I met with new clients today and each of us took the risk that one of us could have infected the other. 
Small groups of 30 or so have traveled together today, have met each other today, have been within 3 feet of each other today, If you and your team program want to end the year... so be it. 

And yes, I am glad I don't share your world views. 

Leagues around the world are postponing seasons. Yet you want the Billikens to play in NY. You want to be entertained. Go back into your cave. 

I’m very glad you are not a decision maker. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

Ok, it sucks big time, but this virus sucks much much bigger. This is a sneaky SOB as you don't show symptoms but still may be a carrier. The only choice they had. 

From the CDC:
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

28 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

From the CDC:
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

The Jazz player last night showed no symptoms. But had the test and proved positive. They don't know, and that's the problem. 

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

True, but they are likely to spread it to vulnerable populations. 

This is correct. The big cluster of cases in New Rochelle can all be traced to a lawyer meeting clients and doing his work. You never know, but if  you do you should a) stay home out of the  way in quarantine or b) be sent forcefully to a cozy isolation jail cell in the middle of the Mojave Desert. I do hope we have such a facility ready for issues like this, this is not the time to build one.

30 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is correct. The big cluster of cases in New Rochelle can all be traced to a lawyer meeting clients and doing his work. You never know, but if  you do you should a) stay home out of the  way in quarantine or b) be sent forcefully to a cozy isolation jail cell in the middle of the Mojave Desert. I do hope we have such a facility ready for issues like this, this is not the time to build one.

Can we send Mickey Pearson to the same place? 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Leagues around the world are postponing seasons. Yet you want the Billikens to play in NY. You want to be entertained. Go back into your cave. 

I’m very glad you are not a decision maker. 

When did I say play in New York?  I didnt.
If conferences were to go forward today, they would be doing so without testing, in large indoor arenas full of large untested fan bases.  The optics just don't look good.  
Salvaging the NCAA Tournament, and other leagues in front of empty seats, makes sense to me - though if the sponsors pull out, (and likely already said they would) then no choice but to pull the plug and the season is over - which it has. Shame

33 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

But I heard his grammy is sick. Does that count?

If granny has the bug and breaks the quarantine, yes, throw her into isolation at the Mojave Desert. I agree they may have issues with the feeding tube and the wheelchair but hey, she broke the quarantee.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm giving Clock Tower a triple bogey for his take on the Coronavirus. 

That’s fine. You, like everyone else, are entitled to your own opinion. Because you strongly disagree with me, you obviously have thought this through. So what should sports do?  Cancel for how long?  NBA and NHL end the season too?  Cancel MLB for the year?  Restart while the coronavirus is still present somewhere and affecting someone?

34 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

That’s fine. You, like everyone else, are entitled to your own opinion. Because you strongly disagree with me, you obviously have thought this through. So what should sports do?  Cancel for how long?  NBA and NHL end the season too?  Cancel MLB for the year?  Restart while the coronavirus is still present somewhere and affecting someone?

If you were to look at the 2 month time the Covid-19 took to allow China to reopen businesses, you could come to the conclusion that perhaps the epidemic will last a similar amount of time in the US. It is possible that things might be getting back to normal by May. I do not know if this will be the case or not. Recovery by May might allow sports to reopen. This is nothing but total speculation, I have nothing at all to back this timetable, but it just might be possible to have a reasonable baseball season, and perhaps to finish other sports (like college basketball) as well. However I think once the players go home at the end of the academic year, it is not likely a completion of the basketball tournaments will take place. I am also pretty certain that the sports networks will be desperate to get some reasonable content for broadcasting and will be pressing hard to get this done once the epidemic subsides.

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

If you were to look at the 2 month time the Covid-19 took to allow China to reopen businesses, you could come to the conclusion that perhaps the epidemic will last a similar amount of time in the US. It is possible that things might be getting back to normal by May. I do not know if this will be the case or not. Recovery by May might allow sports to reopen. This is nothing but total speculation, I have nothing at all to back this timetable, but it just might be possible to have a reasonable baseball season, and perhaps to finish other sports (like college basketball) as well. However I think once the players go home at the end of the academic year, it is not likely a completion of the basketball tournaments will take place. I am also pretty certain that the sports networks will be desperate to get some reasonable content for broadcasting and will be pressing hard to get this done once the epidemic subsides.

I wonder if the NCAA might approve schools to play in some kind of off season tourneys, IF the scare has passed. I'm sure the networks would welcome it. Say, they set up regional tourneys for teams that have decent NETS. Like a Mid West tourney. U invite 16 teams and have a 4 day tourney. Do this for 64 teams (East, West, Mid W, South). Then the regional winners meet for a weekend tourney. You're not declared the NCAA champ, but something like the NIT winner. Hold it in June, IF there are no concerns. Let the SRs play. Have the NCAA govern it and spread the money evenly to all conferences. Hell, make Corona Beer one of your major sponsors. Big question is who gets spots? Use the NET. It's gotta be good for something. 

Slu72, it will all depend on how long it will take to bring the epidemic to an end. This thing will not be forever, you can be sure of that. If it ends by May you will see action to restore the life of professional sports and college tournaments, or at least I think you will.

16 hours ago, Old guy said:

Slu72, it will all depend on how long it will take to bring the epidemic to an end. This thing will not be forever, you can be sure of that. If it ends by May you will see action to restore the life of professional sports and college tournaments, or at least I think you will.

If the flatten the curve theory is the goal, doesn’t it me this is a longer term epidemic? I know everyone is talking about events being cancelled through April, but if we succeed at flattening the curve aren’t we talking about a longer term situation?

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

If the flatten the curve theory is the goal, doesn’t it me this is a longer term epidemic? I know everyone is talking about events being cancelled through April, but if we succeed at flattening the curve aren’t we talking about a longer term situation?

It could go either way. If as part of the attempts to flatten the curve, the measures actually diminish transmission, then there may be less cases and the epidemic will last less. If the flattening measures do not diminish transmission just prolongs the time during which transmission takes place, the epidemic will last longer. The devil is in the details, how the prevention measures are implemented by different States may make a world of difference.

-I guess I can be glad I am not in sports talk radio with nothing to discuss but today I feel empty as I and millions of others should be concentrating on filling out brackets and on here we should be saying how our 12 seeded Bills will beat the over-rated 5 seed we drew - oh well, life goes on

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I guess I can be glad I am not in sports talk radio with nothing to discuss but today I feel empty as I and millions of others should be concentrating on filling out brackets and on here we should be saying how our 12 seeded Bills will beat the over-rated 5 seed we drew - oh well, life goes on

well i even feel sorry for espn.   they literally have nothing to broadcast with all sports being cancelled.   a lot of history channel and TCM coming up for viewing though.  good for them

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA to distribute $225 million to D1 schools, down from $600 million last year.  All 32 conferences will get a share of $53.6 million, with the rest of the $172 million split up based on 'factors the NCAA did not reveal publicly."  That statement raises some huge question marks.    

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaas-annual-distribution-to-division-i-schools-to-be-225-million-down-from-expected-nearly-600-million/