Billikens.com Message Board

26 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

If Thatch! can recover 75% of the performance he had that Coach Ford raved about in the preseason, then start planning your trip to Indianapolis for April, 2021, now.

Also, I know some here think SLU in 2020-21 can't replicate Dayton's 2019-20 dominance in the A-10, but I think it's possible — especially if Thatch! can contribute.  And it would also really help if the Bills can take the offseason international trip they're eligible for in August.

Dayton had two players that were virtually unguardable.  We'll have more depth but we only have one guy, Perkins, like that. We don't have an NBA lottery pick to make us the beneficiary of superstar calls/non-calls.  And we still suck at free throws.   Doesn't mean we can't go on a run but we don't have as much room for error as Dayton had.

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Dayton had two players that were virtually unguardable.  We'll have more depth but we only have one guy, Perkins, like that. We don't have an NBA lottery pick to make us the beneficiary of superstar calls/non-calls.  And we still suck at free throws.   Doesn't mean we can't go on a run but we don't have as much room for error as Dayton had.

Plus A10 will be noticeably stronger next year. Dayton had everything going for them, including a really young conference to go thru. 

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri Collins with modest progress (and healthy wrists and hands) makes multiple players "unguardable" (or at least an offensive threat) at any given time.

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Plus A10 will be noticeably stronger next year. Dayton had everything going for them, including a really young conference to go thru. 

When I say the Bills could dominate the conference in 2020-21, I'm not necessarily meaning that they will go 18-0 as Dayton just did.  Would you settle for a performance like the 2013-14 Bills squad without the late-season swoon?

23 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yuri Collins with modest progress (and healthy wrists and hands) makes multiple players "unguardable" (or at least an offensive threat) at any given time.

When I say the Bills could dominate the conference in 2020-21, I'm not necessarily meaning that they will go 18-0 as Dayton just did.  Would you settle for a performance like the 2013-14 Bills squad without the late-season swoon?

I understand, along the lines of highly ranked. 

Posted (edited)

Quality, I agree with your last two sentences.  A couple of weeks back I cautioned against thinking we were a lock to win the A 10 and I still do in light of the teams who have solid squads returning next year.  I didn't take that position thinking the Bills couldn't win the league, just that it was not going to be easy.  We have already seen some early predictions having us in a struggle with Richmond.  Duq also returns everybody but maybe that's not too bad since I think our returning players are much better than theirs.  URI, Dayton and VCU also look to be above average next year and could give us trouble, especially if we are playing them at their home.

Having said all that, I think it is possible that we run the table in the conf next year, I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but maybe $50.  Looking at the talent we have with someone even guesstimating under 20 minutes for Jimerson  (I don't see that happening)  I think TF's biggest problem next year will be that CBB games are only 40 minutes.  Even w/o adding a 13th scholarship next year we need more minutes for 12 players.  Talk about depth, we will have it, especially if Fred can come back and play at least 20 mpg.  This is why I think we might have a chance to pull a Dayton early season tournament type surprise and jump into the top 20 early in the year, and stay there.

The following isn't a prediction, but rather what I think would be a reasonable number of minutes for our existing 12, assuming no injuries/suspensions/transfers.  

HF 32, JG 32, JP 32, JBJ 15, FT, 18, TH 20, GJ 22 , MD 8, MS 13, AL 13 YC 32, DJ 20.  That equals 257 or 57 too many and that's even cutting HF, JG , JP,  GJ and Yuri lower than likely.  A nice problem to have, but, nonetheless, a problem.

Looking forward to next year more than any since Spoonball and I'm not forgetting about the Rick M days.

Edited by bauman
correction

1 hour ago, bauman said:

HF 32, JG 32, JP 32, JBJ 15, FT 18, TH 20, GJ 22 , MD 8, MS 13, AL 13 YC 32, DJ 20. 

18 FT made would tie a Billiken record held by Burns and Johnson.  So who do you think hits 18 FT?  Bet it isn't French.

Other than Free Throws, what the heck are you talking about?

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

18 FT made would tie a Billiken record held by Burns and Johnson.  So who do you think hits 18 FT?  Bet it isn't French.

Fred Thatch maybe?

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Well let's see,  the other 11 are all players, who you would probably recognize if you are a Billiken fan, leaving FT, which coincidently are the initials of the 12th player on the current roster.  His name is Fred Thatch, who was out for most of the year due to a health issue so I can understand why you aren't aware of him. 

worried about not enough minutes? no better time than to unlease havoc defense and full court offense.   run em hard.   make the players beg for a break.  if anyone "paces" themselves, pull em.   no better time than to start the transition from bully ball to a physical track meet.   we have the perfect team make up for it.   do it coach.  

19 minutes ago, bauman said:

Well let's see,  the other 11 are all players, who you would probably recognize if you are a Billiken fan, leaving FT, which coincidently are the initials of the 12th player on the current roster.  His name is Fred Thatch, who was out for most of the year due to a health issue so I can understand why you aren't aware of him. 

Amazed he even came here as his initials were already taken.

19 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

This is encouraging

Go get 'em, Fred. All of Billiken nation is behind you and rooting for your return to Team Blue. 

11 hours ago, almaman said:

Amazed he even came here as his initials were already taken.

His problem was that every school he considered had the same issue

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

Alright everyone, nobody panic. 

Agreed. Just posting without comment. As others have noted about French, this is the right thing for JGood to do.

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Agreed. Just posting without comment. As others have noted about French, this is the right thing for JGood to do.

For sure. Get some good feedback, put on a showcase on our Elite 8 run next year, and get drafted in the late first round. 

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

For sure. Get some good feedback, put on a showcase on our Elite 8 run next year, and get drafted in the late first round. 

Bingo.

The part about "in his mind" his Billiken career is over doesn't make one feel great but I guess that is what he's supposed to say. 

-interesting answer, all the best to you in your decision JGood, looking forward to one more incredible year at SLU

4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

The part about "in his mind" his Billiken career is over doesn't make one feel great but I guess that is what he's supposed to say. 

I thought he added an important disclaimer. He doesn’t want to go into anything without being fully committed. Just like he won’t go into next season without being fully committed to leading our Bills to the A10 championship.

8 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Little SLU love from Rothstein, Goodwin at #4

That's some pretty good pub.

I watched last years A10 championship game with St Bonivanture and then this season's final game against a better St Bonaventure team. Last year we eaked out the win, this year we destroyed them.  The differences between last year's team and this year's are dramatic. 

The defense is similar, though this team has Bell, who is a disruptive force inside. And our guards do a better job of fighting through screens to stay with their man

On offence  we are a much better team.  Last years offense played ugly.  This year if I had to pick one word, I would say smooth.  I think Yuri and Perkins are the two players most responsible for that.

Another thing that stands out is the fast breaks.  It seems like every player who grabs a rebound or loose ball, looks for a player breaking for the basket, sometimes a player well down the floor or one close who is looking down the floor. Yuri is a one man fast break, who either finds an open man or knows when to pull up.

The other thing I noticed is the athleticism of this years team.  It shows up on both ends of the floor.  The dunks are spectacular, Hargrove and French are amazing.  The rebounds are a combination of athleticism, desire and in the case of Goodwn, instinct.