A10 Tournament Cancelled

Aquinas

This kills me.  As a country are we just going to curl up in a ball and surrender our lives to this virus.
I get that it is important to slow its progress down, but does cancelling these games really accomplish anything?

I feel sorry for all of the teams and players that worked so hard this season.

I especially feel bad for Dayton, who is or was having a dream season with a real shot at a national champion ship.

Ugh

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely sucks, but I’m not mad at the A-10 for making this decision. Protecting the American people is much more important than a few sporting events. Seeing where Italy is right now, we need to do anything and everything possible to ensure that don’t end up in their situation. Sure, cancelling the tournament may have not done much, but in my opinion I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. 

16 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

This kills me.  As a country are we just going to curl up in a ball and surrender our lives to this virus.
I get that it is important to slow its progress down, but does cancelling these games really accomplish anything?

I feel sorry for all of the teams and players that worked so hard this season.

I especially feel bad for Dayton, who is or was having a dream season with a real shot at a national champion ship.

Ugh

Yes. It accomplishes a lot. We need to be social distancing right now to slow the spread and allow the healthcare system to be able to handle critical cases.

If we stop doing everything, our economy will collapse.... and we will still have the virus. I agree with pausing the large gatherings at sporting events, to slow this thing down until we know better what we are dealing with. But stopping the actual games is a new definition of March Madess. 

3 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

If we stop doing everything, our economy will collapse.... and we will still have the virus. I agree with pausing the large gatherings at sporting events, to slow this thing down until we know better what we are dealing with. But stopping the actual games is a new definition of March Madness. 

I agree with you, but I suspect that the administrators' fear is that someone among the players, coaching staffs, officials, essential staff,  media, and immediate families may carry the contagion.

2020 is supposed to be the year of perfect vision, but now we're not seeing anything.

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Ok, it sucks big time, but this virus sucks much much bigger. This is a sneaky SOB as you don't show symptoms but still may be a carrier. The only choice they had. 

I don’t mean to spread any mis information or anything else. This was a picture of an email I received from other medical personnel. 
it makes sense to me.  Take it or leave it if you’d like. 

wash your hands and 6 feet are what I am trying my best to utilize while seeing patients. Good luck all. Make wise decisions. 

0D88F8DD-15C0-480B-9E4A-46CA6C56C049.png

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

If we stop doing everything, our economy will collapse.... and we will still have the virus. I agree with pausing the large gatherings at sporting events, to slow this thing down until we know better what we are dealing with. But stopping the actual games is a new definition of March Madess. 

Please don't think rationally.    Transporting 12 young, healthy athletes and a few coaches and audio/visiual guys, together with Earl and Ramsey, to play a game in an empty gym does not strike me as high risk behavior.  Again, how many student athletes fall into the over age 60 and high risk/compromised imunity category?  Doubt very many.   And travel by these 30 or less people on an airplane or staying at a hotel is now bad?   What happened to prohibiting large indoor population events?  Have all practices been outlawed too?   

Then again, look who are running college campuses... assume they are busy issuing refunds to their students for the privilege of taking on-line classes at the rate of $60,000 per year?

Billiken Rich likes this

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

Please don't think rationally.    Transporting 12 young, healthy athletes and a few coaches and audio/visiual guys, together with Earl and Ramsey, to play a game in an empty gym does not strike me as high risk behavior.  Again, how many student athletes fall into the over age 60 and high risk/compromised imunity category?  Doubt very many.   And travel by these 30 or less people on an airplane or staying at a hotel is now bad?   What happened to prohibiting large indoor population events?  Have all practices been outlawed too?   

Then again, look who are running college campuses... assume they are busy issuing refunds to their students for the privilege of taking on-line classes at the rate of $60,000 per year?

I agree that partial refunds for room and board should be issued (I think you were suggesting something like that).  The rest of your post is uninformed. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

I agree that partial refunds for room and board should be issued (I think you were suggesting something like that).  The rest of your post is uninformed. 

You see:  woke assholss like you presume that anyone with a different opinion are uninformed or inferior to your types.   

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Wake up, will you.  Look at what happened in the NBA, where 12 highly conditioned athletes were put together in a locker room, and one who had unknowingly contracted the virus gave it to at least one other highly conditioned athlete.  These aren't run of the mill citizens.  These are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, and they have it.

We are talking life here.  You are talking about a sport, a game, entertainment.  

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Wake up, will you.  Look at what happened in the NBA, where 12 highly conditioned athletes were put together in a locker room, and one who had unknowingly contracted the virus gave it to at least one other highly conditioned athlete.  These aren't run of the mill citizens.  These are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, and they have it.

We are talking life here.  You are talking about a sport, a game, entertainment.  

Lots of arrogant people won’t accept the obvious because it doesn’t align with their world view.  

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As far as I know, no one has ever claimed that a high level of athletic conditioning will keep you free of viral infections. I put the blame entirely upon either the team for not making sure the (+) contact did not stay away from the others and in quarantine, or upon the athlete for not telling the team that he was (+) and quarantining himself. As far as life and death goes, with a disease who kills people in nursing homes that are ancient, these athletes are extremely unlikely to die of this thing.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Test, monitor, quarantine, delay, re-test, continue monitoring, re-test before you resume. Delay. Pause.  Eliminate crowds, bands... But life, along with sports, needs to go on. What is your plan? Your solution? Cancel and then what?  Resume when? Never?

An office worker gives another office worker the coronavirus and yet not every office in the area, in the country or in the world has been shut down. A Bayer employee would found with the coronavirus and the St Louis office shut down - not every office in the world....  a student was determined high risk bc of her sister but not every high school in the area or country or world was shut down. I met with new clients today and each of us took the risk that one of us could have infected the other. 
Small groups of 30 or so have traveled together today, have met each other today, have been within 3 feet of each other today, If you and your team program want to end the year... so be it. 

And yes, I am glad I don't share your world views. 

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As far as I know, no one has ever claimed that a high level of athletic conditioning will keep you free of viral infections. I put the blame entirely upon either the team for not making sure the (+) contact did not stay away from the others and in quarantine, or upon the athlete for not telling the team that he was (+) and quarantining himself. As far as life and death goes, with a disease who kills people in nursing homes that are ancient, these athletes are extremely unlikely to die of this thing.

True, but they are likely to spread it to vulnerable populations. 

Old guy likes this

3 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Test, monitor, quarantine, delay, re-test, continue monitoring, re-test before you resume. Delay. Pause.  Eliminate crowds, bands... But life, along with sports, needs to go on. What is your plan? Your solution? Cancel and then what?  Resume when? Never?

An office worker gives another office worker the coronavirus and yet not every office in the area, in the country or in the world has been shut down. A Bayer employee would found with the coronavirus and the St Louis office shut down - not every office in the world....  a student was determined high risk bc of her sister but not every high school in the area or country or world was shut down. I met with new clients today and each of us took the risk that one of us could have infected the other. 
Small groups of 30 or so have traveled together today, have met each other today, have been within 3 feet of each other today, If you and your team program want to end the year... so be it. 

And yes, I am glad I don't share your world views. 

1BD40CE3-D81D-433F-84C4-7F3CCB2DE15D.jpeg

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Ok, it sucks big time, but this virus sucks much much bigger. This is a sneaky SOB as you don't show symptoms but still may be a carrier. The only choice they had. 

Out of reactions due to responses to the uninformed and inferior types, but good post.