Billikens.com Message Board

4 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Jgood is staying. Also any word on potential extra year of eligibility for everyone?

No, winter sports aren’t getting a reprieve 

32 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

It's interesting that Pitino went to Iona.  While he has a reputation as a big time coach and recruiter, how many big time players are going to want to play in the MAAC?
There are advantages of playing just outside of the Power 5, as a team that comes together late in the season can make a run in the conference tournement and get there, either as the winner or close in late as the Billikens did and were doing when the plug was pulled and have a shot at an at large bid.  

The MAAC really stinks.  That means you have to win the conference to go to the NCAA tournement.  The good news is that winning it doesn't require a very good team. They are 24th in the Net rating with the best team being Siena at 151.  For comparison, the A10 is 8th, best team Dayton at 3.  Or look further down the list to what is a weak year for the Missouri Valley and they are 11th and best team Northern Iowa at 48.

There are 7 conferences where the best team ranks over a 100, that are higher ranked than the MAAC.  7 of the MAAC teams are over 200 and 2 of those are over 300. Fordham would rank 6th, of the 11 teams in the MAAC. This means that Iona will have a very weak conference schedule.  To improve the team's overeall schedule would require a really tough non conference schedule. Pitino has the connections to probably get good teams to play him. 

There won't be much interest in non Iona fans watching Pitino and his team play in the MAAC.  I just can't see many good players wanting to play for him in that conference. 

i think you are underestimating the legend of slick rick.   exceptions to the norm will be made for him on the way to march 2021 assuming his team is winning and dominating the conference.  watch and see.  the 5 high level graduate transfers interests me and i will be paying attention as i am sure a lot of folks will.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think you are underestimating the legend of slick rick.   exceptions to the norm will be made for him on the way to march 2021 assuming his team is winning and dominating the conference.  watch and see.  the 5 high level graduate transfers interests me and i will be paying attention as i am sure a lot of folks will.

Yes, he will do quite well. He will get a lot of the best second tier players who think they are big time. He'll get his guys who have NBA aspirations (even if there talent is not at that level).

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Never underestimate the power of free hookers. 

31 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

Interesting that he has Thatch as a projected starter and doesn’t list Jacobs.  Rothstein is usually one of the more informed national guys when it comes to the Billikens.

Actually, 32 sounds about right -- to start the season.  We would need to beat some really good teams -- so who,  besides SDSU, is ahead of us on this list, that we might play and upset them?  If we go like 9-1 or 8-2 with a signature win, I would guess we might spring into the top 25 by Christmas.  Plus, we are at the top of A10 on this list; w/ Richmond at #35.  Dayton nowhere to be found.  Boy they must be grinding their teeth even more than Dilliken fans right about now...

9 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Actually, 32 sounds about right -- to start the season.  We would need to beat some really good teams -- so who,  besides SDSU, is ahead of us on this list, that we might play and upset them?  If we go like 9-1 or 8-2 with a signature win, I would guess we might spring into the top 25 by Christmas.  Plus, we are at the top of A10 on this list; w/ Richmond at #35.  Dayton nowhere to be found.  Boy they must be grinding their teeth even more than Dilliken fans right about now...

Gonzaga and Michigan State.

47 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Gonzaga and Michigan State.

Also, although not ahead of us,  Xavier is at # 37.  In theory we could play all three of them in the Thanksgiving tournament.  Win that along with S D St and we would be looking at top 15, maybe even top 10!

One other interesting note is that he shows

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Caleb Love (CBC) as starting for UNC

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Interesting that he has Thatch as a projected starter and doesn’t list Jacobs.  Rothstein is usually one of the more informed national guys when it comes to the Billikens.

take his player projections lightly, it's just players thrown together. He even has a player for Kansas as a starter but also says the same player is a key departure 

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Also, although not ahead of us,  Xavier is at # 37.  In theory we could play all three of them in the Thanksgiving tournament.  Win that along with S D St and we would be looking at top 15, maybe even top 10!

If we win all of those games (and assuming no losses to that point), I don't see how we'd be ranked lower than top 10. 

Just now, wgstl said:

take his player projections lightly, it's just players thrown together. He even has a player for Kansas as a starter but also says the same player is a key departure 

Yea, definitely wasn't taking player projections too seriously. 

I really hope Coach can get us one more T25 team. 

or a top 50 road game at the least 

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Besides being #1 in A-10 on this list, also great there are only two Big East teams ahead of us: Villanova (#2) and Creighton (#7). 

What, no Hall? Marquette? Butler? Gtown? 

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

Besides being #1 in A-10 on this list, also great there are only two Big East teams ahead of us: Villanova (#2) and Creighton (#7). 

What, no Hall? Marquette? Butler? Gtown? 

This was the BE's year. So many upperclassman.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Also interesting from a local recruiting perspective, Illinois is projected as 40 and Mizzou is.... not listed. 

32. Saint Louis

G Yuri Collins
G Jordan Goodwin
G Fred Thatch
F Javonte Perkins
C Hasahn French

Key Losses: None

Key Newcomers: Markhi Strickland

Projected Bench: Jimmy Bell, Gibson Jimerson, Terrance Hargrove Jr., Markhi Strickland

The Idea of our bench looking like this, makes me wonder how they would complete in the bottom half of the A10. 

Pg Jacobs

G Jimerson

G Strickland

F Hargrove

C Bell

B Hankton, Hightower and Diarra

59 minutes ago, wgstl said:

32. Saint Louis

G Yuri Collins
G Jordan Goodwin
G Fred Thatch
F Javonte Perkins
C Hasahn French

Projected Bench: Jimmy Bell, Gibson Jimerson, Terrance Hargrove Jr., Markhi Strickland

The Idea of our bench looking like this, makes me wonder how they would complete in the bottom half of the A10. 

Pg Jacobs

G Jimerson

G Strickland

F Hargrove

C Bell

Bench would compete very well

12 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Bench would compete very well

-I agree

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

32. Saint Louis

G Yuri Collins
G Jordan Goodwin
G Fred Thatch
F Javonte Perkins
C Hasahn French

Pg Jacobs

G Jimerson

G Strickland

F Hargrove

C Bell

The great thing about Ford's recruiting and where he has this program is that we can be excited for what's ahead beyond next year.  There have been very few times in the history of SLU basketball that we could look past a great class like our seniors next season and find hope.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Since he's a 180 shooter, I'd put Lorentsson ahead of Hankton.

-even better

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The great thing about Ford's recruiting and where he has this program is that we can be excited for what's ahead beyond next year.  There have been very few times in the history of SLU basketball that we could look past a great class like our seniors next season and find hope.

the big incoming freshman class we had after RickMas seniors left looked good on tape, but we had no proof if they would be good.  I like that these frosh we had didnt just sit on the bench, they played. Now we can rest assure they'll have a career ahead of them. 

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Since he's a 180 shooter, I'd put Lorentsson ahead of Hankton.

i dont know how much you watched hankton shoot this year (mostly in warmups since he rarely played), but his shot is pretty much gone.   it was bad.