Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board

Recommended Posts

Harvard discovered, and has used for a long time, a test which is very valuable in evaluating articles and papers dealing with areas like epidemiology and sports. It is called the F/B ratio (Facts to bull**** ratio). The list up above appears to have a very low F/B ratio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

You said that it is possible that the virus will have died down my August and so travel restrictions would be lifted - not a quote but generally what you said.  In order to take a trip this August the team would have to be planning it now - why would you plan for it now when you have no idea if you can go.  A lot of work on the come in my opinion.

It IS possible that it has died down by August. But I then said I doubt that it will be in the SAME post... how on Earth would you take that to mean I’m saying we should book our travel trip now?   Maybe poke your head out of the window and get a breath of fresh air.  I promise you won’t get COVID from a few breaths outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

-Michigan State/Xavier/Gonzaga - hopefully play 2 of 3

-SDSU

-2  more "high-level" opponents

SQUIRT ALERT!

Actually we could play all three of them , for example X in the first round, then either MSU or Gonzaga in the semi and the other one in the final. Couple that with a win against SDSU and that idiot that picked Austin Peay ahead of us in his top 25 will have a hard time not including us in a top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

It IS possible that it has died down by August. But I then said I doubt that it will be in the SAME post... how on Earth would you take that to mean I’m saying we should book our travel trip now?   Maybe poke your head out of the window and get a breath of fresh air.  I promise you won’t get COVID from a few breaths outside. 

Obviously I have misunderstood your post at least in your mind so OK.  My point simply was that if you were going to go in August the plans would have to be made now if not sooner and given that we have no idea if travel will be a good idea then why would you do that - that is all  I was trying to say.  Perhaps you should take this situation a bit more seriously - I promise you won't regret it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y’all. Lorentsson just put this on Instagram . It’s a story so you’ll have to look at it in the next 20 or so hours or someone needs to record it. But this is something else. I think our Swede is going to fit right in

https://instagram.com/stories/andrelorentsson/2268431335252346300?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=nt09ms8eclxm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Y’all. Lorentsson just put this on Instagram . It’s a story so you’ll have to look at it in the next 20 or so hours or someone needs to record it. But this is something else. I think our Swede is going to fit right in

https://instagram.com/stories/andrelorentsson/2268431335252346300?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=nt09ms8eclxm

-not very adept with social media, I don't see a story when I click but wonder if he is bring the blonde in the third picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Obviously I have misunderstood your post at least in your mind so OK.  My point simply was that if you were going to go in August the plans would have to be made now if not sooner and given that we have no idea if travel will be a good idea then why would you do that - that is all  I was trying to say.  Perhaps you should take this situation a bit more seriously - I promise you won't regret it.  

I’ve been working with COVID patients in an ICU every night for the past two and a half weeks. So believe me, I take it plenty seriously.  Again, I was not advocating booking a summer trip now.  Still not sure how you got that from my initial post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the P-D article today, Coach talks about needing a few more difficult games and that he now believes that NET is impacted more by who you play than if you win a game.  The way I read it, the Thanksgiving tournament and the S D St game all give our SOS a boost next year, but also we need a couple of similar quality games.

One thing that could be considered as a double-edged sword is our anticipated improvement next year as indicated in the early preseason rankings.  While it might keep some schools (can you say SPUMAC?) from wanting to risk a possible, maybe even likely, loss it might also open up the possibility of scheduling other schools, who are looking for quality opponents.

I note in another thread that someone suggested a H & H, 2yr contract with IOWA.  I like that.  It is close and could open up a nice rivalry.  A couple other schools that we have some history with that I would like to see are Butler and/or Xavier.  Both are annual NCAA invitees who could improve their seeds by playing a strong Billiken team.  Both are teams that are in a reasonable distance for fans to travel.  Both are teams that have drawn big crowds to Chaifetz in the not too distant past.   Maybe the biggest impediment to getting any of them on our OOC schedule is the fact that their conferences are continuing to grow Conference games which decreases the number of OOC games they have to schedule.  Finally, one other possible way to improve OOC SOS is to try to predict the stronger teams in non-P6 leagues, e.g. BYU, St Mary's, and sign 2 yr deals with them.  I'm sure none of this is easy but that's why they pay May and Ford the big bucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the NET issue that Ford brings up is that the NCAA will tell you anything just make you go away.  They told the Valley to schedule better to improve their RPI and so they did and then they were told the RPI is not that important - SWMo was the one stuck with that lie.  So do you really believe them - I get it Ford has to play along but I don't trust those guys.  They only care about protecting the P5 or whoever falls into that category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I could have posted this in last years thread, but with allmost the whole team going forward, I decided to post it here:

I watched the St. Bonaventure game again that had Dr. John Giannini, former Lasalle coach as the analyst.  It was also apparent that he spent some time with Ford before the game. The game is available on the Stadium web site.

Giannini quotes/paraphrases.

Goodwin, there is no one like him in the nation.
The first thing that SLU works on in practice every day is, fast break basketball.
Perkins, starting, not starting, no difference, its what you do for the team. Thriving in his role.
Yuri goes medium speed, not to fast, to read the floor.
Bell and French kept
Osunniyi (All conference 3rd. team) out of the paint.
Hargrove, part of a spectacular recruiting class.
Can you imagine if Hargrove becomes the kind of shooter Ford thinks he can be with that kind of athleticism.
 French put a blocked shots number in the record books that will last forever.

Osunniyi can’t get in position against Bell.
SLU, this is energy and athleticism unleashed.
Had Crutcher missed that last second shot in that Dayton game, SLU wins and they are an at large team right now.
Before the game, we had Kyle Lofton, guard on St. Bonaventure, as an all-conference first team, and Yuri has out played him.
SLU has great intangibles: Goodwin and French love playing defense, Perkins doesn’t care if he starts and Yuri is poised and unselfish.
SLU, they can get 4 star recruits here, that doesn’t always happen in the A10.
French is a monster.
Goodwin is the best rebounding guard in the NCAA and Ford says a great leader.
I can see why Ford thinks Hargrove can be a shooter, in addition to his outstanding athleticism.
Goodwin is a coach on the floor, in the walk throughs before the game, he was telling his team, what St. B will be doing next.
I am really impressed with Perkins, he is really good going left, even in the NBA, you would be surprised by the number of players that favor their dominant hand.
SLU appears to be peaking at the right time and did the same thing last year.
SLU had so much to replace from last years team and nailed it, recruiting Perkins, Collins, Bell and Hargrove.
French has unbelievable numbers, incomprehensible numbers, that 99% of players can only dream of.
Nobody runs better sets and better offence than St. B, and SLU covered all of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having had some days off over the past week, I've watched the SLU-St.B replay a few times and have to say that it was as dominant a performance as I've ever seen by a Billiken team. The D completely stuffed the Bonnies' offense, the effort on the boards was great, and the fast break offense was like watching a freight train going downhill. The halfcourt offense was precise and resulted in one open shot after another. The Bonnies didn't know what hit them or which direction the hits were coming from.

When our A-10 record was 7-5 following the LaSalle game, I think most of us would've gladly taken 12-6 for a final record. The last six games all had their potential pitfalls with VCU, Rhodey, and St. B being the ones where a struggle could be expected, while also being on the road at UMass and Mason, and home against the Joeys considering the struggle we had to beat them in Philly. Going 5-1 was very good and the frustrating thing was losing to UMass after building a 16 pt. lead. I believe that we were going to take down the Bonnies again, get our revenge over Dayton, and defeat Richmond for the A-10 title. Our guys were playing that well to end the season.

Here's my Top 10 list of things I enjoyed most from the season:

1. Watching Jimerson aka Jimmmerson knocking down threes but also showing that he is more than just a catch and shoot player.

2. Seeing slu72's prediction about Yuri come to life. (Also meeting slu72, tarheelbilliken, and others at the Davidson game, and chatting with Rammer and Earl prior to the game.)

3. Has' amazing athleticism with his ability to run the court and block shots.

4. JGood's work on the defensive end and glass.

5. TJ coming from riding the pine to showing off just how much upside potential he has (credit to Hubie Brown for coining the phrase "upside potential.")

6. Watching The Locomotive power his way to hoop for timely buckets.

7. Has' incredible performance against Belmont.

8. The OT win on the road against LaSalle aka “The Josh Hightower game.”

9. Javonte's emergence as a flat-out baller.

10. Winning the final five games all by double digits.

Assuming there is a next season, I can't wait to see how our players develop and if they can pick up where they left off this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aquinas said:

 

I could have posted this in last years thread, but with allmost the whole team going forward, I decided to post it here:

I watched the St. Bonaventure game again that had Dr. John Giannini, former Lasalle coach as the analyst.  It was also apparent that he spent some time with Ford before the game. The game is available on the Stadium web site.

Giannini quotes/paraphrases.

Goodwin, there is no one like him in the nation.
The first thing that SLU works on in practice every day is, fast break basketball.
Perkins, starting, not starting, no difference, its what you do for the team. Thriving in his role.
Yuri goes medium speed, not to fast, to read the floor.
Bell and French kept
Osunniyi (All conference 3rd. team) out of the paint.
Hargrove, part of a spectacular recruiting class.
Can you imagine if Hargrove becomes the kind of shooter Ford thinks he can be with that kind of athleticism.
 French put a blocked shots number in the record books that will last forever.

Osunniyi can’t get in position against Bell.
SLU, this is energy and athleticism unleashed.
Had Crutcher missed that last second shot in that Dayton game, SLU wins and they are an at large team right now.
Before the game, we had Kyle Lofton, guard on St. Bonaventure, as an all-conference first team, and Yuri has out played him.
SLU has great intangibles: Goodwin and French love playing defense, Perkins doesn’t care if he starts and Yuri is poised and unselfish.
SLU, they can get 4 star recruits here, that doesn’t always happen in the A10.
French is a monster.
Goodwin is the best rebounding guard in the NCAA and Ford says a great leader.
I can see why Ford thinks Hargrove can be a shooter, in addition to his outstanding athleticism.
Goodwin is a coach on the floor, in the walk throughs before the game, he was telling his team, what St. B will be doing next.
I am really impressed with Perkins, he is really good going left, even in the NBA, you would be surprised by the number of players that favor their dominant hand.
SLU appears to be peaking at the right time and did the same thing last year.
SLU had so much to replace from last years team and nailed it, recruiting Perkins, Collins, Bell and Hargrove.
French has unbelievable numbers, incomprehensible numbers, that 99% of players can only dream of.
Nobody runs better sets and better offence than St. B, and SLU covered all of it.

“SLU appears to be peaking at the right time, and did the same thing last year”....don’t you think this can be said of most of TF’s teams since he has been at SLU? One year we were picked to be the team most likely to not win an in conference game, and actually won a game in the league tournament.

On the way home from the Bonnie’s game, Earl talked about building a program.  With the success TF has had in the recruiting classes coming in behind these seniors, the future is bright if everyone stays and continues to develop.

mhg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AGB91 said:

i thought that Gianni was one of the best prepared analysts I've heard.

No bombastic takes, just solid facts and observation

I agree with you Giannini was the best neutral, color analyst of any I watched this year.  He truly seemed to take a very neutral approach to the game.  My only minor issue with him is the fact that he did not seem to know about Jimerson as I think he talked about the recruiting class twice and left GJ off both times.

I hope we draw him for some games next year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bauman said:

I agree with you Giannini was the best neutral, color analyst of any I watched this year.  He truly seemed to take a very neutral approach to the game.  My only minor issue with him is the fact that he did not seem to know about Jimerson as I think he talked about the recruiting class twice and left GJ off both times.

I hope we draw him for some games next year.

 

 

He may have never seen him play. Hence no comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

“SLU appears to be peaking at the right time, and did the same thing last year”....don’t you think this can be said of most of TF’s teams since he has been at SLU? One year we were picked to be the team most likely to not win an in conference game, and actually won a game in the league tournament.

On the way home from the Bonnie’s game, Earl talked about building a program.  With the success TF has had in the recruiting classes coming in behind these seniors, the future is bright if everyone stays and continues to develop.

mhg

I think Coach Ford has proven to be much more than a good recruiter.   He has nagociated significant problems and loss of players, and improved the teams record every year. He isn't just signing players based on national evaluations, while some of his recruits have 3 stars are better, a significant number have the minimum 2 star rating.  It is clear, that he doesnt just sign the highest rated player availabe and hope for the best.  That doesn't mean however that every player works out. He has demonstrated that he can find recruits who have the skills and character that will improve the type of team he desires. He is also excelling at devloping the players he has signed.  There are numerous examples. Bess couldn't shoot with any range when he got here, 2 years ago Jacobs looks totally overmatched in his limmited minutes.  The improvement Jacobs made over the summer stunned everyone on this board.  At the beginning of this year, Bell struggled and Hargrove looked completley lost on both ends of the floor.  By year end, Bell was stopping some of the best bigs in the A10 and Hargrove was making significant contributions.  Beyond just performance, Ford has motivated his players to play as a team and to maintain a good attitude even when things were difficult for them. 
Yuri and really all of the players are selfless, looking to make the extra pass to another player for an easy layup  Perkins has excelled as the 6th player. This selflessness is not easy, in this Me First culture, but it is at the core of Team Blue. Ford has earned the respect and trust of his players. They believe in him as a guilde to thier personal development and for the direction of the team, both long and short term.  The players also believe in each other.
Ford has a long term vision for the program, that is clear to see at this point.  He has also proven that he can modify game plans and strategy through the course of a season to match the players that are available.  He clearly preps the team for being ready at conference time.  One of the best examples of that was starting Bell at the beginning of the season and making sure he gained valuable experience, as he knew he would need more than a 4 guard team to match up with better teams in the A10 and any post season tournament.

Ford believes in his players and his players believe in him and each other.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

-Michigan State/Xavier/Gonzaga - hopefully play 2 of 3

-SDSU

-2  more "high-level" opponents

SQUIRT ALERT!

U left out Auburn. This Orlando tourney could be big for us come March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

U left out Auburn. This Orlando tourney could be big for us come March. 

Auburn won’t be very good, maybe the 4th or 5th best team there. Many computers have them preseason ranked in mid 200s. They graduate their top 6 players from this year. I believe they do have a 5* coming in, which is keeping them from being maybe the funniest one season turn around we’ve seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AGB91 said:

i thought that Gianni was one of the best prepared analysts I've heard.

No bombastic takes, just solid facts and observations.

I agree. I hated him as a coach, with all his whining, but I do enjoy him as an analyst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

which is keeping them from being maybe the funniest one season turn around we’ve seen. 

Sir, I'd like to remind you of the 14-15 billikens

35 kenpom in 2014 to 289 in 2015

 

 

Fwiw, I remembered it was bad. Forgot quite how bad. 289?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Sir, I'd like to remind you of the 14-15 billikens

35 kenpom in 2014 to 289 in 2015

 

 

Fwiw, I remembered it was bad. Forgot quite how bad. 289?!

true,  still think a team coached by Pearl, with his recruiting, gives them the slight edge, considering we had crews. 

As of now Auburn will go from 33rd to 255th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I think Coach Ford has proven to be much more than a good recruiter.   He has nagociated significant problems and loss of players, and improved the teams record every year. He isn't just signing players based on national evaluations, while some of his recruits have 3 stars are better, a significant number have the minimum 2 star rating.  It is clear, that he doesnt just sign the highest rated player availabe and hope for the best.  That doesn't mean however that every player works out. He has demonstrated that he can find recruits who have the skills and character that will improve the type of team he desires. He is also excelling at devloping the players he has signed.  There are numerous examples. Bess couldn't shoot with any range when he got here, 2 years ago Jacobs looks totally overmatched in his limmited minutes.  The improvement Jacobs made over the summer stunned everyone on this board.  At the beginning of this year, Bell struggled and Hargrove looked completley lost on both ends of the floor.  By year end, Bell was stopping some of the best bigs in the A10 and Hargrove was making significant contributions.  Beyond just performance, Ford has motivated his players to play as a team and to maintain a good attitude even when things were difficult for them. 
Yuri and really all of the players are selfless, looking to make the extra pass to another player for an easy layup  Perkins has excelled as the 6th player. This selflessness is not easy, in this Me First culture, but it is at the core of Team Blue. Ford has earned the respect and trust of his players. They believe in him as a guilde to thier personal development and for the direction of the team, both long and short term.  The players also believe in each other.
Ford has a long term vision for the program, that is clear to see at this point.  He has also proven that he can modify game plans and strategy through the course of a season to match the players that are available.  He clearly preps the team for being ready at conference time.  One of the best examples of that was starting Bell at the beginning of the season and making sure he gained valuable experience, as he knew he would need more than a 4 guard team to match up with better teams in the A10 and any post season tournament.

Ford believes in his players and his players believe in him and each other.  

I agree with this entire post and the Ford has made a lot of bad in game decisions is overblown and wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Earl Austin was on with Frank today, they had a little Billiken discussion....have never understood why Earl doesn't have his own show....love listening to him...

 

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

I suspect that having a regular radio show would detract from EAJ's responsibilities as the sports editor for The St. Louis American.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...