Billikens.com Message Board

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I suspect that having a regular radio show would detract from EAJ's responsibilities as the sports editor for The St. Louis American.

Sheesh!  What I'm saying is that, from his own point of view, doing a radio show would be stretching himself thin.  I don't see how this was a bad post!

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Sheesh!  What I'm saying is that, from his own point of view, doing a radio show would be stretching himself thin.  I don't see how this was a bad post!

it wasn't a bad post...i think some misunderstood your intent.....

4 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Earl Austin was on with Frank today, they had a little Billiken discussion....have never understood why Earl doesn't have his own show....love listening to him...

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

-I'll listen to the podcast, I LOVE Earl, but sometimes the sound quality of his interviews is not at a 2020 level

Here's a short write-up about next year's expectation for the Bills in Eamonn Brennan's mailbag on The Athletic...

In what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, Saint Louis seemed to exceed most people’s expectations and was on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament by the end of the year. With them returning all but one player and getting Fred Thatch and Gibson Jimerson back, do you think they will be a tournament team in 2021? Do you think they will be the favorite in the A-10 with three returning all-conference players, plus an all-rookie team selection in Yuri Collins? — Andy T.

I’m inclined to avoid the latter question, mostly because I’m done trying to predict the Atlantic 10 before the season starts, at least from this distant view. This time last year, we would have put VCU as the nailed-on favorite to win the league; the bigger question about the Rams, now that Marcus Evans was healthy, etc., was how far they might go in the NCAA Tournament. Dayton looked like a quality team that might end up on the bubble, at best. So much for that.

As far as the former, though? Yes. For sure. That looks like a tournament team. What’s more, the more we dig in, the more Saint Louis looks like an early candidate for this summer’s “low-key team that people only gradually realize is going to be really good,” a la Colorado this season. Everybody back? Already good defense? Tipping-point additions? All of the pieces are in place.

SLURadioBoy, making predictions about sports, particularly early predictions, is like learning how to dance in public. As long as you do not mind looking like a total ass, it is a lot of fun to do. Why not? What is not fun to do is to get huffy about being right afterwards.

35 minutes ago, Old guy said:

SLURadioBoy, making predictions about sports, particularly early predictions, is like learning how to dance in public. As long as you do not mind looking like a total ass, it is a lot of fun to do. Why not? What is not fun to do is to get huffy about being right afterwards.

I know this doesn’t mean anything, @Old guy. Who knows what will happen? It’s just nice to see us getting some respect from national media, so I thought I’d share it.

18 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I know this doesn’t mean anything, @Old guy. Who knows what will happen? It’s just nice to see us getting some respect from national media, so I thought I’d share it.

more media attention = better for the program.

23 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I agree with the need for more attention from the media.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

This is encouraging

"training" and " biking 8-10 miles a day"... Ya, I'll go with he'll play next year.  

If Thatch is able to play close to 100% for a full season, look out.

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-guessing you mean primarily as a defensive stopper, I agree

I have a very good feeling about Strickland. Look for his name on the all-conference list in 2-3 years. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Strickland has hops.

Physically, he looks ready to Go already 

Apparently he can dunk

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Strickland has hops.

This video is ridiculous. 

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Apparently he can dunk

He'll fit right in.

Hargrove will have to clean up his dunk contest performance because he has some serious competition at Billiken Madness.

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

This is encouraging

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

We will see, it would be great if he can play reasonably well and be active with the team.

18 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This video is ridiculous. 

Unreal. I needed to change my shorts anyways. Been wearing them for 4 day straight.

Posted (edited)

If Thatch! can recover 75% of the performance he had that Coach Ford raved about in the preseason, then start planning your trip to Indianapolis for April, 2021, now.

Also, I know some here think SLU in 2020-21 can't replicate Dayton's 2019-20 dominance in the A-10, but I think it's possible — especially if Thatch! can contribute.  And it would also really help if the Bills can take the offseason international trip they're eligible for in August.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Typo.

The more I think about the season, the more I'm convinced we're going to be super-wing heavy. Kind of the opposite of the 2012-14 years with three guards and a couple face-up bigs and an undersized PF. 

Next year: Perkins as leading scorer, Jimerson as huge contributor, + Hargrove and whatever Strickland gives. I assume the Swede needs a year to adjust. 

This year: Perkins got a ton of time as undersized 4, but occasionally played the 3 with Bell and French.

I imagine next year that Ford tries to find a way to keep those wings out there. Hargrove looks like he can guard the 4 or 3. Jimerson is a little more limited. I can see Jacobs playing more of a back up role and getting 10-15 minutes. It would help if he can run the point. I can also Goodwin's minutes reduced so that he doesn't play the whole 2nd half (32-34 minutes). Likewise with French.

Peak offense: Yuri, Goodwin, Jimerson, Perkins, Bell

Peak defense: Thatch, Goodwin, Yuri, Has, and Hargrove (sub in Bell for Yuri if they need more size)

Peak trapping: Thatch, Goodwin, Strickland, Hargrove, French

Peak Length: Jacobs, Goodwin, Perkins, Lorentson, Bell

Year ended with 4 who basically needed to be on the court (French, Goodwin, Perkins, Yuri), and 4 whose run depended on matchups and how they were doing (TJ, Jacobs, Weaver, Bell). That first 4 will take up about 120 minutes. The other 80 minutes will be a dogfight between three guys who are already rotation players, and two guys who were pretty good and who add an extra dimension (Thatch, Jimerson). 

1 minute ago, Crewsorlose said:

The more I think about the season, the more I'm convinced we're going to be super-wing heavy. Kind of the opposite of the 2012-14 years with three guards and a couple face-up bigs and an undersized PF. 

Next year: Perkins as leading scorer, Jimerson as huge contributor, + Hargrove and whatever Strickland gives. I assume the Swede needs a year to adjust. 

This year: Perkins got a ton of time as undersized 4, but occasionally played the 3 with Bell and French.

I imagine next year that Ford tries to find a way to keep those wings out there. Hargrove looks like he can guard the 4 or 3. Jimerson is a little more limited. I can see Jacobs playing more of a back up role and getting 10-15 minutes. It would help if he can run the point. I can also Goodwin's minutes reduced so that he doesn't play the whole 2nd half (32-34 minutes). Likewise with French.

Peak offense: Yuri, Goodwin, Jimerson, Perkins, Bell

Peak defense: Thatch, Goodwin, Yuri, Has, and Hargrove (sub in Bell for Yuri if they need more size)

Peak trapping: Thatch, Goodwin, Strickland, Hargrove, French

Peak Length: Jacobs, Goodwin, Perkins, Lorentson, Bell

Year ended with 4 who basically needed to be on the court (French, Goodwin, Perkins, Yuri), and 4 whose run depended on matchups and how they were doing (TJ, Jacobs, Weaver, Bell). That first 4 will take up about 120 minutes. The other 80 minutes will be a dogfight between three guys who are already rotation players, and two guys who were pretty good and who add an extra dimension (Thatch, Jimerson). 

Ironically this is what happened to roster at OK State. And people hated it at the end.