Billikens.com Message Board

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Penny coming in for the swoop 

-well, he's not being subtle about it

Having MEMPHIS all in caps makes me wonder about his post. After the Wiseman deal, I started to wonder if Penny might not be a John Calamari in training. He's landed a lot of talent there in two seasons. And one thing always stuck out with me about Memphis, they've had a history of keeping good local talent at home. Who knows if Crutcher might be open to checking out of Dayton. Right now it doesn't appear they have a lot going for them next year, assuming Obi does jump ship, so he might think a move to Memphis might give him a shot at what he thought he'd get this year.

On an aside, I do feel bad for the Dayton fans. I've never found them to be obnoxious or overbearing. They are pretty much down to earth folks who love their Flyers. Also, the city of Dayton had a pretty horrific 2019, ie tornado and mass shooting, the team was something the whole city was rallying around this winter to ease the sting of the summer tragedies. I feel for them. 

25 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure where to post this. Apologies if someone already did. Found the caption interesting:

Thattttttts interesting, sounds like he may go pro, no reason to play else where. 

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

I took heat last time I brought this up for some weird reason, but here it is again..  Jacobs is in a interesting position. I think if its assumed Fred is back, I'd watch and see what Jacob does. 

I think Jacobs is safe. At this point in time you cannot assume how long Fred will manage to play per game, or how well he will play. This will only be shown in active play. Jacobs will have to be patient, but in my opinion he will be OK.

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Not sure where to post this. Apologies if someone already did. Found the caption interesting:

Buzz on Twitter is UConn fans talking a reunion with Hurley

39 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Buzz on Twitter is UConn fans talking a reunion with Hurley

i wonder if he had a falling out with cox or something. He was unstoppable and then just wasn’t. And if he’s leaving now so quickly

I don’t want to be too alarmed, but Jgood’s latest IG post doesn’t make me feel great. 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I don’t want to be too alarmed, but Jgood’s latest IG post doesn’t make me feel great. 

I think he was just saying peace to a good season?

Oh I don't know, maybe he's incensed that the team was on a roll and had more to give in the season ?

It's like some of you want to find reasons to be chicken littles.

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Peace to the season and heart broken that it couldn’t have been played out 

edit: why did markhi and jimmy use the 🤞 emoji, i Dont like that

I think there is a chance Jordan enters the draft, though I can’t imagine he’d remain in through draft day.

I have minimal concern about him transferring. Jordan had as much reason as anyone to transfer after his freshman year and remained committed. Can’t see that changing now, when we’re on the brink our best season in years.

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Peace to the season and heart broken that it couldn’t have been played out 

edit: why did markhi and jimmy use the 🤞 emoji, i Dont like that

Means they’re tight, close, boys. JGood gonna destroy the A10 next year.

39 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Means they’re tight, close, boys. JGood gonna destroy the A10 next year.

JGood will be All-America (1st-, 2nd-, or 3rd-team) next year!

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

You are consistent across the board. I can respect that!

My favorite aspect of the off season is "old people try to figure out meaning of emojis of teenagers".  I fall into the category of also having no idea what they mean so in the same boat.  Wonder if duolingo has an emoji course.  

On 3/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I smell Pitino. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Sorry, dipped a little too far into the vodka last night. 

Hey, Moy, you're a Billiken die hard. You've earned the right to be paranoid. I didn't see any hidden message in JGood's post. I also don't see any good reason for him to be checking out now. He's the team leader on a very good team. 

I think im being too optimistic about next season, but oh well.  Im pretty confident when I say if we dont make it to the round of 32, I'll be disappointed

It's interesting that Pitino went to Iona.  While he has a reputation as a big time coach and recruiter, how many big time players are going to want to play in the MAAC?
There are advantages of playing just outside of the Power 5, as a team that comes together late in the season can make a run in the conference tournement and get there, either as the winner or close in late as the Billikens did and were doing when the plug was pulled and have a shot at an at large bid.  

The MAAC really stinks.  That means you have to win the conference to go to the NCAA tournement.  The good news is that winning it doesn't require a very good team. They are 24th in the Net rating with the best team being Siena at 151.  For comparison, the A10 is 8th, best team Dayton at 3.  Or look further down the list to what is a weak year for the Missouri Valley and they are 11th and best team Northern Iowa at 48.

There are 7 conferences where the best team ranks over a 100, that are higher ranked than the MAAC.  7 of the MAAC teams are over 200 and 2 of those are over 300. Fordham would rank 6th, of the 11 teams in the MAAC. This means that Iona will have a very weak conference schedule.  To improve the team's overeall schedule would require a really tough non conference schedule. Pitino has the connections to probably get good teams to play him. 

There won't be much interest in non Iona fans watching Pitino and his team play in the MAAC.  I just can't see many good players wanting to play for him in that conference. 

53 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think im being too optimistic about next season, but oh well.  Im pretty confident when I say if we dont make it to the round of 4, I'll be disappointed

FIFY